Says He's on Board - But seems reluctant
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Says He's on Board - But seems reluctant

I'm having a hard time w/ my DH. He "says" he's on board, but I want to do "envelopes" and he says, "We've tried that before." He says, "If I have the money I'll spend it."

I say, if you use a debit card for lunches or snacks "every once in a while" I can't keep up with it.

He says "I don't spend that much anyway." but to me the way he wants to do it is "un budgeted for" and too hard to manage.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know DH and I are the same way as your DH with cash. If I have a dollar I find something to buy. If I have to swipe my card, I think twice. I don't understand it, but I go with it now.

We created virtual envelopes in an excel program. When I go to the store, I have a budget and deduct the amount from the "envelope" DH doesn't do much shopping. He just gets gas and the odd groceries once in a while. It works for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It won't help with the budgeting, but you could keep up with the debit card use by checking your account online daily and post them as soon as they show up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2-3 View Post
    I know DH and I are the same way as your DH with cash. If I have a dollar I find something to buy. If I have to swipe my card, I think twice. I don't understand it, but I go with it now.

We created virtual envelopes in an excel program. When I go to the store, I have a budget and deduct the amount from the "envelope" DH doesn't do much shopping. He just gets gas and the odd groceries once in a while. It works for us.
    So do you just have him tell you when he spends money so that you can add it to the excel spreadsheet. ??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by adavant View Post
    I'm having a hard time w/ my DH. He "says" he's on board, but I want to do "envelopes" and he says, "We've tried that before." He says, "If I have the money I'll spend it."

I say, if you use a debit card for lunches or snacks "every once in a while" I can't keep up with it.

He says "I don't spend that much anyway." but to me the way he wants to do it is "un budgeted for" and too hard to manage.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

What is HIS suggestion on how to do it? Somehow find a way to SHOW HIM that his: "I don't spend that much anyway." still counts and IS spending money.

Ditch his debit card until something is agreed upon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    What is HIS suggestion on how to do it? Somehow find a way to SHOW HIM that his: "I don't spend that much anyway." still counts and IS spending money.

Ditch his debit card until something is agreed upon.
    LOL, how the heck do I "ditch" his debit card?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL, how the heck do I "ditch" his debit card?
    "X" amt. of money - CASH--for his 'goodies' and let HIM budget his own 'goody' money. If he agrees on the budget -he needs to learn to DO/follow the budget.

Thus.........no need for the card.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"X" amt. of money - CASH--for his 'goodies' and let HIM budget his own 'goody' money. If he agrees on the budget -he needs to learn to DO/follow the budget.

Thus.........no need for the card.
    I totally agree, just don't know how to MAKE him DO IT!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally agree, just don't know how to MAKE him DO IT!
    You are much more patient than I would be...........and you probably won't 'make him'............but...........

Hand him the money--CASH ---(you have agreed on an amt. right?) ---"here is your 'goody money' until X" ---fill in the date. When his mouth drops to the floor -----remind him that BUDGETING is as much about 'him' as it is about 'US' ---'you'---'me' ----etc. When he 'whines' that he will just spend it............then again.......REMIND HIM---that he will then just DO WITHOUT until the next 'budget money' is released!

Sort of like his 'goody payday'............

You are PARTNERS in this..............you are not his MOTHER!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Interesting situation. Instead of 'How do you make him do it?" I think you need to find out "Why he won't participate?"

While it took a couple of months for us, I asked my DH how much he spent every single evening and then posted it daily. It's a process and sometimes it takes our spouses a little longer to catch on.

Does he really understand that you need to budget?
    Good luck and please let us know how it's going for you!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is how we do it:
    each week DH has his own 'fun' money, I have mine, the amounts were set to what we agreed upon. Each Friday, we withdraw that amount (in cash) for ourselves. Any other expenses (grocery, household bills, loan payments, savings, etc.) comes from the checking account where our income deposit to. Savings transfer to different accounts. If we really need more, we shall raise the 'fun' money ONCE every quarter.

DH likes that idea, he said he has a lot more cash onhand to spend however he likes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Interesting situation. Instead of 'How do you make him do it?" I think you need to find out "Why he won't participate?"

While it took a couple of months for us, I asked my DH how much he spent every single evening and then posted it daily. It's a process and sometimes it takes our spouses a little longer to catch on.

Does he really understand that you need to budget?
    Good luck and please let us know how it's going for you!!
    He understands why we need to budget he just "claims" he'll spend less if he doesn't have "cash in hand" and that CASH makes him wnat to spend. He says he won't know where the CASH goes. He'll pick up a snicker bar here a coke there and it'll be gone fro when he really wants something like "lunch". WE don't have a budget for him to eat out at lunch I send his lunch usually sandwiches.

I have also begun packing him a Bfast since he leaves so early in the AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are much more patient than I would be...........and you probably won't 'make him'............but...........

Hand him the money--CASH ---(you have agreed on an amt. right?) ---"here is your 'goody money' until X" ---fill in the date. When his mouth drops to the floor -----remind him that BUDGETING is as much about 'him' as it is about 'US' ---'you'---'me' ----etc. When he 'whines' that he will just spend it............then again.......REMIND HIM---that he will then just DO WITHOUT until the next 'budget money' is released!

Sort of like his 'goody payday'............

You are PARTNERS in this..............you are not his MOTHER!
    Precisely, I dont' want to be his MOTHER, but the issue now is that he calls me when he wants to go "out to lunch" and he says, "Can I spend a little on lunch today?"

I feel like I have to say yes or no. I don't like being put in that situation. I want him to be in control of his money and me not have to do that. You know?

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's always the option of a preloaded credit card instead of the debit card. Decide how much is within budget for the month load the card, confiscate the debit card.

You don't have to ask him what he spends and on what=Not feeling like your his mother, and you don't have to worry about the budget=Peace of mind. This may not be the ideal solution but it sure beats the Can I buy lunch, please phone calls.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    There's always the option of a preloaded credit card instead of the debit card. Decide how much is within budget for the month load the card, confiscate the debit card.

You don't have to ask him what he spends and on what=Not feeling like your his mother, and you don't have to worry about the budget=Peace of mind. This may not be the ideal solution but it sure beats the Can I buy lunch, please phone calls.
    Awesome where do I get one of those "pre-loaded" credit cards and do they cost?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast