Ugh... he's killing me here! :P - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That if he's out on the street because you've lost the house, the car has been repossessed, etc. that he still will be broke! His choice, he can grow up and be responsible NOW or pay for it LATER.

I'm getting DH to do baby steps, but it's frustrating!

If you spend $500/month on groceries, then you're spending $6,000.00 a year. 20% of that is $1200.00 a year. Ask him what he could do with an extra thou?

If he likes that idea, then you should show him the receipts, how much you save AND the net result.

Also, I WOULD budget SOME play money, if at all possible.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmmm. I missed the good news too...That's GREAT!!!

Judi
    Last edited by Judi Dial; 10-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yay!!!

Awesome news - complete 360. Hubby is now using coupons!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, sounds like my son.

Being new here, you can choose to ignore if you like BUT when he tires of one game(s) he can take them to game stop and sell them and use that money to buy another game. I for the life of me do not understand why someone needs one of each different game boxes. You can save a fortune on games.

I agree with a PP, he needs to grow up. Has he been tested for fibromyalgia? Does he really want to work? Just a few questions to think about.

Judi, my husband and I ended up in that boat you are scared of maybe climbing into. I had to go on Social Security Disability for the 2 ruptured discs in my back but we didn't have any of my income for 6 months which was significant as I brought home 4000.00 each month. Now my disability is not even half of that.

We are starting to get more frugal, we have to, our cc's are maxed out and our savings is gone. We are blessed that the house is paid for and hubby has a job.

Good luck and happy frugal living to everyone!
    Suzanne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's not a question of needing to grow up. He's not throwing tantrums or anything like that. He now understands the situations and is going with it.

We found out last week that he has a paraumbilical hernia which is constantly strangulating his intestines.

Yes, he wants to work. He's missing as few days as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Dope View Post
    What does he want to spend money on? Sometimes he just wants to buy himself something to make himself feel better, since he's sick and in pain just about every second of his existence, I guess. Right now, we have a very, very small house, so when cabin fever hits, it's not pretty. I've tried just taking a walk with him, but he needs to get out and go somewhere. He's a gadget guy, so he has a PS3, WII, tons of games, a brand new smartphone (but I gotta hand it to him - he actually paid nothing for the phone AND we got $$ BACK from it! One of the few frugal bones in his body....), and iPod... so of course, his favorite store is Best Buy.
    (
    I can relate to this, except I am the one who gets cabin fever easily and DH is content to chillax at home. Although, I don't enjoy shopping so that part I cannot relate to.

Not knowing where you live and a proximity to things like libraries or museums I can only tell you what we enjoy that is either free or costs very little. We walk a lot, we are fortunate to live in a town with well kept walking trails, parks and access to the River, we sometimes bring snacks/water and just sit and watch the water etc.

We also love the library (genealogy research mostly) it is free unless you make a copy. We also enjoy historical society stuff even if it has nothing to do with our own research and there are many museums or societies that are free or cheap admission with lots of great stuff to see. Sidewalk art festivals and demos are free usually also.

Other than that I don't have much help, my DH and I are of like minds when it comes to money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is he up for surgery then? Or is there another way to deal with it that is cheaper? I've just read this whole thread and I'm really impressed with how you worked this out in the end. I must admit the one thing that would bother me would be holding up a line of people with a stack of coupons. If you're going to use a lot of them, go when the store isn't busy. People will thank you for it. And hubby will probably feel better about the whole thing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234