Hubby finally agrees to cut cable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Hubby finally agrees to cut cable

I have been complaining about the price of our cable bill for years. I just don't understand paying someone $120 a month for a bunch of things I don't even watch, and watching hubby channel surf for 20 min. or more trying to find something to watch and then end up watching something we have seen a million times before or he finds something on a channel we can get for free. Slowly but surely he has come around and asked me "what are we paying for ?" he has seen the light Cable goes off tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went through the same thing a few years trying to get rid of movie channel packages we never watched but paid for every month.

We can't drop satellite service here or we'd have nothing, so I'm okay with keeping basic service, local channels, and one movie channel package. But I know what you mean about the same things being on over and over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we keep our sattelite as that is our entertainment. We dont go out to eat or go out so we have to have some outlet..lol

CONGRATS!! just think what you can do with that $120 a month~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got a special rate for 2 years for basic cable, phone, and internet. When that is up we are getting rid of cable and phone and keeping internet only. That isn't TOO far away!

WTG!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats............that is one small step.......keep it up and when he really sees what can be done with the savings he might get totally on board!!

WTG

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a lot of money to be able to put away. Have basic here but keep on thinking I should try netflix or hulu plus. Am so old school when it comes to tv. Still like being able to turn the tv on even though I could watch shows on the computer. Really is silly since I sometimes watch shows on the computer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We watch Netflix on the TV, so it doesn't have to be done on the computer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cable

We haven't had cable in almost a year. I keep up with news and weather online and we watch Netflix on TV or computer. It's only $7.99/month compared to my cable bill which was $60/mo. I like saving $$$ more than I liked watching cable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't missed it one bit, this will be the first weekend off for hubby without...I'm sure he will have a few complaints till he gets used to it. I told him I would give him $20 dollars a month, if he lets me use the rest for paying down the bills and saving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow, $120 a month!! We live up north in a rural area in the summer, all we get is 2 PBS stations on the antenna. No cable available, and we both refuse to pay $29/month for satellite.

In the winter we are in a condo down south that gets cable, about 55 channels. I swear, with the exception of TCM, there is almost NOTHING to watch. (Except DH likes football). We have seen so many good programs on the PBS channels. I am not interested in news, Kardashians, real housewives, etc....

At home we also have a VCR and a lot of videos. If there is nothing on PBS we watch a video.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So frustrating paying all that money. having all those channels and often times finding literally nothing to watch except endless commercials.
    In our old place we went to just basic cable and then added Netflix. Who knew life would carry on without food network & HGTV but it does.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Who knew life would carry on without food network & HGTV but it does.
    Say it ain't so!!!!

LOL If we had to cancel cable - we probably could go w/o it. DH can find stuff for me to watch online. Netflix is garbage up here in Canada for the time being - only airs 1980's movies, nothing else. A lot more would get done around here but then I can guarantee that dad would get into WAY more mischief then conceivable

But the idea of not having an idiot box to make me 'smarter' is intriguing. And yes, would save us extra money

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I enjoy having cable and a TV and it is a luxury, but with our lifestyle, it's pretty much our only form of "entertainment" that the whole family can enjoy together. We also read and play board games, do art, put on music and dance around, but it's nice to cuddle together with a movie or use one of my DD's favorite shows as a reward. DH and I have 4-5 shows that we watch regularly, none of which are reality shows, and I enjoy looking forward to watching them with him and talking about them. We never get to go out, so I think if we turned off cable we'd probably end up spending a bunch of money on other things out of boredom.

But for those who don't like TV too much... more power to you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That would not go for us... I wouldn't mind but grandma watches tv 24/7 it is never off except when she is gone.....But I think it would be a good experiment too see if u can do with out it...oh Grandma couldn't 3 days without cable over the winter she had a nervous fit

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We gave up cable a few months ago. We now have Sprint phone & internet. 160$ to about 60/mo. I haven't missed it yet & enjoy the 2 PBS channels I now have. (only 1 with Basic extended/Comcast)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast