How did you get your spouse to convert to frugality?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question How did you get your spouse to convert to frugality?

I haven't completely done it.Its still taking some work.I think once he realizes that he can do without somethings we would be better off.But more or less he's pretty great with it.I think mostly cause I run everything that has to do with the household and I don't make him do anything so he just kind of sits back and watches.lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My DH and I grew up in frugal families..

My DH and I grew up in frugal families..
    However my Frugality and my DH frugality was diffrent but now we are reaching for the same goals.
    I became frugal when I was 12 years old because my Dad got hurt on the job and that was are biggest source of income was from my Dad so I became even more frugal than in my earlier years.
    My DH has been frugal almost all his life because his dad comes From Mexico and had to work to put himself through school Here in the USA.
    Another Reason my DH is frugal is because his dad was the only one working and going to school all at the same time so my mother-in-law stayed home to take care of my DH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We weren't frugal at all!

Once I digested the information, I took him on a grocery shopping expedition.

When he saw we bought 3+ weeks of groceries for about the same as we would spend on 1 he was sold!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It took me a VERY long time. Dh grew up in a large family and money was very tight. He was sorta of the "I want it and I want it now" mindset. Anyway I secretly started snowballing payments on our debts and then as we paid them off I told him what I had been doing. Before long he was asking where we stood and how much longer....he was saying how much could we save if we did this or that...he was comparison shopping, ETC. It was a MAJOR breakthrough for us. When I quit nagging him and just started doing it, things got a lot better with frugality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine wasn't 100% sold until he lost his job (corporate downsizing), and we first had to live on drastically reduced income, and then no income. We were able to do it because I knew exactly what to cut out of our spending, and because we had a healthy savings account We had a healthy savings account, in part, because I had been practicing frugality for a couple of years, after too many spendthrift years. The fact that we didn't accrue one cent of debt during his unemployment is a source of pride for me....and now he is sold on most of the stuff I do......heck, I even catch him re-using the coffee grinds on occasion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I turned the bill paying over to DH when he and I were first married so that he could see where the money was actually going. That helped convert him fast!!! LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dh isn't completely frugal. He has a long way to go, but so do I. But, last month I sat him down and explained to him that we were going to make some changes. We have too much debt, nothing to show for it. And, we blow money. I told him that we were going to start our allowances first thing in 2003. Once you have spent your allowance that's it. We have made it through the first week great! Dh promised he would help me stick with it, by sticking with it himself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't converted him but am working on it! I am still learning a lot myself. I have gotten some wonderful tips and information here and hopefully when I put them into action and he sees what kind of money we will be saving he'll be hooked!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think I have had to convince my dh about frugality. Sometimes I think I'm frugal and sometimes I wonder. But anyhow, the things I do, do he is happy about. He is all into saving money even more than I am. Since I grew up very poor and now that I'm doing a little better since I'm married to him, sometimes it's hard for me to not get the best of this or that, but at the same time, precisely because I grew up poor, I can't exactly see myself spending too much either.

Sorry got off the topic. I would say that he is great w/me doing all these frugal things.

Nelly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh has always been somewhat frugal, but he's converted to my total frugality now. He loves hearing my stories about how much we save in groceries, likes that I'm a "cheap date" w/free movies and dinners, and he was completely converted when he saw how much money we were able to save in anticpation of my maternity leave a few years ago. Once you physically show them, men usually come around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In some ways dh is more frugal and in other ways I am. I would spend a lot more on clothes but on the other hand I wish he was better at eating leftovers. He just hates them! After a year of putting money away in our emergency fund he finally gets it! He spends less on gifts for people but I am better at paying our credit cards on time. So I guess we work together at watching our money!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH grew up in a very affluent area. He always jsut wants to go buy things. I rein him in and we do comaprison shopping. I grew up on welfare/food stamps, so have always been frugal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH is pretty well on it. He just doesn't pay to much attention to what I do or don't do, unless it is about the credit cards. I mail out the bills. We usually keep each other in line.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine, although raised in a frugal home, isn't really frugal...... He does stand back and admire my work though ......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hubby was that way when I met him. His parents grew up during the depression and have always made do and used everything till it dropped & then probably found another use for it.
    They are very well off but you would not know it by the home they keep or the clothes they wear. No redecorating going on in their house ever. Everything is like the 70's.Orange kitchen table,avacado (sp) green appliances,etc. They are loving & generous people who just don't see the need to spend money on new things, especially for themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast