Getting HIM on board..???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool Getting HIM on board..???

Any great ideas for getting your husband to actually READ the total money makeover? I've read it and convinced him to implement the envelope system, budget and debt snowball, and we're doing very well, HOWEVER.. He doesn't "GET IT" because he refuses to take the time to read the book. I've even tried the audio book but he's skeptical of everything. We have the money to pay off 1/2 his truck, but he thinks it should be left in the savings acct. (yah, a whopping 3% interest while he's paying 13% on his stupid truck) grrrr

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I couldn't get mine to read it either. We watched the DVD series and that helped Dh tremendously. They were passing a copy around on the TMMO boards. If I couldn't have borrowed them I would have bought them and considered it $ well spent. Dave on the dvd series was very very entertaining.
    Best of luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot to add that at first he was oh gee boring............when I asked him to watch the series with me. I told him that since he loves me he would do it just to make me happy or I'd argue. Ok not the best I could have said but it worked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tell him that if he reads the book from cover to cover, you will be his sex slave for a week.

Only kidding!

Seriously though, with a lot of guys, they don't like being told by their other half what to read and not read. Slowly slowly catches the monkey - leave it in the bathroom as "reading material". Or on the breakfast bar where he eats before he goes to work. Start every second conversation with "Dave says...."

Subtle reinforcement really does work. Men like to think they have made their own decisions about things. A smart woman makes the decision, then sets up scenarios for her man to see the same facts (presented in a simpler light, of course ) and eventually most will come round to your way of thinking.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did the bathroom trick. Seriously, the only thing available to read in there was the TMMO. It took about 6 months for him to get through it, but read it he did. Just found a tiny table and only had that book on there, put his off-roading magazines juuuuust out of reach (I'm such a meanie!!), and it worked. My pages got a little weathered from the dampness, but it was worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, leave it in the bathroom and make it the only reading material available, eventually he will read it and hopefully he will start understanding that what your trying to do will benefit both of yous and your family in the long run.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went on the debt snowball calculator and showed my DH how soon we could have cc's and cars paid off. Wow did that work well. I think I will try the bathrm thing as well though........lol. Never thought of that. (I am thinking ohhhhhhhh their are some smart women on FV)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What if you had it on cd or tape for him to listen to? Some guys just don't like to read as much as others. Plus, that you could listen as you drive around town. Small doses of reality are sometimes better than being hit over the head with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the great ideas. I actually did try leaving it in the bathroom.. he read a couple pages, but you know what he does? He goes to the bookshelf and grabs a new book before heading to the bathroom! GRRRRR!!!
    Ok, I'm going to attempt to make him listen to it in the car with me as we're driving.. funny how he'll listen to Clark Howard but my Dave suggestions fall to the wayside. I agree that he needs to think he's making the decisions.. just haven't exactly figured out how to best do that yet!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do that! I put all the important stuff in the bathroom...books, articles, things hubby needs to sign. We call it the "cave" or "library".

But my hubby is starting a new business on the side of his full time career. Problem is when he makes extra $, it always gets absorbed into the household on stuff we need. He has to study his new job for awhile, so he doesn't have time to read Ramsey.

But I came up with a solution. He walks & runs. I am going to download the radio show MP3s onto his iPod. He loved the idea. I'll let you know how it goes...!

Heartfelt Thanks to all of you on this board. You inspire me