Frugal Village Forums banner

Low Fat/Sodium Gift in a Jar Ideas

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  KatieJo 
#1 ·
I'd love to make some gifts in a jar for my dad for Christmas as he loves to cook. I would love some low fat/sodium ideas as both my mom and dad follow a diet.

#2 ·
Gifts in a Jar

15 Bean Soup Mix

1 pound dried black beans
1 pound dried red beans
1 pound dried kidney beans
1 pound dried navy beans
1 pound dried great northern beans
1 pound dried baby lima beans
1 pound dried large lima beans
1 pound dried pinto beans
1 pound dried green split peas
1 pound dried yellow split peas
1 pound dried black eyed peas
1 pound dried red lentils
1 pound dried green lentils
1 pound dried brown lentils
1 pound dried cranberry beans

Combine beans in a very large bowl. Pour 2 cups into a large wide mouth jar.

Attach this to the Jar:

15 Bean Soup Mix

2 cups 15 bean soup mix
1 smoked ham hock( Can be omitted)
2 cans 14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
6 cups water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin

salt/pepper to taste

Cover bean mix with water and soak overnight. Drain beans and place in a stockpot. Add ham hock, tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat; reduce to medium low, cover and simmer 1 hour. Add remaining ingredients; continue to simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve warm. If you really want to be thoughtful, you may include the spices in a separate bag included with the jar.

Bean and Pasta Soup mix

3/4 cup Dried onion flakes
1/2 ounce dried Celery flakes
1/2 cup Dried parsley flakes
3 tablespoons Dried basil
3 tablespoons Dried oregano
2 teaspoons Garlic powder
2 teaspoons Coarsely ground pepper
4 ounces beef bouillon granules
1 package dried black-eyed peas -- (16 Ounce)
1 package dried kidney beans -- (16 Ounce)
1 package dried navy beans -- (16 Ounce)
1 package small shell pasta -- (16 Ounce) Uncooked

Combine first 7 ingredients; divide evenly, and place in 6 airtight plastic bags. Add 2 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon bouillon granules to ech package. Label "Herb Mix" and seal.

Combine black-eyed peas and next 3 ingredients; divide evenly and place in 6 airtight plastic bags. Label "Bean Mix" and seal.

Place one bag herb mix, 1 bag bean mix, and bag pasta in a gift container; repeat procedure with remaining bags. Yield: 6 (3-bags) gifts.

Directions for gift recipe card: Sort and wash ben mix; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; soak 8 hours. Drain.

Combine beans, 3 quarts water, herb mix, 1 carrot, chopped, and 2/3 cup chopped cooked ham in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Add 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes,undrained, and pasta; cook 20 minutes.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Bean-Pasta Soup Mix serves/makes 6 gift sets

Texas Cornbread Mix In A Jar

1 Cup yellow corn meal
1 Cup sifted flour
1⁄4 Cup sugar
1⁄2 Teaspoon salt
4 Teaspoon baking powder

Recipe Instructions (included on gift tag):

1 container (2 cups) Texas Cornbread Mix
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup soft shortening (Crisco)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease one 8-inch square pan, or 8-inch cast iron skillet, or cast iron cornbread mold.

Place cornbread mix into bowl, mix thoroughly. Add egg, milk and shortening. Hand-beat until smooth, about one minute. DO NOT OVERBEAT!

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes for pan or skillet, 15 to 20 minutes for cornbread mold.

#3 ·
No recipe but have to share an idea/gift that I got with you...might get the creative juices going!

I got the cutest gift last Xmas.

It was similar to the 15 bean.....but I think she just changed all the beans to colorful ones. Put the very colorful beans in a large clear square jar (wish I knew where she got it........really cute)....then put a ruffled cotton material top over the lid (think circle with ruffle around it) and put the seasonings in matching bags of the cotton on the lid......fastening them with a ribbon around the lid.
(hope this made sense) THEN......she sewed a strip of the same cotton on a tea towel .......like one from the dollar store.

It was really cute and I am sure if you go to a grocery store that has bulk food the beans wouldn't be too bad to buy! Cheaper than buying all the packages.

It was a really cute gift. Enough for two batches of beans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.