Paying Tuition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying Tuition

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Paying Tuition

Hi, this is my second post. I found this forum about a week ago when I faced the fact that financial meltdown was imminent. I knew it was coming I just couldn't deal with it. I don't think there is a space for personal thoughts that don't contribute to a topic so I decided to jump in here with a goal.

This month I have to pay my tuition for college, a car repair bill that is at least $500 and start paying the $600 monthly tuition for my sons school. We don't have it, just flat don't have it.

MY GOAL: is to take money from savings to pay my tuition on the 22nd then slash the budget and pay savings back within the month. That's all I can deal with at this moment. But, even getting through this month won't solve our problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are you able to make payments on the car repair? Could you talk to the kids' school and do a different payment plan?

I like your idea of slashing the budget. We were in the same boat a few years ago. First, we made some big changes to our lifestyle ~ stay out of the stores, stay home for meals, tell your closest friends we were making some big changes so they could support us in our efforts. We made little changes; meatless meal once per week, turned of lights/electronics not being used, line dry items, etc.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! You just need to make a plan and stick to it even if it's not always fun. You will get AMAZING ideas here! Best of luck & keep us posted!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to frugal village! You have come to the right place for ideas and inspiration.

Make yourself at home and good luck!! We will be waiting to hear your progress.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good morning and welcome. My heart goes out to you.
    You can blog here on the village to write your day to day or monthly feelings. You can still post while doing so for support which you need. I don't have a blog so don't know how to start it but many many do. Just ask.
    You will find support here and people to talk to when you're down. You'll find many ideas, just start reading. If you can't find then start a post.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is payday. I'm going to structure my budget just for this pay period. The next two are going to be the big ones. I haven't pulled from savings yet but I'm still going to have to.

Thanks NicoSan, Debbie-cat, and missyali. I would like to start a kind of a personal progress log to keep my motivation going, if anyone can tell me where to start one I would appreciate that.

My grocery budget needs to get better and my goal is only one dinner out for our anniversary. (14 yrs next week)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was at Wal mart yesterday and noticed that there was a bunch of meat that was going to be marked down today. I went in a 7 AM and I think I have enough meat for hopefully the next month, we use it almost every meal (dinners) but usually in a portion that is more akin to a side dish.

Every bit counts, I still have access to a small allowance and the problem is that I already spent it. Bad on me, but as long as that's it I'll be happy with myself. The splurge was a clearance dutch oven, nice cast iron with the enamel interior. It was $50. I'm putting it away and giving to myself as my Christmas gift.
    Last edited by Roses5; 08-12-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: changed one word

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We made it to another payday, just barely. The car repair is paid off, my books, and sons school is covered. There is one more payment on my tuition and then I can start working to repair our savings.

This place has been great motivation. I have fallen down but keep trying. I was tempted to shop again today, a special edition Vera Bradley stadium blanket was calling my name. But I thought it's crazy that the second I have money in my account something "special" "must have" comes out, I am not going to go down that road.

Goal: Pay savings back. (I would like for it to take a month but realistically it will probably take a minimum of two months.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Roses5 View Post
    We made it to another payday, just barely. The car repair is paid off, my books, and sons school is covered. There is one more payment on my tuition and then I can start working to repair our savings.

This place has been great motivation. I have fallen down but keep trying. I was tempted to shop again today, a special edition Vera Bradley stadium blanket was calling my name. But I thought it's crazy that the second I have money in my account something "special" "must have" comes out, I am not going to go down that road.

Goal: Pay savings back. (I would like for it to take a month but realistically it will probably take a minimum of two months.)
    LOl, I got an email about that blanket too. I think you made the right choice on passing it up, next week you won't even remember it.
    Personally, I'm a shopper and I like nice things. It wasn't' until I got into a big hole and joined this sight that I realized those things weren't as important as I thought and that if I don't get my finances under control I won't ever be able to afford nice things again.
    good luck to you and welcome

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe you should turn off the emails from the shopping sites. It might help if you don't know about the sales. You can't be tempeted to spend money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stay away from shopping sites and focus on your goals. Make a chart for the fridge and cross off each dollar saved for the bills or that goes into savings. Watching the total grow will inspire you to stop spending money on items you don't need, just want. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would you believe my hearing about that Vera Bradley blanket came from a local magazine I was looking at while waiting for an appointment? I don't get, or look for shopping deals online at all anymore.

A new bill came up and a one day slip cost me $150.

• The new bill is a homeowner's insurance deductible for roof repair.
    • The Slip:
      beading supplies $14
      lunch out $11
      gifts $54
      race entry fee $72

I could kick myself, I need to have zero personal spending for the rest of the month to make this right. Next week I will be making final payment on my tuition for this term and paying the deductible. I don't think there will be anything left over for our savings.

Goal: No personal spending for the rest of the month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, this is my second post. I found this forum about a week ago when I faced the fact that financial meltdown was imminent. I knew it was coming I just couldn't deal with it. I don't think there is a space for personal thoughts that don't contribute to a topic so I decided to jump in here with a goal.

This month I have to pay my tuition for college, a car repair bill that is at least $500 and start paying the $600 monthly tuition for my sons school. We don't have it, just flat don't have it.

MY GOAL: is to take money from savings to pay my tuition on the 22nd then slash the budget and pay savings back within the month. That's all I can deal with at this moment. But, even getting through this month won't solve our problems.
    Well, that car repair ended up being more like 1200.00. My most recent goal was to not have any spending slip ups for the rest of the month. I'm happy to report that I did not have any further financial missteps this month.

Since that first post in August we have paid my tuition, lowered my sons monthly tuition, payed for the car repair, and have 1000 in emergency savings.

Our last major barrier to getting on track is the unexpected roof repair bill. I think I can make the homeowners insurance copay with the next pay period and then focus on building up savings and emergency funds since another tuition bill will be right around the corner in January.

Love this place!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

December is here. I determined to take a break from school, partly to get us back on track and party because I needed the break. Savings is paid back and Christmas has been cash. No progress on the credit card but I am putting everything we can into savings so that we can put a house on the market that we currently have tenants in. Need to have all the contingency funds we can gather to get through this storm.

Goal:
    15-20% of our monthly income going into savings until the house goes on the market in April. It might be hard with the holidays but I did it last month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

February, time flies. We are not in crisis now that I am not paying tuition but we are still focusing on that 15-20% savings each month. We should be ready to put our rental house on the market and be able to afford it sitting empty for around 5 months before my savings + tax return dries up.

My prayer is that hopefully it will sell quickly and we won't have to come to the table with any money.

Goal: 15-20% monthly income to savings

*Challenges my husband needs new USAF uniforms and a $200 car part, we will succeed!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One day at a time. You can do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast