Libby's 2012 Goal - To turn her home, into a *real* home - Page 2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, a *real* home.... sounds nice after 18 years in this home, I find myself looking around saying "What the heck? Who lives here? Clutterbugs, it seems." I really really want to focus on transforming my rooms into places I love being and looking at when the sun comes up or the lights are on! So I have to come up with a punch list of things that will transform and I am in need of this thread for inspiration and motivation. Can I join you and use this thread to cheer each other on??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG Libby! I need to purge my craft room. We are making such dramatic changes in our budget that I am afraid to take on too many projects at once so I may wait a few weeks until we are comfortable with our new budget project. Of course with no eating out we are home more so lots more time to get things done!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Sumacaroni View Post
    Oh, a *real* home.... sounds nice after 18 years in this home, I find myself looking around saying "What the heck? Who lives here? Clutterbugs, it seems." I really really want to focus on transforming my rooms into places I love being and looking at when the sun comes up or the lights are on! So I have to come up with a punch list of things that will transform and I am in need of this thread for inspiration and motivation. Can I join you and use this thread to cheer each other on??
    Of course, join me!! Anyone else who wants to turn their home into a *home* - join in!! The more the merrier and yes we can cheer each other on.

Quote Originally Posted by hmcart View Post
    WTG Libby! I need to purge my craft room. We are making such dramatic changes in our budget that I am afraid to take on too many projects at once so I may wait a few weeks until we are comfortable with our new budget project. Of course with no eating out we are home more so lots more time to get things done!
    You do what you can at your own pace. Small changes can have huge impacts

I forgot to add - DH & I are planning on re-doing the basement in the future (within a year or two) so painting walls (and moving/building walls) etc will not be included for now unless enough funds become available. My main goal is to not be living with boxes of 'stuff' around. Without the stuff lurking, we will have more room to rearrange furniture etc so that we will get to our desired *homey* feel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Without the stuff lurking, we will have more room to rearrange furniture etc so that we will get to our desired *homey* feel.
    Lazyboy in front of the TV with a tray next to it for beer. That's all the rearranging you need to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For now I'll just cheer you all on, when I get a home you can cheer me on. Deal ?

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, here I go.

~Decluttered the left side of my bedroom

~Decorated the top of my bookcase with my white pottery. They all are serving pieces. I figure it works because the bookcase is in the dining room side of the dining room/living room.

~Began decorating the top of my china cabinet. Waiting till I unearth more treasures as I declutter to add more. But I have the peanut canisters (gift from DSD) and a handmade wreath made out of field grasses. Made by another GF, a gift.

~Brought out the quilt, giant pillows, and shams to use on one of the sofas in the living room.

I plan on having the boys bring down the sofa from the attic to put in our living room. I'll put the sofas in an L shape, like a sectional sofa. Coffee table in the corner. That's on the agenda for Saturday.

Decluttering attic stairs and cleaning the bottom of DH's closet is on the agenda for Friday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Done! Done! Done!

Attic stairs completely free of clutter and swept, thanks to DS2. He was very helpful today!

Bottom of DH's closet cleaned out. I put the white shoe shelf (that my Mom sent over), in there. It fits beautifully. We could use another one to set on top of that one, I think? Dh has big shoes.

Pulled out his vinyl luggage. He needs to dust it and put it in the attic. Oh boy do I hate that luggage. He got it free through some club like 25 years ago. Every time we use I feel like DH should have on a Members only jacket, an unbuttoned shirt and gold chains. *yuck* This stuff just won't die, and we won't replace it if it's still good. But it's horrid. Our youngest has used it twice, but the third time he needed luggage he decided he'd rather fill a garbage bag. LOL! My MIL saved the day and let him borrow their luggage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

polly - your progress sound amazing!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great going guys!! I couldn't wait to join this thread, but needed to wait until I was in a position and had the energy to commit!! Did you ever think, Libby, that there would be so many of us joining you? Mahalo for getting us going and I know exactly what you mean and I did take before pictures of our LR!!

Polly - would it would to store out of season clothes in the awful luggage? At least it would be put to some use!!

Since we have totally moved out of our storage unit, we have boxes everywhere downstairs. While we are blessed with a very large two story town house - that just means more space to ppile everything - and that's what our downstairs floor - two bedrooms and a family room - looks like. The only room downstairs that is in good shape is the bathroom!!

So today - in between working on everything else that needs to be addressed today, I am working on the LR. Shall post what I get done later!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Definitely did not think this many would be joining in with me maui Thanks guys!!

I *need* to make this *OUR* home....this is my goal I have been guilty of scoping out 'pretty living rooms' from online decor & style magazines this weekend and drooling the entire time. Don't get me wrong - my lv rm will be far from the magazine type lv rm but it will be better then what we have now if I have a say in it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Maui, I just want them out of sight. They belong in the attic till needed. Maybe I'll luck out one day and a squirrel will break in and decide that it loves those ugly old suitcases and makes it's nest in them. Oh I shouldn't be that way, shame on me. I should be grateful to have luggage, and have luggage that's such good quality that it won't die. I really need to adjust my attitude about that hideous luggage, we could have nothing to use but grocery bags for luggage. *snort*

Aww thanks Libby. I'm not as far as I wanted to be, my helpers flaked out on me. Hopefully I'll get back in gear here soon. I'm going to focus on catching up on housework for the next few days I think. But I'll check back in to see how everyone else is doing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

okay Libby, got side tracked, set back how ever you want to put it. This weekend envolved DS moving back into our home, which means everything in my craft room went into boxes and either out to shelves in the garage, in my kitchen, or in my living room.
    color me totally and completely dejected
    So need to regroup and replot what my strategy is going to be

good going to all who have been moving forward.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday DD1 and DD2 helped me go through a bunch of clothes. I tried on clothes and they told me whether each item looked good or not. I have 3 trash bags ready for Goodwill! They also helped me go through a box of cards, paper keepsakes and junk. I got it all sorted and everything put away. That box netted two Walmart bags of trash. Yay!!
    Last edited by daylily; 01-09-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was able to get the kitchen done last saturday. Emptied out cabinets, shelves and everything off the walls and started fresh. We eventually want to repaint, but I can't decide on a color. (I know in the yellow family). I scrubbed out all the cabinets, drawers and cleaned the walls. Replaced only the necessities and threw out broken or "never" used items and placed a couple things in our garage sale (goodwill) box. After 6 hours (<- yes 6 hours) I had a nice "new" kitchen. We have been able to keep it looking great and I have fallen in LOVE with it again.

This Saturday, I will be working on the living room. We have so many DVD and CD's we don't even watch or listen to.

Good luck to everyone!

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOW!! You ladies are on a roll!! We only moved here six months ago, with the clothes on our backs LOL so we don't have a clutter problem - we've just managed to acquire the basics! But I need to organize and to decorate (one entire room is basically just waiting for me to get to it). So I'd like to join in on making our house a home!

- I put together two Ikea bookcases for the office/piano room earlier this week. One of them is not straight so I need to take it apart and put it together again. Then I need to fill them up with books and stuff.... that's next week.

- I totally reorganized the pantry and the linen closet today! This was huge. It means I can now move an enormous amount of stockpile stuff out of the kitchen cabinets and into the pantry, which will give me back my kitchen cabinets so I don't have to be up on the darn stepladder multiple times a day. I'm planning to do that tomorrow.

- Earlier this week I reorganized the craft closet. The craft closet isn't really a closet. It's more like a small cupboard - all the more reason for it to be well organized, though. I made an organizer for my ribbons too.

I now have TONS of extra storage space I didn't have before - and I didn't even purge anything. Tomorrow I'm going to stock up on coffee (they're having a great sale) so after I get home, I'm going to pull EVERYTHING out of the kitchen and redo my entire stockpile storage system.

(I secretly LOVE doing this sort of thing though. I also love anything having to do with home decorating.)

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast