2016 20 Wishes Challenge
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2016 20 Wishes Challenge

Map out your goals and support one another in achieving them. This will be in any and all areas that you wish to improve. (organization, debt reduction, saving, menu planning, pantry and stockpiling, project completion, etc)
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OOops! This one needs you to edit NikoSan, and put 2016 in the title of the thread, so it's not confused with the others. I'm in on this one, as always.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll probably join this one, too. We did so well this year, and I'm hoping we can get at least as much done next year, too.

I'll post my list when I get it figured out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    OOops! This one needs you to edit NikoSan, and put 2016 in the title of the thread, so it's not confused with the others. I'm in on this one, as always.
    I messaged Russ to add 2016 to the front of it. If you find anything else let me know.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did pretty well last year, though I didn't check in too often. For me this kind of posts is a great reference to what I was planning to do. Last years goal was buying a house. Though it did give me a lot of headache and worry, I did manage to do so eventually. Next years goal is to renovate said house. You will notice most of the wishes are related to that. Also I might not reach 20, that is ok. I have had a serious warning about overdoing from my body this year, so it doesn't matter to me how many goals I have, just that I actually do them.

1. Paint the living room white.
    2. Get the electrician to come, or find a new one and get him to come.
    3. Get a price offer for the walls that have to be built downstairs.(Yes, this is a different point, I am at 3 attempts for the electrician so far and I am not sure this guy is jumping with joy for the job).
    4. Get the guy to come to build the walls.
    5. Get a price for the building of the bathroom.
    6. Get the guy for the bathroom to actually come and build the bathroom.
    7. Paint the living room old rose or something similar.
    8. Paint the master bed room light blue.
    9. Put the insulation in the living room (for this I am going to need help).
    10. Put the insulation in the master bed room.
    11. Put the insulation in the kitchen.
    12. Replace the floor in the living room.
    13. Replace the floor in the kitchen.
    14. Paint the second bedroom (we made this room under point 4).
    15. Put in some kind of garden

That is going to be plenty. If I manage to do this I am going to be very happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Need to come up with some goals for the New Year. I did well in the areas that were most important to me this year. I need to build on them this year...drinking more water, healthier food choices to improve my high cholesterol levels, scheduling time with my family. It helped me stay more focused on what is important in life. Need to do some thinking on this one before I post.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm struggling with coming up with 20 Wishes this year. I've basically done everything that I wanted, for the most part, in past years. A lot of this year centers around earning money to do the other things. Lack of finances is our big holdup. So I really need to be extra frugal this year. But that's for other challenges...

So for this year...so far...

1. Buy a new-to-us car.
    2. Save $1500/mth. minimum (for car & renovations)
    3. No more than $50/person/week on food.
    4. Have a garage sale in April.
    5. Get another congenial boarder in.

6. Clean up emails.
    7. Work on rug hooking/art business 5 days a week.
    8. Update portfolio.

9. Time with DH every week.
    10. Daily time with God.
    11. Connect with my children once a month.
    12. Take one artist date a week.
    13. Read a book a month.
    14. Finish a project every month.

15. Work on health issues 2 afternoons a week.
    16. Exercise 3x per week for 30-60 minutes.

17. De-clutter house one room at a time.
    18. Plant a successful patio garden.
    19. Re-landscape yard using what's here.

I'm leaving 20. blank because something always comes along later to work on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So here's the game plan for January. I know, I'm a day or two early. But I'm setting up my planner now.

1. Buy a new-to-us car - not happening till Fall in all probability.

2. Save $1500/mth. minimum (for car & renovations) - Goal is actually $2000/mth, but I don't think that's possible with our budget structured the way it is now. DH is resistant to changing it at the moment.

3. No more than $50/person/week on food. - This works out to $400/mth for DH and I. I think this is doable. With the picky eating boarder it was $600/mth. I am doing a pantry/freezer inventory on Saturday, followed by menu planning and a grocery list for Monday's shopping excursion.

4. Have a garage sale in April. - In order to have stuff to sell we need to de-clutter. So we'll be working on that starting Saturday too. DH and I agreed to set aside Saturday to clean together.

5. Get another congenial boarder in. - We are struggling here. Need to talk to our contacts and see who we can find. We have strict requirements and house rules.

6. Clean up emails. - Working on my business email account this month.

7. Work on rug hooking/art business 5 days a week. - Cleaning up email, updating portfolio, hooking another larger wall hanging.

8. Update portfolio. - see above.

9. Time with DH every week. - need to make a list of free and easy date nights.

10. Daily time with God. - have a couple of devotional books beside my chair to work through.

11. Connect with my children once a month. - DD#2's bd is the end of the month, so we'll connect with both of them then.

12. Take one artist date a week. - Make a list of artist dates and do them!

13. Read a book a month. - Reading "The Rules of Wealth" by Richard Templar

14. Finish a project every month. - this would be my rug hooking wall hanging. Then my hardanger bellpull, which is 99% finished.

15. Work on health issues 2 afternoons a week. - I have a couple of exercise books to work through. Will pick one and go with it until I feel I need a break. In which case I'll switch to the other.

16. Exercise 3x per week for 30-60 minutes. - I'm actually aiming at 30 minutes a day, with the goal of actually fitting in 30-60 minutes every two days.

17. De-clutter house one room at a time. - this feeds into having the garage sale in spring. DH & I will be doing this together starting this Saturday. I'll talk to him about cleaning out the basement next. I'm on paper purge mode.

18. Plant a successful patio garden. - I'll check out my seeds, but this is not a January project for me as I do not start plants indoors from seed. I direct sow in pots on the patio come spring. And I buy herbs already started because our growing season is so short and we do not have the proper equipment to start them indoors.

19. Re-landscape yard using what's here. - had to move all the plants from the front perennial bed in the fall when the sewer and water line were replaced. They are heeled in in the backyard. We'll wait to make sure the City isn't going to replace their sewer and water line before we transplant them back in the front yard.

That's it for January. That's a lot! Hopefully I can accomplish everything. Off to enter it all in my daytimer now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here are my 2016 goals
    I based them on my challenges for 2016 and limited it to 10 this year.

1) 9000 steps a day, tracking with fitbit. (get stepping challenge)
    2) 2 household tasks done a day on work days and 4+ on nonwork days. (To do challenge)
    3) Set and keep a grocery budget (Grocery budget challenge)
    4)Put extra savings/earnings towards paying off last loan and saving for Daughters 2017 wedding. (12/16/16 challenge)
    5)Save change for Christmas budget (change jar challenge)
    6)1 new recipe a week- healthy versions (Try new recipes challenge)
    7) Eat out only on special occasions and only with coupon/gift cards etc. (No eating out challenge)
    8) Maintain weight (or lose a few more #'s) by continuing to keep water as my beverage most of the time and healthier food choices. - 15 minutes a day for core strength exercise (Lose a # a week challenge)
    9)Journal my progress on living frugally to keep myself accountable - continue to learn ways to save money. (frugal challenge)
    10)Continue to plan weekly contacts with my parents, children and grandson. THIS IS #1!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So I've been contemplating Artist Dates this evening. I've done a lot of them over the years. Some worth repeating, some not. Here's my current (very long) list of options. As there are only 52 weeks in a year and I'm planning on one date a week, it looks like I might have enough here for 1 1/2 years. However, there are bound to be duplicates which I will have to weed out when I'm more awake...

My 2016 Artist Date List

1. Set a timer, and spend an hour working on something you’ve been putting off.
    2. Grab a stack of magazines, and clip whatever looks interesting or cool to create your own inspiration board.
    3. Write a letter – longhand, on pretty paper – to an old friend.
    4. Give yourself a beauty treatment – a cuticle treatment, a foot soak, exfoliation, hot oil treat, have a bath with candles, a face mask, chocolate (or your treat of choice) and do your toenails with a more adventurous colour than normal!
    5. Send a care package to your best friend or to a family member… just because. Take time and care to put loving and thoughtful things into it. Be creative. Make things. Be as careful with the packaging as you are with what you actually put into it. Include notes and loving sentiments. Get as much from it as they will in receiving it.
    6. Choose a fantasy mentor. Take time to read their books, watch their videos, learn about their life as an artist. Let them inspire you.
    7. Try an all-day drawing marathon. Wherever you are, take your journal or sketchbook and start drawing. You could participate in a SketchCrawl event: SketchCrawl - drawing marathons from around the world
    8. Create a self-portrait.
    9. Find a fun, new creative blog to read.
    10. Have a technology-free day.
    11. Create an accomplishment board
    12. Read a children’s book.
    13. Visit a plant nursery and plan your dream garden in your mind.
    14. Take yourself on a picnic.
    15. Create a Look Book.
    16. Read an old journal.
    17. Buy a box of crayons/markers and a coloring book. Have fun!
    18. Create a mandala–using compass, ruler and mechanical pencil, explore properly-constructed basic geometric shapes and their relation to each other in a circular pattern. Use repetition, proportion/size, etc to create a pleasing, yet spontaneous design)
    19. Carve out an hour and write notes, letters and cards to those you love. Mail them.
    20. Check local papers for craft fairs and talk to the artists…
    21. Rent a movie to watch with just you and your artist
    22. Watch a comedy show, or read jokes.
    23. Visit a florist. Meander along the displays of cut flowers and immerse yourself in the colors and scents. Buy yourself some flowers on the way out! Hand pick each bloom and let them make them up into a beautiful bouquet all for you.
    24. Go to the library and raid their CD section. Pick up anything that interests you until you have a cloth bag full of CDs and you’re at your item limit. Burn the CDs you take home. Go on an hour long walk around your neighbourhood and listen to one or two new CDs all the way through. I got exposed to a lot of new and interesting music that way.
    25. Go to the library and choose a few CDs of music you’ve never listened to.
    26. Mix a CD of songs that inspire you.
    27. Go to the library and find a book on a topic that you know very little about but that looks very fascinating to you. Check it out. Read it.
    28. Go to a wild life sanctuary.
    29. Visit the zoo, bring your camera. (Ipsco?)
    30. Look up the top rated ‘things to do’ in your town on a site like Trip Advisor. Pick something that you fancy trying.
    31. Spend time making an area of your home beautiful.
    32. Make an image board of where you would like to go on your next holiday – find a pile of old magazines, tear out any images you like, and stick them on a big piece of paper.
    33. Go to the charity shop and buy a book with a story that’s new to you, or that you wouldn’t normally be interested in. Read it.
    34. Mind map a decision that you’ve been thinking about.
    35. Try some origami.
    36. Put a key word like ‘inspiration’ or ‘courageous’ into TED and watch 5 of the videos that come up.
    37. Paint something in or outside your home (a fence, a shed, or a chest of drawers).
    38. Go to a home store, like Ikea, and take pictures of items that you find beautiful. Start an image file of your perfect house.
    39. Go out and take photos of everything that you see that is red (or blue etc). Make a collage on your computer or better still, print the photos out and make a collage in a frame.
    40. Read some travel writing about a place you’ve never been.
    41. Have afternoon tea on your own – bake something for yourself; go mad and use the milk jug.
    42. Learn how to do something by watching a video on YouTube.
    43. Look through old photos.
    44. Pick a special holiday or place (where you took a lot of photos) and make a photo book.
    45. Dress up in different outfits and take some self-portraits.
    46. Visit a garden and take photos of flowers, trees and beautiful natural things. Come home and make up a collage picture and put it on your desk at work.
    47. Go to the toy store (or toy section of your local charity shop). Buy something and play with it.
    48. Celebrate something small: getting up on time; that it’s the weekend; that you’ve done the food shopping for the week.
    49. Fix something in your house that’s broken – a dripping tap, a button missing, a seam hanging down, a drawer that sticks.
    50. Browse through a thrift store or antique shop and buy one thing that really inspires or excites you.
    51. Go to a used bookstore and linger, browsing through the various titles. Choose one to buy and take home with you.
    52. Attend a public lecture at a college or university.
    53. Attend a free movie night in the park.
    54. Find a recipe you’ve never tried and make it for dinner.
    55. See a play. It can be a Broadway play or one put on by your local high school. Check out the performances at high schools and universities and attend one.
    56. Attend a live music event. Search the Internet for local music concerts that are free to the public.
    57. Browse your local nursery for herbs and make your own kitchen herb garden on the patio.
    58. Browse seed catalogs and plan a vegetable garden for next summer.
    59. Create your own outdoor garden room...or indoor one for that matter!
    60. Create a board on Pinterest with ideas for your dream studio space.
    61. Take time to read an art/craft/creativity related book with a nice cuppa
    62. Visit an art gallery
    63. Go on an art walk, checking out commercial art galleries in town.
    64. Go for a walk by the creek looking for inspiration for creative work.
    65. Library time just for ME! (Read magazines)
    66. Attend art shows or art openings.
    67. Meet like minded friends/people.
    68. Go to bed early one night with a good book and a cup of tea.
    69. Go to a museum for inspiration.
    70. Watch an art/craft/creativity DVD/video.
    71. Fix a special dinner and eat by candlelight off a formally set table.
    72. Go to the park and feed the birds.
    73. Putter around the house doing things.
    74. Record affirmations and listen to them.
    75. Read poetry.
    76. Start a collection...or enjoy one you already have!
    77. Make a memory scrapbook or look at one given to you.
    78. Arrange and display some photos.
    79. Create theme photo albums/scrapbooks.
    80. Invite a friend over for fun/tea/crafting.
    81. Send thank-you notes.
    82. Be creative in gift giving.
    83. Listen to a motivational tape.
    84. Plan a staycation...staying at home and seeing the local sites as a tourist would.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, go figure. I've got spam messages inserts all through this. Anyone know how to kill those? I tried editing and they just come back.

ETA: I think I got all the spam messages out of the post. The post is a compilation of various ideas from various online and offline resources, including an old list I had made myself when I first read "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron...where the idea originated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

9. Time with DH once a week - spending time today looking up free and easy date nights.

12. Take an artist date once a week - Okay, so I took all the artist date ideas printed them out, cut them apart, folded them up, and put them in a cookie tin. Once a week I'm going to draw one out and do it...as long as it's seasonally appropriate. This avoids me procrastinating because I can't make a decision which one to do. Once I do one, it will be permanently removed from the jar unless I liked it enough to do it again.

13. Read a book a month. - Read more of "The Rules of Wealth" by Richard Templar. Interesting. He says frugality is not the way to go, but then goes on to say never spend more than you earn and other frugal maxims. I think he's confusing frugality with being cheap.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So peanut. What exactly is an artist date? Is this with someone else or by yourself? Just wondering........

I have my ideas floating around in my head.......will get them on paper today then post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The artist date idea was first proposed by Julia Cameron in her book "The Artist's Way". The idea is to recharge yourself creatively somehow. Do something fun that inspires you or rejuvenates you so you can continue creating. It's easy to drain yourself if you're the creative type. She has basic rules, but I switch them up sometimes. Here are her rules...

1. You have to go alone.
    2. It can’t involve chores (no combining your Date with your grocery shopping).
    3. It must be a minimum of two hours long.
    4. You need to go on at least one Date a week.

I actually find 2 hours too long sometimes. And sometimes I'll take a friend along...or DH (and called it a date night or date event). The point is to mix it up and inject some fun in your life. I also find this a good antidote to the winter blues.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast