Common sense - or lack thereof
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Common sense - or lack thereof

Ok, I just finished responding to another thread that rising costs might see me biking to work. Nice goal, good idea under normal circumstances. Then we get to the BUT part (I always seem to have a big "but" in the picture). I am currently unable to walk, much less bike. So, while that might be a great goal for next fall, it is NOT viable in the near future. Somehow, that little fact had eluded me until now. So, I guess I'm likely to be pinching pennies elsewhere, and perhaps extending the timeframe on paying down my debts. I actually had figured out how to be debt free and in my target weight range by my 50th birthday without any real stress - think I might have to make that during the year I turn 50 instead. Still viable, just not as fast. And next time I go to the ER, I'm going to ask questions! I think I'd be healing better/faster if they had told me not to go back to work, instead of assuming that I wouldn't because it hurt. Or, if I had asked, instead of assuming that it was ok too since they hadn't told me not to. Am I mistaken, or do a lot of people go to work feeling less-than-wonderful a lot of the time? Anyway, being stationary gave me time to look at last year's year-end financial picture vs this year's, and I really made good progress! So this year I want to try to match it. Since I hopefully will not have all the unplanned travel expenses associated with my Mom again, that seems like a reasonable target.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Edna, I don't know about working while sick. I'm spoiled and have been a SAHM for 16 years now. I do know DH tends to push it, but he's a supervisor and it's major upheaval if he doesn't show up to work!

When's your 50th birthday? What year? How much weight do you want to lose? They say 1-2 lbs. a week is desirable. That way you'll keep it off. And if you make lifestyle changes, instead of dieting and doing short term stuff, that you have a better chance of keeping it off. I am struggling with back issues making my usual exercise choices difficult to do. And I've been warned not to do too much, or my muscles are going to act up on me again...inflammation...yuck. So, depending on your issues, I guess what I'm really trying to say is, make sure you set realistic sustainable goals for yourself. If you do, I'm sure you can make it!

And don't worry, there are lots of ways to be frugal and pinch a penny.

Hugs,
    Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

".....And next time I go to the ER, I'm going to ask questions! I think I'd be healing better/faster if they had told me not to go back to work, instead of assuming that I wouldn't because it hurt. Or, if I had asked, instead of assuming that it was ok too since they hadn't told me not to. Am I mistaken, or do a lot of people go to work feeling less-than-wonderful a lot of the time?...."

Is there some reason you didn't go to your family doctor, if you have one. Generally ER will only give you a slip for a day or two & then they expect that you will see your family physician. A lot of people go to work when they shouldn't. When my husband was first injured on the job, the comp company actually had the audacity to call him and tell him it would be a long time before he'd see any money. He was in severe pain, but being the man that he is he went back to work. We took out a loan against our 401(k) put it in the bank and when he couldn't work anymore due to the injury worsening he went off work. Next time the comp company called we told them we could wait them out...and we did.

Sometimes we have to rework our plans in order to make them work, I always say that life is what happens while you are busy making other plans...best of luck with your goals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel less than wonderful almost everydy I go to work. I have two ruptured discs at L5 and S1...but no insurance and none in sight any time soon....so I have to go. And I wait tables none the less. Yesterday I worked a double and thought I might just lay down in the floor when I left...

I know many at our restaurant go in sick with the flu or colds, because we are not allowed to call out unless we have a doctors note. Now they know we all do not have insurance and make very little money and cant afford to go to the doctor.

I thinks its yucky that they make us and the kitchen folks work while sick with food. But we do what we have to do.

I sypathize with your feelings...but I am sure you will make your goal!!

Megan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Edna, I don't know about working while sick. I'm spoiled and have been a SAHM for 16 years now. I do know DH tends to push it, but he's a supervisor and it's major upheaval if he doesn't show up to work!

When's your 50th birthday? What year? How much weight do you want to lose? They say 1-2 lbs. a week is desirable. ...

And don't worry, there are lots of ways to be frugal and pinch a penny.

Hugs,
    Jean
    Thanks, Jean. Lucky you for SAHM status. I never could do that, but did often have work where I could take my son in if needed. I am currently the only computer person in a scientific research facility - so it can get pretty screwy if I'm not here and something goes wrong.

My 50th will be in 2010 (january). I'd like to drop about 50 pounds, so I'd figured 2 pounds a month ought to be really viable for keeping it off. I think 1-2 pounds a week can work for a short time, but I think you cannot maintain that rate for too long - your metabolism tends to adjust and accomodate the changes that are causing it. However, I seem to be losing slowly anyway, so I'm not really very much off target. (YAY!)

I'm pretty good at pinching pennies - tend to think of it as a game ro puzzle rather than a burden.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=mombottoo;867740...
    Is there some reason you didn't go to your family doctor, if you have one. Generally ER will only give you a slip for a day or two & then they expect that you will see your family physician. A lot of people go to work when they shouldn't. ...

Sometimes we have to rework our plans in order to make them work, I always say that life is what happens while you are busy making other plans...best of luck with your goals.[/QUOTE]

Hi. Yes, there actually was. Unfortunately I clutzed out in church and fell down some stairs on a Sunday. I got taken to the ER because everybody thought I'd broken something - we had all heard a crack. It ended up as a bad sprain rather than a break, and I couldn't walk on it for a few days, so I just borrowed a wheelchair, made transportation arrangements, and kept on plugging. Then a week later, they chewed me out because they had not "released" me to return to work, when in fact they had never said that I should stay home. Anyway, I might have slowed down the healing, but it has had no permanent effect.

Thank you for the encouragement. Things are really going fairly well - and being slightly out-of-commission is actually saving me on the casual spending side of things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you talking about trying to qaulify for SSDI ?

as for the most part peoples health does decline some with age and aches and pains here and there are considered normal. I live with back pain that I consider pretty bad at times but the doctor I went to told me that is normal to have back pain and gave me some excersize to follow. I do them but my back still hurts. Not to the point of laying down and crying in pain but it is annoying and irrating that I can't run, jump and move like I did in my 20's.

Some decline is normal yes...for most people... if you have an injury it will take time to heal...that is different from a state of decline.
    People in wheelchairs work so I think it will be hard to get ssdi based on that but you can always call them and ask what the criteria for ssdi is... and go from there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustMegan79 View Post
    I feel less than wonderful almost everydy I go to work. I have two ruptured discs at L5 and S1...but no insurance and none in sight any time soon....so I have to go. And I wait tables none the less. Yesterday I worked a double and thought I might just lay down in the floor when I left...

I know many at our restaurant go in sick with the flu or colds, because we are not allowed to call out unless we have a doctors note. Now they know we all do not have insurance and make very little money and cant afford to go to the doctor.

I thinks its yucky that they make us and the kitchen folks work while sick with food. But we do what we have to do.

I sypathize with your feelings...but I am sure you will make your goal!!

Megan
    Thanks, Megan. Actually, this is having less impact than I expected. I can't go shopping as easily, so I'm eating from the stockpile and also doing less of it. I'm still losing slowly, and spending less, so things are going pretty well.

I'm sorry your restaurant does that. I've known other places that do too, but have never worked for one myself. I actually have a pretty good amount of sick leave saved, I just didn't know that I should have been using it at that time. Since the accident was on the weekend, and they did not say to stay home from work, I went to work Monday bright and early - born stubborn, I guess.