Genetic Modifications of plants.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Genetic Modifications of plants.

Genetic Modifications of plants.
    http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WQLCP
    Some say the Australian findings confirm the effectiveness of screening processes, while for others, the results only prove that genetically modified plants are too unpredictable to reckon with.

These types of risks are not entirely new, and they are not limited to genetically modified plants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

THANK YOU DURGAN. I like reading/learning about this stuff as I firmly believe knowledge is power.

This is a hotly debated topic and while I don't know/understand the full scientific end of it, my main concern is that I feel like I am having it crammed down my throat with NO CHOICE. They are fighting even telling us if it is a modified product ....for the almighty buck of course (people might not buy the modified product and how would they ever get their investment back??)....and I want to know. I am by no means an 'organic nut', and think that has a few short comings too, but I just want the choice. If knowledge is, in fact, power, then sometimes just getting the knowledge is the biggest challenge.

A friend gave me some info about the codes on fruit a few years ago and it was supposed to tell you if they were modified or not. I tossed it as the codes never matched what my stores did.....do you know anything about the codes? (the four digit number they put into the cash register when you pay)

Oh...I best stop; I could really get on a roll on this one.......I feel like we, the consuming public, have been put into the cages and are now the mice that they are experimenting on......at what cost??? They don't know.......and don't care.......all comes down to money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our food supply is a well kept secret to the public at large. Getting information is like extracting eye teeth from a reluctant patient. It takes much time now to even find the origin of food. On a package it might stater prepared by some company in Montreal, but absolutely no indication of where the enclosed ingredients are procured.

Shrimp packaged in Port Dover, ON. Absolutely no indication of where the shrimp are coming from.

This is of much concern and will be more so in the future. So far the food processors have had carte blanche, due to a sleepy public assuming the big brother is watching over them. Big bother is simply taking the path of least resistance, and reacts to disasters not working pro-actively in preventing such.

Walkerton, prepared meats, melatonin in pet food to name a few recent disasters, which are probaly the tip of the iceberg.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in the midwest US in a heavily farmed region. Another issue with genetically modified plants is that their seeds spread naturally to other farms and intermingle with crops that haven't been modified. Not only does this infiltrate the food supply but it is a threat to the livlihood of farmers because these plants are patented and it is highly illegal for them to grow them... regardless of how they got there including natural wind and animal distribution.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great point Elphie! I hadn't even thought about that end of it. Gees, the poor farmers that 'don't grow' that stuff. (raised on a farm, guess I have been gone too long)

And Durgan, well made point about the shrimp. It was really brought home to me when I was working for Chiquita in Costa Rica. I never could get some of the 'higher honchos' to answer my question about using DDT on the bananas that came to the states.....they just gave me a smile and changed the subject when I asked.....which told me that they did, in fact, use it....but they never said as much. So we outlaw it here then it comes in with our food supply on something else. Same thing for Minute Maid Orange Juice........read to see where the oranges come from (Mexico and Brazil!!) ..........those countries can use DDT.........WHAT? This is when I became very interested in this topic. Send me any other info you get....even in PM...PLEASE!