Counterproductive Environmentalism - how not to save trees
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Counterproductive Environmentalism - how not to save trees

In a truly tragic irony, instead of 1 in 6 trees being cut down, now an entire forest will have to be cleared, evidently due to attempts to prevent the logging.

Minnesota: Trees Vandalized

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I suppose it would be too much effort to go and pull the nails out....
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How would you be sure you found all of them without hours and hours of scanning/searching?

I rather suspect that this will will be junked now instead of actually used for something productive.

I'm curious how they plan to cut it - by hand maybe (not power saw I mean) - or maybe a big rig cutter that won't care about the nails...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm and I suppose the really big risk of these spikes isn't as much to the loggers as it is to the lumbermill workers - they're guaranteed to find all the nails the wrong way if those trees got to the shop.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I suppose it would be too much effort to go and pull the nails out....
    i would think that by pulling all the nails (if that was even possible) the trees would now have been compromised allowing insects & disease to enter thru their 'wounds'....many would probably suffer and die anyway...and it is probably way more cost effective to just take the forest down at this point....

that's sucks! but i am more inclined to blame the vandals coz us 'tree-huggers' are passive people and we go to all out lengths to 'save' the trees.... not sacrifice them... unless...there is a whole new breed of 'tree-hugger' out there....and if that is the case...it could get ugly....

i would ask "what is wrong with people anymore ?" but i have just about given up asking that question....now adays i find that i am more just bowing my head and shaking it slowly if anything....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wonder if the people who put the nails in the trees realized the possible dangers if someone had not noticed them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm only guessing here, but that "forest" is really a field planted in trees...tree farming. I suspect that the trees can be cut and shredded to be used for particle board so they won't be a complete waste.

The nailers probably don't care if some one gets hurt, after all, they won't be in the mill when the shrapnel flies.

Lee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    i would think that by pulling all the nails (if that was even possible) the trees would now have been compromised allowing insects & disease to enter thru their 'wounds'....many would probably suffer and die anyway...and it is probably way more cost effective to just take the forest down at this point....

that's sucks! but i am more inclined to blame the vandals coz us 'tree-huggers' are passive people and we go to all out lengths to 'save' the trees.... not sacrifice them... unless...there is a whole new breed of 'tree-hugger' out there....and if that is the case...it could get ugly....

i would ask "what is wrong with people anymore ?" but i have just about given up asking that question....now adays i find that i am more just bowing my head and shaking it slowly if anything....
    I certainly agree. People are strange and scary. Something I have known since I was very young.

This was not the way to try and save trees. The trees are now destroyed and someone could have been killed.

This is what gives people a bad name

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the idiocy of some people never ceases to amaze me. what a waste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    There is a different breed of 'tree-hugger' out there. They're called ecoterrorists, and they do use ugly means to accomplish their objectives. See http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/Ecot...ked=4&item=eco for more info.