Natural homemade toothpaste and deoderant
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Natural homemade toothpaste and deoderant

As a part of my new 80/20 raw life style I have really been putting a great deal of effort into thinking about not just what I put into my body but also what I put on it.

Everything that you put on your skin is absorbed into your blood stream. If you wouldn't eat it , maybe you shouldn't put it on your skin?

I have been using two frugal and natural alternatives.
    The first being toothpaste.

You can make you own toothpaste using:
    2 Tablespoons virgin organic coconut oil (Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.)
    3 tablespoons baking soda
    20 drops of essential peppermint oil
    and a few drops pf liquid stevia
    Mix melted coconut oil with remaining ingredients and store in a jar.Coconut oil is anti-bacterial so no need to be concerned with dipping your toothbrush in the jar.

The second being deodorant:
    1/3 part organic virgin coconut oil ( kills Oder causing bacteria )
    1/3 part baking soda
    1/3 part corn starch.
    mix melted oil with remaining ingredients and store in jar. You will need to apply with your fingers or a small paint brush if so desired. The best time to apply deodorant is right after a shower and or before bedtime.

I also have replaced my moisturizer with organic extra virgin coconut oil. I can not go on long enough about the benefits of coconut oil.

Just wanted to share some money saving and healthy tips
    I am looking for a great way to cleans my face as well as an astringent.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the tips. I've also heard great things about coconut oil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much for this post. It's like you read my mind. I too have recently started thinking about all the nasty chemicals that we put into and onto our bodies. I have a lot of people around me who are becoming ill with cancer and I am now starting research about things that could be the cause of it. I am trying to become more of a naturalist. Your post is very helpful as I was beginning to look for toothpaste and deodorant
    recipes or products. I much prefer to make my own so great post. If you have any other ideas for shampoo or hairspray or even any good websites please let me know. Thanks again. Oh yeah where can you buy the coconut oil? Just curious. Becky

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds like toothpaste good enough to eat. I've sooo been wanting to try making my own deoderant.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When purchasing coconut oil it is VERY important that it be Virgin or extra virgin. DO NOT buy the cheap LouAnna Coconut oil they have at walmart for 5.00 a bottle that stuff has been Hydrogenated. Some walmarts do have virgin coconut oil in the isle with the vitamins.
    Publix super markets carry it at 9.00 for 12 oz. In the health section not with the other oils.
    And all healthfood stores carry it.
    Wholefoods have it as low as 6.99 and jar.
    While it does sound a little pricey and little goes a long way and in the end I feel it's a great value.

It's good for fighting acne as well, and my husband uses it on his psoriasis. It can also be applied and used as a bug repellent

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made my own deodorant & it was a waste. I had major BO @ the end of the day. I DID NOT use your recipe. My recipe contained glycerin, witch hazel, essential oil & maybe a couple of other ingred's. But, I didn't throw it out.. I heard on Dr Oz you should put on your deodorant @ night. So, I'm going to give it another chance. After a good day of sweating- do you still smell ok?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is interesting. Growing up we used plain baking soda for toothpaste sometimes.

My ds has eczema, I wonder if we should try the coconut oil?

My older ds has acne. Do you just put the coconut oil directly on the skin?

We used to wash our hair in various things like beer or eggs.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ann..I noticed that your face is glowing is it do to the coconut oil or is that the way your skin normally looks? BTW nice picture!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To use the oil for the treatment of skin conditions like eczema it's best to both consume and apply topically.

You can either take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil each day by adding it to your coffee or tea or cooking with it. Apply it topically onto the affected area 3 times per day.
    I don't know that I would call it a cure, but it can help just as well as any medication.

For acne and blackheads - just apply a thin layer before bedtime. It's works best on acne caused by bacteria.
    Brenda67 - Would you believe I had terrible childhood acne?
    My skin has only looked that good for the last few months. I can't say for sure if it's the change in my diet or the coconut oil. Either way I'm going to continue with both.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ali-lee - I'm afraid I'm not a fair comparison on the deodorant because I don't have a lot of Oder to begin with. But to answer your question ,no I don't have any oder at the end of the day.
    Even after a work out. I like to add some essential oils to the mix, like lavender just so I smell good.

And yes it's best to apply the deodorant at night and right after a shower when your skin is clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

May I ask what changes have you made to your diet that you think might be the glow you have now?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My diet- I eat an 80/20 raw diet. That means that only 20% of what I eat is cooked. I mostly limit it to lean meats , sweet potatoes , rice and some bread. But once I get a quality dehydrator I wont' eat cooked bread anymore.
    I eat very little dairy. I stopped drinking milk completely. Once in a blue moon I get a craving for cheese or a Greek yogurt.And very little processes prepacked foods. NO high fructose corn syrup.

Researchers claim to have found a correlation between milk intake and the incidence of acne. It seems milk drinkers develop more severe acne than non-milk drinkers. One study, published in the May 2008 issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, looked at the diets of teenaged boys. The young men who drank the most milk also tended to have the worst acne.

This supports the results of previous studies, during which teenage girls were asked to keep food diaries and monitor breakout activity. Again, girls whose diets were rich in dairy products had more severe acne than the rest.

Of all dairy products, milk was the worst offender.