green dishwasher liquid
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default green dishwasher liquid

I have used Palmolive's eco dishwasher detergent for the past year - I wasn't sure how green it was, but knew it was phosphate free, so I thought, well that's a start. But I've recently decided to go greener, so I tried Seventh Generation dishwasher liquid - it has done a terrible job. My dishes always feel like they have a residue and they don't get clean.

Anyone have a green dishwasher detergent they like?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried pretty much everything on the market and because of our water (hard), the dishes were dirty after wash every time. So I'm sticking to Cascade action pacs which seem to be the only ones working and just do a lighter cycle to save water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. I'd previously been using Palmolive Eco, which at least is phosphate free - but I believe it has bleach. I also have well water and a softener. I already bought Trader Joe's Powdered dishwasher detergent - happened to be there the other day. Well we'll use the rest of the Seventh Generation and try the TJ's, if not, back to Palmolive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I did but if anyone finds something that WORKS I'd like to hear about it. I currently buy Aldis brand because it's both cheap and phosphate free

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tried the store brand of "green" soap, but I find it just won't cut the grease on our dishes. Grrr! We went back to regular ol' Palmolive (my hands are much nicer for it). It's annoying to think you're spending extra to do your dishes, and then still have to add something (vinegar, or baking soda) to get the results you want. We just try to conserve dishes and water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use ECOVER tablets the washer and Costcos eco brand for handwashing in the sink. I've been please with them both

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

update: So I am finishing up using the Seventh Generation and I've found that if I use more of it than the recommended amount (they recommend you fill the cup 2/3 full - I fill it all the way) and I wash on my heavy wash setting, they come clean just fine. Not perfect, but a little greener as far as chemicals in the water go. Of course, washing on heavy I'm probably using more electricity since the dishwasher, I believe, washes longer on the heavy setting. I'm not concerned about the water use - I'm on well and septic and my water goes right back into the ground on my property. Well, I have the Trader Joes, I'll report back on that when I try it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use Sun & Earth, both liquid for the stuff we have to wash by hand and we just ordered a case (!) of the dishwasher stuff. We just got a dishwasher a few months ago,and as usual, when we needed it, the few markets here that carry sun & earth ran out.

We have VERY hard water, the entire house has a filter, the drinking water and DH's darkroom, another set. The on demand water heater needs to be descaled every month or two...which should give you some idea.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried anything for the dishwasher yet, but know that vinegar is the anti-clean for us. I ask the repair man as he cleaned up the build up that was blocking the drainage in the dishwasher what it was. He said it was soap, and that if we used vinegar in the rinse aid holding tank thingie, to stop because it was neutralizing the soap as it trickles continuously through the cycle... If we want to rinse with vinegar, manually put it in during the rinse cycle. This has kept the dishes and dishwasher sparkling.

I do use ecover, nature clean and Seventh Generation for handwashing. I will be staying mostly with NatureClean as I can recycle the bottle by refilling it at the store for a lower price.

I will be exploring dishwasher detergents next.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mommy4ever View Post
    I haven't tried anything for the dishwasher yet, but know that vinegar is the anti-clean for us. I ask the repair man as he cleaned up the build up that was blocking the drainage in the dishwasher what it was. He said it was soap, and that if we used vinegar in the rinse aid holding tank thingie, to stop because it was neutralizing the soap as it trickles continuously through the cycle... If we want to rinse with vinegar, manually put it in during the rinse cycle. This has kept the dishes and dishwasher sparkling.
    YIkes!!
    I guess I'll have to go back to buying a commercial rinse aid...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just saw that Method makes dishwashing machine tablets....anyone tried those yet? The reviews I'm finding are mixed.

I too find that any eco dish soap isn't as effective as the regular kind. We were using A LOT to do one sinkful to get that 'clean' feeling so it was more economical to go back to Dawn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK - experiment number two results - Trader Joe's brand dishwasher powder....gets two thumbs up!!!!!!! No residue, washed on normal cycle, everything clean. Literally, just opened up the dishwasher a moment ago after my first load using TJ's powder.

If you recall, with Seventh Generation dishwasher liquid I had to use more than the normal amount and I had to wash on heavy wash - other wise I'd have residue on the dishes.

Now...I have to do a price comparison - TJ's powder to Seventh Gen liquid - cost per load. I'll let you know when I get that.