Frugal Village Forums banner

Vegetarian Contemplation.... (catchy, eh?) :) :)

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  AlexNH 
#1 ·
So here's the thing:
I've been eating veg since March, and I really like it. I eat the way I eat because of the environmental toll producing meat has on our planet.
But somehow, I feel I am not hitting the exact mark that I was looking for. I'll definitely never be a "steak eater" - but the other day I was offered some lovely baked chicken that came from a "reliable, organic source". I politely turned it down and enjoyed my butternut squash risotto (**de-lish**), but I began wondering if I am not somehow trying to "prove a point" in my eating. I didn't think I was, but somehow, watching others enjoy their chicken, I felt like maybe I was not right where I want to be.
I remember reading:
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and being struck by the "wholeness" of eating with the seasons. I know alot of us do that with produce (me included) - but I never really thought about eating the "cycle of life" regarding the animal world. hmmmmm......

Just contemplating the whole thing, and I certainly cannot talk about this with my hubby, he thinks the way I choose to eat is simply wrong. (not that I care one i-ota about what he thinks about how I eat!)

thanks for letting me think out loud........

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, the dreaded "chicken envy"! :chicken:

I get the same thing when it comes to desserts. If I see someone else enjoying a dessert, I have to have it, even if I am so full that I know I'll be in pain if I eat it. Sigmund Freud would probably have had fun with that. :rolleyes:

What were your thoughts when you saw the others eating chicken? Did you feel envy? Did you feel ostracized? Do you feel like an outcast or misfit? Do you feel self-doubt, like maybe you were wrong all along?

It is important to find out where the second thoughts are coming from. Only then can you deal with them.

It is also helpful to remind yourself frequently of why you went veg in the first place. Hang in there!

#3 ·
**snort** Freud would just tell you that you wanted to "be romantic" with your mother. **teehee**

If you don't want to eat meat, then don't. I would offer meat to someone unless I know that they are strict vegetarian (ie, no "cheating") or vegan. If you want to take a bite, then take just a bite. That is what I did when I was vegetarian (because of a health issue, not because I wanted to). If they know you are a vegetarian, they won't be offended (well, unless they are related to me and then you just igore them).

#4 ·
I think I understand it ItlMom ...you realized you weren't cutting out meats for meats sake when you encountered the sustainably organically raised chicken? That what you really want to do is support the organic, sustainable, local food system that produced that chicken?

I honestly think its preferable to vegetarianism and closer to what kingsolver promotes in AVM. Organic, local meats in moderation supports a local economy.

I'd say more but I'm feeding the babe and typing with one hand!

#5 ·
vegetarian or semi-vegetarian is common in many parts of the world and your desire is natural. Try being a vegetarian a little at a time, learn more and see if you like. You'll know if its only a passing phase if you are;t persistently satisfied and want something else.

#6 ·
I have lost track of time but I haven't eaten meat for a while, I too suffer from chicken envy. It still smells good to me.

With Thanksgiving looming , Turkeys are on my mind. I'm hosting this year and MUST have a Turkey so I bought a local, all organic , sustainable turkey. It cost a fortune. I haven't made my mind up as to wither or not I personally will eat any of it.

For myself my choice not to eat it is for environmental impact reasons and because what the industry does to our meat supply makes it unhealthy for us. From the improper diet to the hormones, all of that is passed to us when we eat the meat. I could just solve that by finding a healthy supply of meat but then my grocery bill would climb and I can't afford that.

#7 ·
I've been a vegetarian for for 38 years and vegan for the last 25 or so years; for health and ethical reasons. When I made the decision to be a vegetarian (and the same with being vegan), I decided that animal products were "non-food" items, like styrofoam :) So I'm never tempted to eat any.

#8 ·
I recently stopped eating meat. I have lost about 11 lbs and I have so much more energy now.

Earlier today I was thinking about hamburgers. I wouldn't so much call it a craving but the crisp lettuce and juicy tomatoes were definitely more on my mind then the burger itself.

When I got home, I toasted a pita so it was quite firm. I then made a "burger" using tvp, nutritional yeast, assorted seasonings and rolled oats. I served it on the pita with red leaf lettuce, plum tomatoes and sweet onions. I drizzled a little fresh squeezed lime on top. It was delicious.

My roommate just looked at me as he was eating his spaghetti and meatballs. I told him to keep smirking because I was going to make spaghetti and vegan meatballs tomorrow.

I do agree about organic, sustainable farming, btw. If animals were treated humanely and if they were not fed/shot up with so many hormones and drugs, my body probably wouldn't have so much trouble with meat. Until I have the property to raise my own animals (which, honestly, I don't know if I could slaughter because I would probably become attached to them), I refuse to eat meat, eggs or drink milk. Perhaps a dairy goat and a brood of laying chickens to put milk and eggs back into my diet. I will cross that road when I get there.

#9 ·
I know what you are saying. I have been a veg for 10 years now and there have been a few times that I have questioned why I was doing it. In fact, my reasons have changed over the years and so has my attitude about it. When I first became a veggie I was a loud vegetarian and tried to get others to convert as well. Over the years that subsided and now very few people even know. I do it for myself and the knowledge that even a small difference makes an impact.

#10 ·
I have now lost 24 lbs since becoming vegetarian. I did find an organic yogurt without any rBST. So, that is back in my diet.

Lately I have been on a Tortilla Soup kick. It tastes great, it's well-balanced and quite easy to make. I made a wicked Shepard's Pie last weekend. I replaced the ground beef with some lentils and I was in heaven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.