I'm appeasing my conscience out of love for animals
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I'm appeasing my conscience out of love for animals

OK, I still eat meat sometimes. I only buy meat (and dairy) that comes from free range farms and ranches, with (hopefully) better treatment of the animals, no added antibiotics and hormones, etc.

My biggest concern is animal suffering. Having good lives while they're alive is important to me. So--I have gradually been getting rid of all household cleaners, cosmetics, etc, and making a conscious effort to research and read labels and have a decent size list in my head of the brands NOT to buy. I don't want the products that test on animals. After some reading on the subject, I am appalled at the methods used to 'test' stuff. Even if only a fraction of the stuff I've read is true, I don't want anything to do with those companies.

Why a household cleaner, or a lipstick, for God's sake....has to be tried out on a rabbit....is beyond me. Anyway---add me to the tree (and rabbit) huggers who are discerning about what they buy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cab, you have a heart of gold. Seriously, the testing on animals is horrific and I don't think people even think about it. Or even googled it.

I try my best not to buy products tested on animals, but sometimes it's impossible. It might be a good idea to list some that test everything and anything...

I'll start with Proctor and Gamble

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to be mindful of this but it's nearly impossible to be perfect. The easiest way is to choose the brand you like and stick with it, make one change at a time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, animal testing is horrendous and we work hard to make sure we aren't supporting it. (I'm vegan also.)

I have an app on my iphone called "Cruelty-Free" that helps us discover if a certain brand uses animal testing or not, although I don't think they also list the parent company (unless they updated it recently). Like Tom's of Maine doesn't use animal testing but Colgate, the parent company, does. It's really sad that you have to dig to find the information sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will have to check that app out!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I had that app to check out! That's pretty cool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Even cooler - it's free!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have an iphone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

PETA has a good page here that you can search on as well. Not as handy but it's there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    Cab, you have a heart of gold. Seriously, the testing on animals is horrific and I don't think people even think about it. Or even googled it.

I try my best not to buy products tested on animals, but sometimes it's impossible. It might be a good idea to list some that test everything and anything...

I'll start with Proctor and Gamble
    At secondary school (what feels like) a million years ago I did a report on animal testing and what I found out about Proctor and Gamble made my blood run cold. I distinctly remember feeling actually nauseous. Their methods seemed so unnecessary with no consideration of animal welfare at all.

Given that I gleaned most of that information from the internet (and not from P&G themselves), which can definitely be exaggerated and sensationalised, I'd like to research P&G again to see if their stance on animal testing has altered any over the years. It's a very hard thing to read about though

ETA: I agree, Palooka, sometimes it is kind of impossible; partly because it's hard to figure out who the parent companies are and partly because needs must on a budget. It's tough