Do you think being frugal causes being greener or being green causes frugality? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if one or the other came first for me - I just didn't see them as connected until I'd been practising both for many years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Green and frugal are not causally related in either direction.

Some green actions are frugal, others are not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it depends on which way you started .. did you start to be green or did you start to be frugal .. either way they go hand in hand

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frugal came first and I believe that green is waste not. That being said, I started out trying to keep "the man" out of my pockets. I also think about the trash and fumes that we generate effecting future generations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew up with my parents being frugal. But my mom was/is one that always hates waste. So I also got my green starts then, even though they didn't call it green then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just started a thread of this exact thing, whoops..I didn't do my research.
    I think I was more green first then frugal. I felt it was easier to be frugal after starting as green. I agree with Greebo, not all green actions are frugal. Buying an electric car or hybrid tend to be expensive.
    I like to re-use what I have and resist buying new. All my records are used along with most of my stereo equipment.
    My wife and I like to garden and use our table scraps for the compost pile. Just today I mowed the lawn with a push mower. Hard work but didn't use any gasoline or send out exhaust.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks for reviving it. All the posters are gone though.
    I would say I was frugal first because GREEN wasnt such a thing then. When I was first married recycling centers were voluntary places you went to. and later the garbage people picked it up. All these resale sites that have popped up are fantastic. Back when I made the decision to buy 85% used it was looked on as super weird.
    I guess I have to say I still dont do as much Green decisions but that most of it comes from frugality. I am dumping all our old paint cans at the Haz mat collections site of Sat.Kinding excited to be rid of the 21 yr. accumulation and have it properly disposed of. No cleaning supplies because I switched to HM cleaners a while back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My wife uses HM cleaner, it works well and doesn't smell caustic.

Hopefully we can bring this topic back! I think being green is bigger than ever.

Well maybe I was frugal first, not sure. My parents taught me frugal ways but I strayed a bit when I had good jobs, but always saved a lot. They taught me environmental consciousness too. I had chores as a teenager of taking out the recyclables.

I prefer buying used. Cars, electronics, music, clothing but that's hit or miss as I'm 6'3" and findings pants long enough is basically impossible. Shirts are usually fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12