Why Do You Green Living?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Why Do You Green Living?

I just wonder.. Why do we need to green living? What would make you interested in making green living part of your life and why I should do the same? Not that I'm not supporting this. I just want to find reason of why I should do and support this as a part of my everyday life..

I know that kind of save earth and I'm not against that.. I totally support that.

I want to know what's you guys/gals reason for doing this and maybe I can relate to those reason and start doing green living too as part of my life.

Any tips too for starters?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, it's mostly spiritual. I believe that all life is interconnected - from people to animals to plants to the entire planet - and "being green" is simply about respecting our place in the great tapestry of life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I suppose it all started with my mom. She always has (and still does) hate waste. I've brought that attitude forward in my life. I can't stand waste... whether it is physical garbage, energy or what not. To me that's the building blocks of my green living.. Not that I'm perfect - far from it. Anything that harms the planet is also being wasteful of the planet.
    I guess "hate waste" is my mantra for green living.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, it's about being a good steward of the beautiful earth God gave us. I also think green living is healthier much of the time. I also think many "green" tips are also frugal-- like using a dish towel instead of buying paper towels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by andrysalim View Post
    I just wonder.. Why do we need to green living? What would make you interested in making green living part of your life and why I should do the same? Not that I'm not supporting this. I just want to find reason of why I should do and support this as a part of my everyday life..

I know that kind of save earth and I'm not against that.. I totally support that.

I want to know what's you guys/gals reason for doing this and maybe I can relate to those reason and start doing green living too as part of my life.

Any tips too for starters?
    I do it to save money.
    Baking soda & vinegar are interchangeable cleaning and cooking ingredients, I haven't purchased cleaning products for kitchens, bathrooms, etc. for a lonnnnng time. Its just cheaper.
    Air drying is cheaper, saves the life of the dryer for when I do want to use it, which then saves money from having to buy new appliances.
    Repurposing furniture and items around the house saves me from buying new, gives a room a whole new look for free.
    Composting makes me feel better than dumping stuff down the drain when I see that it goes back into the earth.
    I repurpose water to save on my water bill.
    I turn off lights and use candles where possible to save on my electric bill.
    I eat healthier to save on my medical bills and also so I am not sick a lot and missing work. (being laid off or fired would kill my finances, ha!)

So for me, its cheaper to "waste not want not" although there are times I still want and still waste I try to keep it to a minimum whenever possible. Try not to get too radical in the beginning, start with small changes in your day-to-day life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Being green can fill your wallet with green :)

My reasons for living green are not very esoteric. It all comes down to cash in my pocket instead of in some corporation's bank accounts. More often than not, the green choices are the frugal ones. Some examples:

Why buy commercial cleansers filled with chemicals if you can clean almost everything with vinegar and/or baking soda? Especially when they usually work better than those health damaging products.

Why pay for paper towels when for most jobs you can use a dishcloth and pop it in your wash?

Why buy some overpriced chemical filled face exfoliant when baking soda does hands down the best job (in my experience!)?

Why buy imported tomatoes in the middle of winter when locally grown winter veg tastes better, has more vitamins and supports your community?

I feel very liberated when using frugal/green solutions instead of running out and buying some manufactured product, which in addition to costing money, most likely contains potentially harmful ingredients.

So not only would I be paying money to a company for something I can easily do myself, I would also potentially be PAYING THEM to harm my health!

There are many reasons to 'go green'. My advice is to find the reasons that motivate you personally and take it one step at a time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Telephus44 View Post
    For me, it's mostly spiritual. I believe that all life is interconnected - from people to animals to plants to the entire planet - and "being green" is simply about respecting our place in the great tapestry of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    I do it to save money.
    Baking soda & vinegar are interchangeable cleaning and cooking ingredients, I haven't purchased cleaning products for kitchens, bathrooms, etc. for a lonnnnng time. Its just cheaper.
    Composting makes me feel better than dumping stuff down the drain when I see that it goes back into the earth.
    I turn off lights ...
    I eat healthier to save on my medical bills...

So for me, its cheaper to "waste not want not" although there are times I still want and still waste I try to keep it to a minimum whenever possible. Try not to get too radical in the beginning, start with small changes in your day-to-day life.
    Ditto!

Of course, I might be a little more into green living, more than most, as after college, I spent my first 10 years cleaning up environmental hazardous waste. That meant everything from SuperFund Sites to oil spills, to putting wells in a huge landfill (Staten Island) to see how contaminated the groundwater was.

I got out of the environmental cleanup business when they started asking me to clean up asbestos and nuclear waste.

Now working in National Parks, where some parks are extremely green and others are not, I try to do as much as I can to be one with the environment. After all, if the environment is not clean, you, your breath that you take, and ultimately your own body is not clean.

So I do think it is important. But look at the tag line:
    Green Living: Eco-friendly, sustainability, fair trade, environmental, human rights, animal rights, activism, veganism,vegetarian topics. Natural living. Organic-Whole foods, Green living, recycling.
    It kind of says it all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To me, sustainability is about fairness. When we live unsustainably, we are taking more than our fair share of the Earth's resources. Few things offend me as much as taking more than one's fair share, so my objective is to try to live as sustainably as possible. I am still working on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i live the green life
    beacouse we cant shopp and waste to we dropp...
    and its worth it to bee green...the feeling that yeah i did good this week

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post

I repurpose water to save on my water bill.
    How do you repurpose water? Just curious and interested in doing this myself

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by angel-1 View Post
    How do you repurpose water? Just curious and interested in doing this myself
    One thing I do is I put a huge bowl under the strainer anytime I am draining and rinsing pasta. Then I wait for the water to cool and give it to my dogs, they LOVE pasta water. They have their regular fresh water as well, of course.

I do the same thing when washing veggies and fruits but that water does not go to the dogs, it goes to my house plants and garden. It only takes a minute to take that water to another location in the house, you don't have to do it immediately, either. The water can sit in a bowl on the counter until you are finished cooking and cleaning up.

Any water left around the house in glasses from faliy members is given to plants or dogs not down the drain. Any water from boiling eggs, soaking beans, things like that I repurpose to my plants either indoors or outdoors. I really feel there is so much water that people don't think about due to habits of just dumping it down the drain but if you can water these plants and pets safely with water you already "paid for" once, all the better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Green living saves money, makes me healthier, is better for the planet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, I have small children. I want to set an example for them. I want to feel good about doing my part.. I do very little to contribute to global warming etc. We buy local, ride bikes, went vegan, make natural cleaners.. for me, and my family, I feel that it is a personal feeling of contribution. Even if it doesn't make a difference in our lifetime, we are doing the best we can to help the planet. If you get a chance to watch The Hundreth Monkey (it is available on netflix), or google it, it is fascinating. One person really can make a difference.