Meat Substitutes & Vegetarian Products
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Meat Substitutes & Vegetarian Products

Hi,

I'm more of a semi-vegetarian these days. I occasionally eat meat but lately I have been buying meat substitutes. Some of the products I buy are Boca burgers, Morningstar chicken patties, chicken substitutes by Quorn, and beef crumbles by Quorn. Veggie Bologna and veggie cheese tastes pretty good too. My kiddos and I seem to feel better if we don't eat meat and if we don't have dairy.

What type of meat substitutes do you use? What are your favorite vegetarian products?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're not vegetarians but DH and I do enjoy Gardenburgers for dinner, original flavor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use all the same products as you listed..
    this morning we had a variety of the breakfast sausages & bacon-like strips & there wasn't a bit leftover! The boca breakfast links are especailly good. It is hard to find the boca italian sausage , but that ias good with spaghetti or some kind of pasta & sauce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

JEM

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My youngest daughter went veg about 4 months ago and we are still adjusting but everyone in the house (but me) has tried the morning star corn dogs and they love them. We have a Amy veg pot pie in the freezer for her to try too
    We have tried a couple of other Amy veg entrees but she is really picky But dd1 and dh really liked those too. She doesn't like mushrooms, onions, garlic. All the good stuff!
    So morningstar and Amy are the quick fix meals my family likes.
    We are still trying new recipes and quick fix for those busy times

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I eat most brands except Gardenburger. I really like Morningstar Farms and Boca the best. However, I have really cut back on eating the substitutes recently. I actually have not eaten them at all in the past few months except a couple of times last week when we were on vacation. DS and DD LOVE the Morningstar Farms chicken strips and steak strips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like Morning Star Farms brand, but not the breakfast links or bacon sub - too rubbery for me.... I also like Gardenburgers .... I haven't tried any Amy brand? I'll have to look for that one.

One of my goals for 2007 is to eat more beans & really try to enjoy them!

There is also a good meat sub recipe in the Tighward Gazette 2 ~ works in place of ground beef

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thx! I haven't tried the corn dogs yet. Whole Foods has a great selection of meat substitute products that taste great but its expensive there! I generally get Boca etc from the local grocery.

One tip...search ebay for coupons. I just got 20 -.75 cents off coupons for Boca products which I paid $2 for... In my area, .75 cent coupons are doubled, so that's $1.50 off anything I buy from Boca, yea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the All American flame grilled Boca burgers, the Boca Chik patties, and Boca crumbles.

Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime are excellent, so are their version of hot dogs (DH calls them "not dogs"), the Chik patties and burger crumbles are good as well.

The original Garden Burger and the Portobella burger are great.

Amy's Kitchen makes a brown rice and veggie bowl that is out of this world! The veggie lasagna is delish too. (everything I've ever eaten from Amy's frozen line has been awesome)

Oh and we love MSF corn dogs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Totally scored with the Boca coupons I mentioned above! Boca burgers and crumbles were on sale for $3.49 and I had a.75 x2 off = $1.99 a box! Yea!

PS. I used whole grain tortillas, diced boca fake chicken patties and Veggie cheddar cheese and made really yummy quesadillas for the kids and I for dinner yesterday!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not vegetarian, but like to eat the morningstar items in my lunches. I love the honey mustard chick strips ( i am having a hard time finding them now though). I also like the morningstar beef crumbles. I have tried some of the gardenburger items, but do not find them to be as tasty.
    Last edited by Stella; 12-30-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our family is carnivorous, but for some reason dh picked up the Morningstar Farms veggie Mini Corn Dogs. Everyone loves them - even super picky dh!

I enjoy Gardenburgers, but not Boca - although I think Boca is closer to a 'real' burger.

In the past we've also enjoyed the Morningstar Farms bacon (which we call fakon) and the sausage links (which we call fausage). We did NOT like the sausage patties!