Aerobic exercise is more efficient at weight loss than resistance training
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Aerobic exercise is more efficient at weight loss than resistance training

I have been preaching that resistance training raises your metabolism for a longer period of time and burns more fat, and now I have to reverse what I have been teaching. According to a study conducted at Duke University in 2012, it has been found that aerobic exercise burns more fat and contributes to greater weight loss than resistance training and the combination of the two(aerobics and weight training).

In recent years, it has been suggested in the fitness world that resistance training raises the body's metabolism by increasing muscle mass, which allows one to lose more weight than doing aerobic exercises. And it has been demonstrated that weight training does help with improving glucose control, but studies on weight and fat loss with weight training versus aerobic exercise were non-existent.

The researchers at Duke University set out the clear up this issue. According Leslie Willis, MS, an exercise physiologist at Duke stated, "Given that approximately 2/3 of adults in the United States are overweight due to excess body fat, we want to offer clear, evidence-based exercise recommendations that truly help people lose weight and body fat".

The researchers recruited 234 obese and overweight subjects and randomly assigned them to 3 different workout groups. Group 1 worked out aerobically 3 days per week and 3 miles per workout. Group 2 strength trained 3 days a week and performed 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions. Group 3 did the combination of the two, they did 3 days of weight training with the same reps and sets and 3 miles of aerobic activity for 3 days a week.

The exercise sessions were supervised and body composition measurements were taken at the beginning and the end of the study. Of the 234 subjects that started the study, 115 dropped out before the study concluded.

The people assigned to the aerobic and combination group lost more weight than the people assigned to the resistance training group, whereas the resistance group gained weight due to an increase in lean(muscle) body mass.

The study also proved that aerobic exercise trumps resistance training when it comes to body fat. The subjects in the aerobic group lost the most body fat and they even worked out less than the weight training group.
    The aerobic group exercised about 133 minutes a week and the weight training group averaged 180 minutes a week.

The combination group worked out the longest per week and they did lose body fat and body weight but not significantly higher than the aerobic group. The combo group did lose the highest fat in the waist area. They contributed this to the duration of hours to do the combination program a week.

Even though, it has proven that aerobic workouts are the best for fat loss and weight loss, but by no means, you should not do resistance exercise. Strength training is a component of being physically fit and should not be omitted from your workouts. However, if your goal is to lose weight, maybe your concentration should be on aerobic exercise.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for sharing that information. Very interesting. Am still working on a combination of any exercises that I can do given my current physical status. Always am interested in what you have to share!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for posting...so if speed walking/jogging is all I can do it is still okay as long as I'm moving.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

interesting. cardio has never worked for me, as far as weight loss."skinny fat"- no muscles.

i lost 70 pounds (300 to 230) with bodybuilding and a bulking diet of 4000 calories A DAY. in building muscle mass, I raised my basal metabolic rate from 1400 to 2010. this means i burn 2010 calories a day just sleeping and not moving. i now have these enormous muscles under all the fat and flesh.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size.html

at 300 pounds, my flabby little heart was not ready for the cardio. i am doing cardio now 3x a week and am seeing no fat loss. none - but i feel the difference in my heart and lungs. stronger in a different way.

i must do weight training in order to change my body. EAT EAT EAT lots of good food and high protein in order to build muscle and change my body.

cardio to take care of my heart, lungs and arteries.
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 08-07-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i forgot to say in doing this guys diet , i am in ketosis (stinky pee) the whole time. fat burning machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing very good research and info. I do more cardio than strength and it works for me. However everyone is made up differently.
    I always think and say that any movement is good! Do what works for you, as long as it is moving it's better than sitting on your tush.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The people assigned to the aerobic and combination group lost more weight than the people assigned to the resistance training group, whereas the resistance group gained weight due to an increase in lean(muscle) body mass.

I ave always assumed gaining weight due to an increase in muscle mass is a great thing. More muscle mass equals more calories burned daily. Who cares about the actual weight number as long as one is fit. In my best shape ever I gained 4 lbs but dropped a size .

I'm with LADYKEMMA weight training has always done far more for me personally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the study is flawed as they looked at weight, not percent body fat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    the study is flawed as they looked at weight, not percent body fat.
    True and by this standard a lot of very fit people would be considered fat just for having so much muscle.