Bone Marrow Biopsies
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bone Marrow Biopsies

I was wondering if anyone here has had a bone marrow biopsy and/or aspiration.

I have googled this and from what I have read it is quite painful.

Then I read that you could request what is called conscious sedation. You are given drugs like those given for an endoscopy.

If you have had this procedure, was this sedation offered to you?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Surilda Im sorry no i HAVENT been throug it. My hubby did have his white blood cells checked when thry thought he had menenigitis- it tuirned out he had a bad viral that he eneded up takeing 4x to finally get out of his system that year.

and yes it was painfull and he wasnt sedated beacsue it was a emergency procedure for him and rushed by ambulance from one small hosp. to the biggest one we have here. ughhh verry scary, and he wanted to hit them he was in so much pain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is something I have thought about for awhile; I know nothing about it;

I have heard it was a painful experience; I "think" i know the initial test to be put into the "bank" is harmless, but I have heard further testing and doning is much worse; but in my mind i think it would be like birth; it hurts, it is not fun; but when you see or know someone got life from it............. a day or a week of pain would be worth it.....and forgotten?

I am very curious to see where this discussion goes.....Imagine if even half of us gave the intial donation........ to type for a match... THAT WOULD BE AMAZING.......
    Last edited by kaurand554; 07-26-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: forgot a question?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you know someone who needs one?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be curious about this too...hope someone answers that had it done.

I have given thought about getting my info put in a bank but haven't done that either and don't know much about it.

For the blood bank they keep me 'on the hoof' (my lingo, not theirs) due to my blood type.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I MAY have to have this procedure.

I had a doctor appointment week before last. He was very concerned about my 12 pound weight loss. I told him the reasons I had probably lost weight, but he insisted I have blood work done.
    He told me to call the office the next day.

Because of my work hours, it is hard to talk to the nurse, so I left
    a message. She called later and left a message for me that they
    needed to talk to me. I was able to talk to her the next day.

She told me that my white blood cell count and my platelet count were low and that she had made me an appointment with a hematologist at the cancer center at the hospital. The "cancer
    center" comment unnerved me, and I didn't think to ask her what the numbers were so I would know how low they were.

I just wrote down the appointment information and we ended the
    call.

Bone marrow is what produces the platelets, if I am reading right.
    Since they are low, I am thinking they will want to do a bone marrow biopsy to see how many platelets it is producing.

I think I may have developed Lupus. My daughter has it. I am not thinking cancer.

I have a physical job and I do alot of work at my Moms since my Dad passed away in January. I have been feeling fine other than being more tired, but I don't rest on my weekends anymore. I take care of my house and yard on Saturdays and I am taking care of Mom and her house on Sundays. Mom is 83.

I am staying positive. It is just the thought of maybe having to have that test that makes butterflies in my stomach.

For those of you who pray, I would appreciate a prayer. My appointment is Tuesday at 2:40.

Thanks so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Try not to go where you don't need to go yet. I was sent to the Cancer Center years ago. Any anomolies with your blood qualify. I have genentic mutations for clotting. I took my DD last month. Neither one of us have cancer. Call your DR. back and ask more questions. Worrying and wondering can end w/ a quick phone call.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had two bone marrow biopsies. Initially, only a local anesthetic was going to be used. I am a RN, and had assisted in these years ago, and I was totally freaked out about it. So, they did give me some IV meds (demerol and ativan i think), and the procedure went smoothly. My second was just done with a local, and the physician assistant that did it had trouble, and it was awful.

I would call tomorrow, find out who is doing it (the first PA that did mine was very experienced and if I needed another one, I could probably go thru it with just the local), and see what kind of sedation is available. If something is avail, please take it. In addition, if you are at a cancer ctr, it SHOULD be available, and while it might not be the norm, I would insist on it.

I was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma, and have been in remission since 3/07. But, my platelets were low, my WBC's high. Now, I am watching my labs follow the same thing again. DARN!

Please, any other questions, please post or send me a message!

Oh, and I had googled info, and got even more upset, so stay off the internet (well,except FV!) Don't worry about pain at the biopsy site after the procedure...a few tylenol will take care of that!

Hugs to you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go to a blood guy for a blood clot and his office is at a cancer place. I feel really weird going there for the appts since my problem is just a blood clot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prayers headed your way and know that we will be praying during your procedure. Best of luck and let us know how it went for you. Ask for something to make it more bearable if it is available you might as well use it.

Monner:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Will be saying a prayer for you when you go for your appointment.

My uncle had the procedure done and although he said it was uncomfortable (after he awoke, they put him out) he said it wasn't too bad.

Keep us posted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you all very much for your thoughts, information and prayers.

I plan to call the office of the doctor I will be seeing Tuesday. I am going to ask them if there is anything special I should do/bring to the appointment. AND, I am going to ask them if they can give me a general idea of what will take place. I am fretting over something that may not even happen.

I am not googling anymore either, but glad I did look up information on the bone marrow test, because I can be prepared to insist on sedation if it comes to that.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia when I was 41. My doctor, who I see every three months, usually does blood work to make sure I am not progressing to Lupus. I am still thinking that that is what is happening.

Lupus isn't pleasant by any means, but it isn't cancer. From what I read, late onset Lupus isn't as destructive as it might be to a younger person. I am 56.

I will be back Tuesday evening with an update. I truly appreciate being able to talk about my fears here, as I am not telling anyone in my family about this until after the tests when I know something more definite.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just have an update regarding my appointment today.

My doctor had sent the hematologist my medical records. When I finally got to see him, he said I had these same readings back in 2007. He said he didn't think my platlets were low, just low normal.

He asked me why I thought I had lost weight and I told him. He
    wasn't concerned about my readings at all, but because I am a smoker, and I have lost weight, he sent me down for a chest x-ray.
    I am calling for the results of that tomorrow, so not quite out of the woods yet, but not freaking out anymore either.

I stressed so much about having that test and thought my counts must have been really low for my doctor to send me over there. I think it was the weight loss that triggered him. Still, guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but the people at the cancer center here were so very nice!

Thanks for letting me vent my anxiety earlier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay......one test down that was good........one to go.

Good luck and hope the xray shows that the lungs are okay. Your Dr. will probably nag you about the smoking, no matter what they show.