Lack of Appetite
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Lack of Appetite

My dd is 9 and has absolutely no appetite, not even for junk. She is thin for her height and is really starting to look scrawny. I have debated taking her to the dr. but am afraid they will give me that line "oh, she'll eat when she's hungry". In her case its just not true, she's never hungry. I do have her on a multi-vitamin. I am really thinking of trying some type of alternative/homeopathic medicine but have no idea what to try. There are no alternative drs in my area. I am at wits end here. Has anyone ever had this problem with their child? Any suggestions? Eating is one of my favorite past times, so this just blows me away that my child will not eat. HELP
    Thanks in advance,
    paelthom

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

does she drink a lot of liquid,like juice or milk ..if she does it may be filling her up..does she watch tv as she is eating..if so stop that..

i know what u mean about eating being a fav pasttime..i used to love to eat as a kid

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son Eion is seven years old and has just gained weight in the past year. Two months ago he was 42 pounds, now he is 49. I was blown away when I took him in yesterday and he had gained so much weight. This is the highest gain ever! He is never hungry, I force him to eat, I call him in for lunch and watch him eat so I make sure he has lunch. He told the neighbors we don't eat lunch. LOL. He would rather play than waste his time eating I say if you aren't going to force her to eat, We don't spank we just don't let him leave the table unless he eats. Give her a multi vitamin and try to get her to eat protein shakes or raw juices for the nutrients anyway. I would look at whether she may have a potential eating disorder either observing it from one of her friends or television etc. If she is truly not hungry it can be a sign of depression, are things alright at school? After investigating these things if she just doesn't have an appetite, leave her alone, she will probably grow out of it. I mention these other issues because I suffered from bulimia for four year and anorexia for eight. My issues with weight started really young.

Nealy

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She does drink liquids but again not that much. I am concerned that we may be starting an eating disorder. She is having a rotten year at school (don't even get me started!!!). Her teacher is the pits (sorry to all the good teacher's out there). As for eating in front of the tv, she will actually eat more there than at the table. However, I believe in eating at the table unless its a Saturday afternoon snack or something. As for keeping her at the table, she will sit there for hours and still not eat. Dinner is a tense time because of her not eating. I think if it was a power move on her part, she would sneak and eat later but she really does not ever want to eat. It is driving me crazy. I think I will buy some of that Ensure or Boost and try to get her to at least drink that. Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming.
    paelthom

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i would talk to a doctor about it. if she is having a problem at school it could very well be related to that, you want to defantly get ahold on this before it goes any further. JMO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

have you tried talking to the school counselor? if she is having a bad year in school, that could very well be causing her eating problems. i know i don't eat when i get depressed. the counselor might be able to talk to her and help work out what is bothering her or recommend someone for her to talk to. if you can get her to drink the breakfast shakes, she'll get the nutrients she needs and she won't get dehydrated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unfortunately we live in an area where schools are way underfuned. We no longer have a school counselor. The most important person at school IMHO and they ditch that position. Now our principal is supposed to be our counselor as well. No child wants to confide in the principal like they would a counselor. Also the principal is new to the school and that isn't helping any. I just called a herbalist here in town that does iridology (looking at the condition of your eyes for medical problems) and she does vitamin counseling. I am thinking of taking dd to her and see what she says. I am really going out on a limb here. I am going to get the liquid breakfast drink things today and see if she will drink those in the meantime. I appreciate your thoughts, keep them coming.
    paelthom

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow this is a hard one.

I have never had an appetite right from birth! And although I was diagnosed 16years ago with anorexia I know I don't have it. I just don't ever get hungrey and don't enjoy eating. My habits have rubbed off on my teenage daughter though and I haven't decided whether she IS anorexic or uses it as a weapon because she knows it worries me?

Anyway obviously you have to do Something, but at the same time I wouldn't recommend blowing it out of proportion (at least in your DD's eyes - that's what I mean) You wouldn't want to teach her it's a way of getting attention for the future, or creating an eating disorder if there isn't one.

I think the protein drinks are a good idea and asking her what she would like to eat? I also agree that depression could be causing it (it certainly agravates my problems) and I think immediate professional help for serious depression. I don't think forcing her to do anything regarding food is a good idea (like sitting at the table forever!) My brother was made to sit at the dinner table every meal time for 2 days with the same meal and he STILL didn't eat it!! Anyway it just magnifys the problem.

Also my best trick (although it can take a bit of planning) is VERY LITTLE and VERY OFTEN.

I hope you can move forward with this problem - it's one that is close to my heart. Please keep us posted on how you are going.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my goodness Heavensent_7, you have lived through this! It just blows my mind that there are people who are not hungry or have no appetite. I agree that this can't escalate into a power or attention getting thing. My dd is smart and it's like I have to outsmart her on food. I am longing for the days of bottles and baby cereal. It was so much easier back then. One thing I would like to do is to make things she likes ahead of time and freeze them so I would have something to bribe her with when she refuses to eat anything else. But there is so little that she even shows any interest in. Please keep us in your thoughts,
    paelthom