Total Hip Replacement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Total Hip Replacement

I had an appointment today with an Orthopedic Doctor and I am a few years away from needing a new right hip. I have know about my hip problem for at least 30 years. I have never had the range of motion I should have had on the right side. I can't put on socks, buckle or tie anything on my right foot. Over the years the pain has gotten worse and now it is popping out of the socket more and more.

When I was in my early 20's I was told I had a defect with the shape of the ball part of my hip and sometime in the way off future I would need surgery to replace it. Well that far off future is getting closer and closer.

For now it is a wait and see situation and how bad the pain gets till I need it. He said there is new stuff coming out all the time, things advance quickly with new technology.

From all I have read this surgery is not for the faint at heart quite a recovery process. I had no idea.

Well thanks for letting me get this out. I am only going to be 50 here in a few days. I know there are really young women that need serious operations to correct other type hip problems which I had no idea about either. All in the child bearing age, I could not imagine. At least my children are all grown.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry you are going through the Jas HUGS

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs, know about the hip pain and it's nothing to make light of. I can't walk to the mail box without having to stop on the way back.
    I'm thinking of you and know it dosen't do any good to say don't worry cause that's not going to happen...
    Hugs coming your way
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry

I bet after it's all over and yuo've recovered, you're going to feel like a million bucks. You'll show those right shoes who's boss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about this jas - its not fun living with chronic pain. If I recall correctly IntlMom went through a hip replacement not too long ago and she's up and at it, living a full life. She may be able to give advice or help calm potential fears.

(gee, I hope I didn't think of the wrong person here )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you will be fine. i was unable to walk for the last five years, i let it get so bad i was hanging on everything i did. i finally went and had my first replacement (at 48) two years ago. i had to wait 9 months to do the second one and it was very hard to get around still. By the time i did the second one, it has been a year in last may. it took me a while to get every things back into balance. the pool helped alot, i did my therapy in there and at the therapist. the therapist got so exspensive and i only did it for 6 weeks, that is probably why i didnt recover right away. i start to push kinda hard and then set myself back another 6 months . i have been walker less, no canes, since the first of April. i do all my exercises and i am really coming along fast. the one thing about the surgery was that it took away the pain. oh the pain, the grinding chronic pain. i now only have muscle aches and little stuff if i over do it..
    i really recommend it.. you will be so surprised .
    i am so blessed.. holler anytime you want to ask me anything
    ms louise

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs to you and your hip. I'll be facing my own in another decade or so. I take Glucosamine and chondroitin to help "calm" my flare ups and they work as an anti inflamatory without the effects that nsaids have.

From the rehab perspective, I would rather have a hip replacement than a knee replacement. I worked with an 80 yr old woman who post op day 1, got out of bed on her own, dressed then took a 300 foot stroll with me to demonstrate stairs with a cane. That was her second hip replacement and she was weight bearing as tolerated.... she tolerated beautifully and I discharged her from PT that day. LOL

Getting in and out of bed is the most difficult thing with a hip replacement, once your out, walking is easy.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys for all the encouragement! I guess for now the plan is to lose some weight and get my self in better shape for hopefully a faster quicker recovery.

I do think it was Intl mom who also had hip replacement last year or not that long ago.

lwlynch glad to hear that you are well on your way to a full recovery on both sides.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can I ask you ladies what was the cause or reason for your need for THR (now or in the future) Mine is mainly from a defected shaped ball that is causing all the damage.

TIA

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    Sorry

I bet after it's all over and yuo've recovered, you're going to feel like a million bucks. You'll show those right shoes who's boss.
    can't wait for that to happen. Right now you should see the twists I have to get into to put a sock on. I always end up with a horrible cramp in my calf. As you can imagine I usually stick to slip on shoes.

Just a few weeks ago my ds got married and I sat down to put hose on for the first time in years and well with them being tight to begin with and trying to start them around my foot I had to give up and call dh to put them on my foot. That was a scene I can assure you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    can't wait for that to happen. Right now you should see the twists I have to get into to put a sock on. I always end up with a horrible cramp in my calf. As you can imagine I usually stick to slip on shoes.

Just a few weeks ago my ds got married and I sat down to put hose on for the first time in years and well with them being tight to begin with and trying to start them around my foot I had to give up and call dh to put them on my foot. That was a scene I can assure you.
    You'll have support stockings to wear after surgery which means the memory of those hose will be lost in the laughter of him helping you with the fashionable white supports. lol

I have arthritis in the hip from years of odd positioning and lifting for work over the past 2 decades. It has gotten worse (as I've gained weight) and each day I try to stretch out, move more and eat less.

I did work with one woman who was in her forties who had BOTH hips done in the same surgery (most people will wait a few days between surgeries). WOW... she was awesome. If I recall, she went home after discharge instead of a rehab facility and she needed an overhead trapeze/hospital bed at home for a few weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i had severe arthritis.. but i am so glad that is behind me..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My husband will be 50 in a couple of weeks and he needs both hips replaced. He's trying to put it off for as long as he can. I hate to see him in so much pain. He's putting it off because we've been told the first hip replacements aren't so bad, but when you have to have the same hip replaced the second time it's a lot worse the second time. So he's trying to time it so he only has to have it done once.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so thankful that there is a surgery that can be done to help you and all of us in need.

My orthopaedic surgeon wants to wait five years - putting it off s long as possible - beforer replacing one hip and the opposite knee. I am also working on losing weight and keeping up a regime of pool exercising to keep my body as strong as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Jas, I am so sorry you have to go through with this. The technology is fabulous now for hip replacements. My DH's aunt just had one last year and she is 82! She is now walking fine and is happy it was done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast