My Daughter Has a Never-Ending Cough...(Need advice)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My Daughter Has a Never-Ending Cough...(Need advice)

I guess I've been in denial that DD2 has been sick. She coughs a lot at night (last night was the worst...maybe 1/2 an hour of straight coughing) and a bit thoughout the day. Yesterday she started coughing so much in the afternoon that she threw up on the basement carpet! After she threw up I laid her down for a nap, and she napped for about 1 hour.

The reason I've been in denial is because she can function at her normal level, has been eating normal amounts, has no runny nose and doesn't cough all the time. There are long bouts in the day that she apears absolutely fine. Yesterday and last night was the worst. This coughing has probably gone on for about 3 to 4 weeks...it's just worstened of late.

When she wouldn't stop coughing last night (even tried giving her Tylenol Cough and Cold and water), I made up my mind she needs to see our family doctor. Now that she's 'up and at it' this morning I'm having second thoughts. I find it a waste of time when he says, "It's just viral." and there is nothing you can give her to make her better.

Any thoughts as to whether you think it's possible that I find a cure withouth bringing her to the doctor? Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A cough that is worse at night, goes on for quite a while, and is not accompanied by other symptoms of a viral or bacterial infection, is often a sign of asthma. I would take her to the doctor.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Viruses don't usually last for a month. Maybe she is asthmatic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Has it just been in the last few weeks that you have closed the house up? The reason I ask is I cough like a lunatic at night ( and when first up)since we closed up the windows. It turned out we had a bit of mold in our closet that was setting me off.

Also allergies can cause icky stuff to drip down your throat when you lay down. and make one cough and gag.

I could be way way off but wanted to share in case it might help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Asthma would be my concern also. We found out our daughter had asthma a couple years ago after she had a cough just like you described, occassional coughing during the day but much worse at night. For whatever reason my daughter only has issues with her asthma during the fall months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does she have a fever? viral things normally have fevers don't they?

Is the cough wet or dry?

So many reason for coughs it doesn't hurt to have a doc check it out. I don't know how Canda works but her with some insurances they have to have documented proof of the cough for X amount of time before they can call it a chronic cough and can move onto investigate other reasons like asthma etc for the cough.

We have our share of nighttime coughing. My oldest coughed every night for years before they figured out what it was.

First it was needing his tonsils out. He slept very well and quiet until allergy season. Then after that was out they figured out he had allergy induced asthma. once they figured out what medicine would work for him Singulair he has been quiet at night ( except the occasional cold) for 8+ years.

I cough at night and morning from mucus running from my sinus my daughter is the same. The docs solution for us keep the sinuses from plugging up.

When Hubby coughs it is normally after a cold or virus and it has turned into phenomena.

Several coughs several different answers.

Whatever you decide I hope your girl finds some relief soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would definitely take her to see the doctor. Most viruses don't last for 3-4 weeks. I hope she feels better soon, this can't be easy on you either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Watch that and get something to control that cough. I had one that bad a couple of years ago. I coughed so violently I broke two ribs (can't tell you how painful that was, and ended me in ER). At that point, it had progressed to pneumonia. After several months (yes, months!) of coughing, I FINALLY got a prescription that quieted the cough so the lungs (and ribs) could heal. Problem is now that my lungs have never been the same. Good luck to your daughter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's my story: I had a cough like that...for FIVE years! I can't count the number of Dr. visits, medications, breathing tests, CT scan, etc. Thousands of dollars later, one Dr. finally told me I would just be one of the 5% of patients who are never diagnosed and to live with it!!!

My good friend in NE who suffers from sinus issues recommended the Neti Pot. I was desperate and it was a benign and cheap solution, so I tried it. Every day for two weeks...untl my husband started noticing I wasn't coughing!!! Turns out, it WAS post nasel drip....gunk in my throat and after about a month, it was completely gone. That was three years ago....I've had no issues since. If I start to feel a tickle I use if for a few days.....
    At one point I was visitng my sister in Seattle and it was SO bad they took me to the ER. I think it did have to do with the mold spores and dampness there....

Seriously...I know it sounds silly, but that neti pot changed my life. I had even quit working because I literally could not carry on a polite conversation without a coughing attack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am going to go w/ allergic asthma. Which means allergy testing.
    Allergies inflame the sinus cavities and can make you cough until you can throw up. My BF DD had this prob.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post

Also allergies can cause icky stuff to drip down your throat when you lay down. and make one cough and gag.
    This is what I have... a lovely post nasal drip. My sinuses are clear and I can breathe without difficulty but drip..... drip.... drip....

I have it about 8 months out of the year so it is an allergic reaction to something! And since it crosses so many seasons it is probably a reaction to several different things. I do take an antihistamine when it gets aggravating enough and during the dry months I'll use a humidifier in the bedroom.

Hope you find out what it is for her. Coughing at night can be very draining on a young body.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with the others on this one. Sounds a lot like allergies / asthma. My husband is like this. Fine throughout most of the day, with only a little coughing here and there, but at night, it can't get very bad. Allergies make it even worse. Your best bet is the doctor, just so he can determine if it is one or both.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter is the same way. Her doctor thinks it's her allergies. I give her allergy medicine before school and dylsum at night, about an hour before bedtime, and it usually helps. It sounds like allergies/asthma. I would go ahead and take her to the doctor. Better to be safe.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ditto on the allergy/asthma.

Strip the sheets off her bed and encase her mattress. Wash the sheets in a natural detergent (never use dreft,tide, cheer, downy, snuggle -- even the unscented with allergies) and the hottest water you can. Do NOT dry the sheets outside. Pillows too. Vacuum the room like crazy including any stuffed animals (they can even go for a ride in an unheated dryer), curtains, blinds...clean all shelves, baseboards...Make sure there are no glade plug ins/febreeze/candles anywhere near the room

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mystypooh View Post
    My daughter is the same way. Her doctor thinks it's her allergies. I give her allergy medicine before school and dylsum at night, about an hour before bedtime, and it usually helps. It sounds like allergies/asthma. I would go ahead and take her to the doctor. Better to be safe.....
    Is her allergy medicine a 24 hour thing?
    At our house it is. We have found that the coughing is better when we take our allergy medicine at night before bed instead of in the morning.

Buddy's medicine a prescription even says to take it before bed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast