If You Were To Build A Wardrobe From Scratch....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default If You Were To Build A Wardrobe From Scratch....

What would be your must haves (for a complete wardrobe) for a stay at home mom, who sometimes needs to attend formal affairs, goes to church, works in the yard, garden & house, goes to the pool/beach occasionally (picnics) , and plans on an exercise program soon, in a 4 season area?

I'm interested in the entire wardrobe must haves, including shoes, outerwear, undergarments, night clothing, accessories, etc.

I've begun to get my dressing room/closet decluttered and functional and I'd like to build a wardrobe that meets my needs. If I had a list of things to look for while at rummage sale/yard sales, or clearance and coupons, I could keep that list in my purse. As it stands now, I see something, and while it may be n absolute steal, I often leave it sitting because I don't want to waste money on unnecessary things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is my list

Two or three pairs of jeans
    two pair of khaki pants -one winter weight one spring weight
    three or four pair of shorts and or capris
    A skirt
    2 dresses ( one for each season spring/summer Fall/winter)
    a black dress if the above skirt or dress is not funeral color appropriate

Four short sleeve shirts
    Four long sleeve shirts
    Four sweaters
    two or three sweatshirts
    a pair or two of sweatpants if you like to work out in them or yoga pants if you prefer

Swimsuit
    Swim suit cover up

Winter sleep wear a set or two ( these can be long underwear if you think you might wear these as underwear in your in your climate. I hate long underwear and do not wear them Hubby wears his nearly daily under his work clothes in the winter.
    Summer weight sleep wear a set or two

Socks a set
    Underwear a set
    bras ( three minimum)

Black shoes, brown shoes ( if they match any of your outfits), tennis shoes, flip flops for the pool. Sandals are nice to have but not a must have but a nice to have.

A jacket
    a coat (plus hat, scarf, gloves)

my jewelry - a few pair of earrings ( I have pieced ears) and one chain necklace. I change out the charm for different looks. These charms were gifts from my childhood on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of the things that is tripping me up is the formal events that I am required to attend. I can not do less than formal cocktail attire, quite possibly full length gown at times.

I fudged the gown once. I wore a black floor length skirt with a black lace blouse. It was not pretty, I felt like I raided my Great Grandmother's closet. The best part about the outfit was it hid my shoes which were not close to formal.

I wonder about the jacket too? And seasons, and shoes. There must be a way to achieve this without having 4 formal dresses/gowns, and 4 formal jackets, 4 formal pairs of shoes JUST for these dresses. Certainly I can find a frugal solution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Arrow

polly - are you reading my mind?! I was just thinking about 'What do I need to keep?' in terms of clothing as I am trying to pare down what I have.

Here's what *I* think I'd need to keep - as a person that does not work (take from this what you will)

Daily
    2-3 pairs of jeans
    1-2 sweatshirts/hoody
    1-2 cardigans/sweaters
    10 t-shirts/knit tops
    2-3 casual button down shirts (not formal type for work)
    2-3 long sleeved shirts
    2 pairs shorts
    2 pairs capri's
    5 tank tops

PJ's - 1-2 long sleeved button down tops w/bottoms, 2 nighties (summer & winter), 1-2 tee shirt/tank top with bottoms,

Lounge/At Home/Athletic
    2 pairs track/yoga pants
    2-3 baggy t-shirts
    2 bathing suits
    3 sports bras
    2-3 pairs athletic shorts
    1-2 athletic pants
    1 long sleeved shirt (for lounging or athletics)
    1 light weight zip hoody

Socializing/Date Night
    1 nice pair slacks
    1-2 pairs dark denim
    1 skirt
    1 nice pair capri's
    3-5 casual/dressy type tops

Formal
    1 suit - pant w/blazer (black/dk grey/brown)
    1 suit - skirt w/blazer (black/dk grey/brown)
    3 blouses/formal collar button down shirts
    1-2 "Lil Black Dresses"
    1-3 contemporary floral print dresses

Seasonal
    1 winter jacket w/hood - hip length
    1 spring/fall windbreaker/rain jacket w/hood
    1 denim jacket
    1 polar fleece
    1 pair wind pants (goes over top of regular pants)
    1 pair fleece lined snow pants

Undergarments & Socks
    14 pairs underwear
    14 pairs socks
    3-5 pairs dress socks
    1-2 pairs 'fuzzy' socks
    1 pair thermal longjohn's

Footwear
    1 pair properly fitted running shoe/cross trainer
    1 pair walking shoes (different then the exercise shoe)
    2 pair sandals (one casual and one dressy)
    2 pairs flip flops
    1-2 pair basic black heels that can be worn w/dress or suit
    1 pair snow boots
    1 pair of rain boots - if you're into that
    1-2 pairs slippers

Miscellaneous
    1-2 belts
    1-3 scarves (accessory type)
    2 toques
    2 winter scarves
    2 pair mitts
    2 pair gloves

I'm sure I've forgotten something but just wanted to get the basic stuff out of my head. Feel free to suggest anything. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ok see If I can help
    daily
    3 pairs of jogging pants for cleaning and exercising in
    6 t shirts
    3 hoodies
    3 pairs of jeans
    3 pairs of shorts
    2 pairs of capri

church/ business wear
    1 -2 black trosers light weight wear tights if cold
    1-2 chocolate brown
    1-2 grey
    3 white blouses
    a grey sweater, black sweater red sweater, tan and cream
    1-2 pencil or a line skirt
    1-2 flowery or jewel toned to be pretty dresses or tops
    a wrap dress
    summer sun dresses and lighter tops to go with slacks

formal wear
    a black floor length skirt
    a black cocktail dress
    a smack me red dress that screams wow
    a pair of black stilettos
    a pair brown heels
    a pair of sparley heel
    flats 3 pair
    a pasmena shawl

outer wear
    a warm coat with a hood
    a reservable rain coat
    a light jacket
    a heavy jacket
    shoes
    3 flats
    3 heels
    1 brown riding boot/ or black
    tennies 1 for work 1 for running arround in
    4 pairs of sandles have to give them a break or they stink

pjs and personals
    4-5 winter pjs
    4-5 summer pjs
    2 pair of long johns
    2 pair of balck tights, 2 pair of chocolate brown, 2 pair of dove gray
    10 pairs of panties I change 2x day can't stand them sweaty
    gross sorry
    4 bras
    10 pairs of socks white
    a couple balck and brown pair

1 black purse 1 brown
    scarf 1 gloves 2, hats 2

This what my basic warobe is except I have more jeans and sweaters
    Last edited by oheoh's momma; 02-11-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ha! I forgot bras!!

3-5 everyday bras
    1 special va-va-va-VOOM bra for date nights

polly - for your formal gowns - can you buy used/secondhand from Davids Bridal? They have awesome 'gowns' for very formal events an they were all well under $100 last time I was there. (or look to buy used formal dresses from shops that rent them out if you have the skills to clean up/repair/tailor as needed)

Tips: stick to neutrals and bling up the dress with accessories: costume jewelry from Ardene/Claires at the mall. I know its a costume jewelry/young type store but if you look hard enough, you'll find that you can wear a lot of their stuff in a very grown up manner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Libby u added the wow bra ok rockin panties... every woman should feel beautiful and sexy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd say at minimum I would need (and I get bored looking at the same stuff so this is minimum without being completely "drastic"):

2 pairs of jeans (one dark and one light)
    1 pair sweat pants for lounging, cleaning
    2 pairs of exercise pants
    1 pair of denim capris
    1 pair of jean shorts
    1 pair of black capris
    1 pair of black dressy pants
    1 pair of brown dressy pants
    1 black cardigan sweater
    3 sweaters
    1 hoodie
    3 long sleeved casual shirts
    3 dressy long sleeved shirts
    black skirt
    black dress
    2-3 nice dresses
    3 casual short sleeved shirts
    3 tank tops
    3 dressy short sleeved shirts
    brown shoes, black shoes, tennis shoes, snow boots, flip flops, black sandals
    coat

I have a lot more than this currently. However, I really have more shirts/sweaters/tops than bottoms. it is easy to make an outfit look new by just changing out a top. Many of my tops and sweaters can be worn dressy or casually as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I avoid floor length gowns like the plague (too matronly for my taste). However, for cocktail dresses I often turn to Ebay. My last one was a dress that was tagged at over $200 when I tried it on in the store, I ended up getting the same dress new with tags from Ebay for $30 including the shipping. I tend to stick with classic styles and solid colors and then add appropriate accessories. In colder weather I usually wear my trench coat (often ends up being left in the car), and bring along a pretty wrap for the event. I also like the simplicity of gold or silver accessories, including shoes and clutches.

My trench coat is an absolute staple for me. It's such a versatile item...cooler weather add the wool liner, warmer weather take it out, looks great over skirts, looks great with jeans and boots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    What would be your must haves (for a complete wardrobe) for a stay at home mom, who sometimes needs to attend formal affairs, goes to church, works in the yard, garden & house, goes to the pool/beach occasionally (picnics) , and plans on an exercise program soon, in a 4 season area?

I'm interested in the entire wardrobe must haves, including shoes, outerwear, undergarments, night clothing, accessories, etc.
    ~Sounds like the way I live! Here are my choices and not too far off from what I actually have.~

~2 pair of nice dark blue jeans, straight leg and bootcut
    ~2 pairs of house jeans, lighter colors and looser fits
    ~pair of nice black slacks
    ~1 pair khaki cargo pants
    ~1-3 pairs denim shorts/cargo shorts/lightweight pedal pushers(this will depend if the person is a summer dress or shorts person, so the max in one type and the minimum in the other types) *** I recommend long skater type shorts as I think they are more versatile and cooler to wear than denim and pedal pushers.
    ~2-4 cotton summer dresses in bold colors ***
    ~1-3 summer skirts ***
    ~knee-length denim skirt
    ~knee length nice black skirt
    ~jogging suit(fitted sweat pants and hoodie)
    ~biker shorts
    ~sports bra
    ~5 t-shirts, solid colors
    ~5 tank tops in various solid colors and styles for layering
    ~3 long sleeve tees, solid colors
    ~sweatshirt or hoodie
    ~2 sweaters or heavier weight long sleeve tops
    ~2 jumper style Winter dresses, in neutral colors
    ~4 nice blouses, short or 3/4 sleeve, nice to have some with button ups so you can layer other color tanks under for versatility
    ~nice cardigan
    ~bathrobe and slippers
    ~2 sets of whatever nightclothes preferred
    ~10 pairs of undies
    ~10 pairs of socks in a blend of athletic/ white, brown and black dress
    ~cotton bra
    ~multi-way bra
    ~athletic sneakers
    ~cheap sneakers for around the house and yard
    ~2 pair sandals or flip-flops
    ~nice boots
    ~snow boots
    ~"mall shoes" This is what I call nice looking, comfortable shoes to wear with jeans to the mall. I like Merrell moccasins.
    ~tankini with cover up skirt
    ~2 fashion scarves, one in a solid(black brown navy white)and one in a floral or bold color to wear in spring and fall
    ~insulated winter coat
    ~knee length coat, preferably in lightweight suede or moleskin to go with dresses
    ~2 pair of dress shoes/pumps
    ~2 pair nude hose, 2 pair tights
    ~2 jackets in different styles/formalities(I have one in embroidered silk and one in a western corduroy style
    ~driving gloves
    ~snow gloves
    ~one winter scarf/one winter hat or ear warmers
    ~costume jewelry to accessorize, preferable about 5 pieces from each category:necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings plus a good pair of driving sunglasses

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow- in rereading my post I forgot an awful lot....

I am so not a minimalist when it comes to clothes. I need to get rid of some so that I can get them all put away! But as a full time SAHM for the past 18 years, you do need clothes for all occasions. I do find that I prefer to wear on a daily basis nice jeans with nice tops or sweaters- I'm not a yoga pants mom. But if they looked good on me I'd be tempted!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great lists! I would add one or two nice blazers. (Do people still call them blazers??) Anyway, I'm talking about a jacket. You can wear it over the little black dress, or with pants, or even with nice jeans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to go back over these lists again, and maybe again. But what stands out to me is 2 things, I already have more shoes than everyone, and still don't have what I need.

Nuisance, Mall Shoes!!! That's mostly what I have at this point in my life. My back screams with anything else. However, I need to get 2 pairs of fancy, formal shoes I think. I won't be able to get anything over 2". That's my absolute limit, and they'd still need to be back friendly.

And what's with the 2 pairs of pajamas? I have 4 flannel gowns, and 1 flannel shirt and pants. They are all faded, and clearly seen better days. But I'm hoping for a few more Winters out of them. My MIL just bought me a jersey cotton type gown, so that makes 6 pair of cold weather night clothes. That feels right, you wash once a week, so day seven is wash day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For formal I would go with a tailored black floor length dress and a black classic floor length skirt of medium weight material. For a top you could purchase a silk fitted blouse long and short sleeve and use a wide belt to go with it. Depending on the season would dictate which blouse to wear. Jewelry, scarves and jacket could alter the look. Might want to purchase a velour black jacket. Can wear with pants, jeans, or skirt and dresses up any outfit instantly.

Also, underwear wise purchase cotton. No need in buying a bunch of different material.

Would definately stay with classics that you could mix and match. See what websites might have the basic pieces you can purchase that you mix and match. Also make sure to only purchase blouses/tops that complement your skin tone.

Medium weight jackets can cover three seasons depending on the color and material.

Short sleeve and sleeveless tops can go under sweater and jackets in the fall and winter stretching the amount of wear. Lots of times if depends on the color you choose. Example: I purchased sleeveless tops that have a bow that you tie in the front. The colors can be worn year round under different sweaters and blazers.

Try purchasing button down sweaters. When worn with a shirt they can replace a blazer for the office. They can also be worn button up with jeans to make a nice weekend outfit or dress down day at the office.

Personally I would keep whatever shoes you have unless they are in bad shape. Just changing shoes can really change an outfit quickly with additional accessories.

I would take a good long look at the clothes you have and pick out what you like the best and look the best on you. Then see what you can mix and match to make different outfits with and how many seasons you can use them in. Then see what additional pieces you might want to pick up.

My around the house/gardening clothes are really just the worn clothes that I have. Pajamas are thermal underwear. So they double as extra layers when I need it during extreme cold. My sweatpants double as around the home pants and outside exercise pants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did I mention I have way to many clothes? But I am prepared for any occasion that may come up. Thank you thrift stores and clearance sales!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast