Consistency

Thread: Consistency

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Consistency

I thought I would ask for some advice. I work at a desk most days for 8 hrs. I also eat lunch at my desk. In the evening I am busy taking care of my two little boys who are 3.5 and 2 yrs old. They are in bed by 8 pm. I have recently gained some weight and would really like to lose some weight. I feel like I eat pretty good most of the time. I really think my main problem is getting exercise in regularly. I have a really hard time sticking to anything. I will get motivated for a week or sometimes a couple days then it is gone. I would love some suggestions on how to incorporate something into my daily routine. I do not have time to go to the gym and I really don't like running.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go for a walk during lunch hour. Take a sandwich or other portable foods along to work so you don't have to eat at your desk.

Take your kids to the park when you get home from work. Try for three days a week. You can take a picnic supper along which would be fun for everyone.

Try to get some meals in the freezer or use a Crock-Pot, so when you get home from work you can use the time you would have used to make supper to go for a walk instead. Put your kids in a stroller and take them along. Or get a bike trailer for them and go for a bike ride.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've been picking a new park we haven't been to in the city and going for a walk each weekend. Don't think of it as exercise, just something fun to do. Fresh air, kids tired afterward, pretty scenery....and you're burning calories.

There are lots of workouts on YouTube. You could do something like that a couple times a week.

Taking the stairs and parking far away from an entrance will help a bit.

My dh and I have been using myfitnesspal app (they have a website too) for tracking what we eat, our weight and exercise. It has made us very aware of what we are doing to our bodies. I've lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks ( althought I'm losing baby weight right now....I don't expect that to be a norm).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll second walking at lunch. Fall weather should be lovely almost everywhere soon. Take the stairs.

Take a close look at what you're eating and see if you can skim calories. Did you know that a bagel has about 290 calories, while an english muffin has about 120? Not much change of diet there, but look at the calorie difference.

If you're trying to be healthy by eating one of those "7-grain whole wheat" breads you're looking at 110 calories per slice, compared to plain old white bread at ~24 calories.

See where I'm going? A few changes here and there and you can cut your calorie intake (which is too high if you're gaining weight) without significantly changing your diet or resorting to celery sticks and melba toast.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the suggestions. Probably some more information that would be helpful. I only have 30 min for lunch. I usually bring leftovers so they don't go to waste. I usually have enough leftovers to last the whole week. We live in the country and going to the park would consist of driving 20 min. We could go for walks in the evening but I usually try keeping up on household tasks. I probably just need to make it a priority instead of I will do it when I have the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

play with the kids. A game of tag at that age would be fun and could be a challenge. Make an obstacle course of then those are harder for mom that n the kids. Jump rope with the kids or if they can't yet. play jump the river with the rope. Then they get bigger ride bikes with them. play the wii with the children.

Have fun. good for you good for the kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure what type of leftovers you are bringing to work but if it is from your dinner than you might want to rethink that. Since you are basically eating two dinners a day. If the leftovers are veggies and a healthy meat then it probably won't matter. Try to think about the types of food you are making. Are they high in carbs, have lots of heavy sauces, to much fat, to large a portion.

Try taking 10 minutes after work to jump rope. It will get your heart rate going. During the weekends plan on being active with your children for about an hour each day. There are lots of way to exercise. Try to think of what you enjoyed doing as a child that was active (roller skate, dancing, hula hoop, etc).

It sounds as if you are really busy especially with two little ones. Try completely relaxing in a quiet room after the children go to sleep for a couple of minutes. It may help you to re-center yourself. I find I tend to eat more when I am stressed.

With exercising just take it one day at a time. No need to say things like I have to do this or that. Just say at this time of day I will do some sort of exercise for ten minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be sure you're staying hydrated at work. Fill a 52-oz. Bubba Keg or other insulated mug with ice and water in the morning and take it to work to sip from all day. Add a lemon slice if you like. It might help you eat less. Don't eat refined carbs because they make your blood sugar spike, then crash, which can lead to overeating. Whole foods keep your blood sugar more even.

A lot of your leftovers might freeze well. Save them for dinner another night so you can use that time for exercise after work.

We've gotten used to eating the same thing two night in a row or more. That's another way to carve out some exercise time because supper is right there in the fridge waiting to be heated up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You sound like a busy Lady How about getting up half an hour earlier and building in 20min of exercise at home, try to find something you like, yoga, tai chi, dancing? after that I'd agree with all the suggestions for playing with the kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cut out all sugar (including artificial sweeteners) and startches and you will lose weight very steadily. Eat all of the fruits and non-startchy vegis you want along with proteins and you won't be hungry. After you start losing you can add some complex carbs in moderation (avoid white- use oats, brown rice, and no starchy meals- no pastas, potatoes). If you add in a little exercise you will do even better. For me, it is not setting strict rules that are easy to break, but instead taking advantage of the free moments I have. Taking a walk while a child is at a dance class or in the evening while pushing kids in the stroller. Jump on a trampoline in your back yard. Swim laps in the pool while your kids swim with you (in floaties). Or get up a little early and go for a quick walk before you get dressed. Every little bit helps and if you can only fit in 20 minutes than do 20 minutes. I need to do this all too- I've been lenient this summer and am going to dive in after this holiday weekend. Good luck!!