Plastic Surgery

Thread: Plastic Surgery

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Plastic Surgery

Hey gals! It has been like forever since I have been on here. A long time ago there was a thread about plastic surgery on here and I can't find it so I am starting this one.

This is not to bash plastic surgery by no means. It has been a while since I have been here and this is one of the things that has happened in my absence.

In Feb 2001 I got breast implants for all the reasons you might think a person would get them. For sure after getting kids things don't look the same ect..... My dh was never really on board with them but went along because I wanted them so bad. I have to say that my experience with having them was not bad at all and loved them till the last week in January 2013 when one of them ruptured, well leaked is a better description since it didn't happen all at once and there was no gaping hole. My first reaction was I am getting this fixed ASAP!!! I didn't tell my dh till after my appointment with the PS. I got in the same day I noticed something was not right. His first reaction was "Get the dam things out!" At first I thought he was being cheap and a jerk. Not taking into consideration what the awful state they would be in after 13 years.

After he said that I found a wonderful site online about women getting explanted, a new word for me! After reading story after story about the success of these women I decided that was what I was going to do. Explant with no new implants and live with the results.

Since by the time of the explant the one that had leaked was totally empty my PS said that is what the results would be and if I could live with what they looked like now that would be my results. I was lucky in that respect since I had somewhat of a preview. I got explanted on Feb 28th and am happy with the results.

I could not financially or emotionally go through this again in another 13 years or some other problem could happen. And financially it would be totally unfair to keep this going on and on. At some point you have to look your age even if that is .... and down to your knees! Not really that bad.

This is not to tell someone to get plastic surgery or not to get anything done everyone who decides to get something done has probably thought long and hard about it but in some surgeries the results don't last forever and even though you get that info at the time of your surgery you don't think it will happen to you or if it does it will be so far in the future you will deal with it then. Like I said mine were great till that day when they weren't!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am sorry you had to go through this. Seems like they would have a better solution by this time, something that doesn't leak.

Wish I could give you some of mine, I have always found them too big. Runs in my family.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Now that it is over I am glad I have them out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a facial procedure in my 20's, it went wrong and I needed 4 more surgeries to correct it. In the end, I spent 20+ hours under anesthesia and spent close to $50,000 on all 5 procedures. That's the ugly truth of plastic surgery. I wish more people would be aware of the risks and how often it goes wrong before signing up for these procedures. Going into it, I was not at all aware of the complication rates and need for revisions. Of course I signed the release forms, but my surgeon definitely downplayed the risks. And this wasn't a cheap surgeon, he was a professor at Johns Hopkins, was rated the best in Washington DC and worked on a lot of politicians and their partners.

I'm glad yours is resolved with minimal drama. Mine was a 12 year long nightmare.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Muse sorry to hear about your experience! Yes we all sign those forms in the beginning thinking I will be the lucky one nothing happens too. Something always happens, it just might not have yet. It's a lot of money to only end up being worse off than if you had done nothing at all. And with a whole lot less money in your pocket!

I have several friends who have also had breast implants theirs are fine at this moment but they are issues waiting to happen and the odds are something will down the line. I don't know if they would re-implant or what but none are in the same financial situation that they were in when they got them. Meaning it would be a major problem money wise for at least two of them if something were to go wrong at this point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had my forehead lifted and droopy eyelids corrected. In the pre-op meeting the surgeon offered Botox for forehead wrinkles. I refused since I really don't have forehead wrinkles. In the post-op meeting he asked me to make weird faces and kept making odd comments about the results. When I asked what he was looking for he said he usually gives Botox "as a bonus" after the kind of surgery I had. I reminded him that I had refused it. He said, "You did, hummmmm ..." while looking at my chart then added, "... well it didn't seem to have taken anyway."

A year later I was diagnosed with a severe form of inflammatory arthritis. The doctors suspect it was triggered by an exposure to food poisoning. Botox is the weakened botulism virus.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Holy moley! The PS gave you shots you didn't want and specifically said no too! When I was going through my decision period on what I was going to do I read so many stories about how a PS would put in or inflate implants much bigger than the person wanted thinking that going bigger would make the person not regret saying they only wanted a little help in the fullness department. A lot of these women were very upset with the results and were getting explanted because of it.

Like I said in my original post I am not against a person deciding to have something done, of course I chose to do it myself after what I thought was through research and going with the odds but a PS or any doctor taking it upon themselves to decide to do something you said you in fact didn't want to begin with is wrong. The PS may think they know your reasons, and they do ask why and what you hope to achieve with the surgery they should not try and second guess you.

I have no problem with the work my PS did the first time, she gave me what I asked for and the rupture was not her fault. She did just what I wanted with the explant too. She didn't try to talk me into anything I didn't want like getting new implants. She would have put new ones in of course if that was what I wanted. She didn't think I needed a lift so that was not going to happen either. I am sure she worried that I would be unhappy with what condition my breasts would be in after the explant but she didn't go on and on and tell me I would be deformed or anything. That could have been the result but for me this PS train had to end emotionally and financially and I chose to get them and would now have to live with the damage. I don't have any clue how they would have aged had I not had the implants but I would imagine they look age appropriate now. Do I miss them? Yes, but there are way more pressing things in my life than to keep them. Sheesh I have weight to loose and with that I am bound to loose even more breast tissue.

Sorry to ramble on....