Outfit Choices that are safe & comfy for public transport
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Outfit Choices that are safe & comfy for public transport

as a person who often use public transport (train, bus) I have to wear outfits that are comfy & also safe.
    safe means non eye catching colors that will attract unwanted attention, modest & flexible.
    I am not comfortable wearing short skirts, flesh baring tops on public transport especially when traveling alone.
    Before I shop for clothes, I always ask myself " is this wearable in public transport?"
    If I can visualize wearing the outfit on public transport, then I'll make the purchase. Here are the things that I staple :
    - long cardigans
    - tunics (long & medium sleeve)
    - tights
    - leggings
    - jeggings
    - sweatshirt & hoodie

i always keep a black pashmina (shawl) in my bag & flats, a tunic & a black jegging in a pressed container. after i finish work, i change outfit if i'm wearing skirts.
    i tend to wear pants most of the time, so just put the tunic over my shirt & i'm good to go.
    what about you? lets's discuss

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After spending a week on the DC Metro on vacation this summer, I get what you're saying! I was comfortable wearing longer shorts (a couple of inches above the knee) and sleeveless tops. I was with family though, never alone, so I didn't worry about attracting attention. My main concern was the level of closeness when the subway cars were packed beyond full...I was thankful everyone around me was appropriately clothed, LOL! My big thing if I traveled that way often would be bags with no open pockets...everything zipped up and secure and carried close to the body. Overall, our Metro experience was wonderful in DC. I never once felt unsafe there, and people were really nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

photogal06
    indeed public transport can be packed and sometimes it makes us uncomfortable. I prefer to keep myself comfy with these pre planned outfits that are flexible for public transport and daily work wear

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Zippers are no deterrent to a pickpocket.

I usually took off my jewelry before I got on the train, back when I was a daily rider. Otherwise I didn't have any special clothing, just wore what I was going to wear.

The only time I ever felt threatened on public transport was when those stupid Guardian Angels showed up with their attitude, looking for a fight.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

contrary housewife
    thanks for the tip!
    if using public transport in a seedy neighborhood, i also :
    -never take out my phone in open view
    -take off my jewelry before boarding train/bus

i bring a small book to read most of the time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow...I've never really considered what I was wearing when I was on public transit!! I'm not someone who wears super short skirts or shorts and tend to wear very little jewellery (if any) but I always just wear whatever I'm wearing. I've used public transit in London, Shanghai, Istanbul, Munich, Toronto and Montreal (to name the *major* cities...) and never had any problems although admittedly, the major cities in the US generally have higher violent crime rates than the places I'm interested in seeing.

How people treat you might also depend on how you *act*...pedestrians who walk with their heads down/while talking on their phone are more likely to be attacked because they aren't aware of their surroundings and will be less able to identify an attacker. I'm not saying that someone deserves to be attacked because of how they're acting, simply that "bad guys" will pick their victims based on certain criteria and a potential target's body language/behaviour is one of those criteria.

This is a thought provoking post, Lyra!!