Anyone doing low carb?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone doing low carb?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot or has been discussed before...I'm new.

I've been eating low carb (with a few slip-ups ) for a couple of weeks now. I'm eating between 30 and 60 carbs a day. I'm still breastfeeding my dd so I don't want to go TOO low. Anyway, I've lost 6 pounds! My only issue is that this diet is EXPENSIVE! Yikes - It's a bunch of meat, berries and low carb specialties like Atkins shake mix. I keep having to buy things at the natural foods store where everything is seven times more expensive than it would be in a grocery store.

So for you low carbers...any ideas to keep the costs of this diet down?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep hearing alot about this diet. I have some friends on it and they have lost 40, 18 and 20 pounds each. I have thought about it, but I like wheat bread too much.

I hope someone is able to help you with your expense and tell you some solutions to cutting the cost.

Good luck with the weight loss.
    ~*Michelle*~

~Wife to Rick~
    ~Mother to 3~
    ~Special Education and ESL Teacher~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Low carb can get really expensive. I did low carb for a year and is now going back to it because I felt 100% better then. The first thing you need to get is a carb counter booklet. They have them in discount stores or maybe even your local library.
    I have resolved to purchase low carb drinks or bars only in extreme emergencies.
    If you are a member of a warehouse club, you might want to check them out first. Sam's here is a good source for my eggs, sausage, meats, cheese, salad and splenda.
    Nature's own has come out with low carb bread. It is pretty good, almost like regular bread.
    I also use products like diet Jello even if it is not "endorsed" because it fits my budget.
    Stay out of the health food stores as much as possible or else this will sabotage your diet. It gets very expensive. A good alternative for the Atkins shake is to find a Vitamin Discount center or the like and ask about their low carb protein shake powder. Just add water, refrigerate and you've got a nice shake. I got a huge 2 gallon one for about $ 30.00. I still have leftovers from 2 years back.

Good luck!

Keilley

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great advice - thanks! I do have a Sams club and I agree it's great for buying meat, eggs, cream, etc. I just need to start going without Dh because impulse purchases at Sams really add up and we're bad about impulse purchases when we're together. That low carb shake mix sounds like just the thing for me. I got tired of bacon & eggs for breakfast quickly. I've been making smoothies with Atkins protein shake powder, cottage cheese, frozen berries, a dash of cream and some water to thin it.

I've been making muffins, pancakes and rolls from the Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook. Vital wheat gluten is cheap and a good flour substitute, but I hope I can find a cheaper source for the more expensive things like almond meal ($7 for a tiny bag) and protein powder.

Thanks for the tips. We should exchange low carb recipes! I'm really liking this diet so far. I'm hypoglycemic and I have an awful sugar addiction that I'm trying to break. It's amazing to me when I'm able to go for several hours without eating and not be the least bit shaky or lightheaded. I used to have to eat every hour or two.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree that breakfast is the hardest to deal with . Some of the recipes out there are plain awful. For almond meal/flour, try this site. www.eatalmonds.com . Their product is the purest, freshest almond flour I have tried. It is much cheaper too. 5 lbs. for $20. I'm not sure how the S/H runs.
    I would love some low carb recipes. I'm trying to steer away from specilaty ingredients this time.

Keilley

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here are a couple of Low-carb websites to help you with recipes (among other things). I just started Atkins yesterday and have been reading everything I can get my hands on.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com
    http://forum.lowcarber.org

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have set a date, June 23rd I am going back on low carb. I followed Atkins and felt so good. I miss being on it too. Yes it was rather expensive, but there are some things that just are worth their expense, this diet is one of those. It can be done on a more frugal basis by including chicken, just haveing to substitute dark meat for light and so on.

June 23rd, I will be back on LFL!!!!!!!!