No 'Poo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No 'Poo?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default No 'Poo?

I see a thread from a few years back on the no 'poo method for hair (no shampoo).

I'm coming up on 10 years of doing this and am wondering if anyone else is a "no 'poo lifer"?

I usually use a baking soda "wash", but am down to once every 2-3 weeks on that. I do a diluted vinegar rinse once a week or 10 days in the winter, more in the summer when it's dusty/sweaty and my hair is grimy.

If I'm at a hotel, I go ahead and use the conditioner if I don't have baking soda and vinegar on me.

I also quit cutting/trimming my hair, or letting anyone else do it, in spring of 1989....immediately following what was supposed to be a 1/2 inch trim of the ends but was actually chopping a foot of length off (I'm still angry...29 years later) and cost me 20$. There has been zero negative result from not cutting or trimming my hair. I have had professonial jobs, I was a college professor and now am a government official, and a pony tail or braid or bun works as a professional hairdo whether I'm here in Idaho or presenting to offices in DC.

As an aside: How much do others spend for haircuts/shampoo etc? I have no idea how much I've saved, but I think it's alot.
    I do buy good boar bristle brushes and wooden combs but maybe 1 every 2-3 years so I don't think that is as expensive as cuts and shampoo.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm still using minimal 'poo once or twice a week. My scalp is acclimated to that and does not get overly oily or gross.
    My hair at the moment goes to the bottom of my shoulder blades, I had 8" cut off last summer. I have to have it trimmed periodically or it becomes a tangled mess. That's just the kind of hair I have. I have a fantastic hairdresser I have seen for several years now. I think it is about $40 for a cut. It is a high end salon. She does more than trim the ends, she does layers, and has thinned it in the summer, and such. Never messed it up. I still use the heavy plastic wide tooth comb I bought in high school, but I have a weakness for fancy hair clips.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have some of that WEN stuff (passed on to me free) but I haven't tried it yet. I am over 61 and if I use shampoo I HAVE to use a conditioner as well, or else the hair looks very dry. Just starting to go gray.
    I go to a woman barber at a barber shop and pay $15, $12 if she gives me a senior discount. Plus tip of course. I did have short all over but now have blunt chin length so I will only need a trim. I may see if my friend can do it. I tried my sister once and she is NOT a good hair cutter!!

ETA - didn't anyone tell that guy what a wen is before he named his products?
    Make America Kind Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There was a lawsuit against the WEN products company. https://www.glamour.com/story/wen-ha...lawsuit-update

"Customers claim that Wen's popular scented cleansing conditioners, meant to be used in lieu of shampoo, can lead to serious skin and hair problems, including bald spots, hair breakage, irritation, and scalp rashes."

There was a settlement: https://www.allure.com/story/wen-hair-loss-controversy
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yikes on the "wen" both the lawsuit and the meaning...I didn't know the meaning until I just googled it. Ick.

I have pretty sensitive skin and had hives all down my back for a couple of years before I switched to the baking soda and vinegar. Turns out I was reacting to some ingredients in shampoo. I had no idea until it cleared up within days. I also have to use really bland soaps

and it's hard to get cheaper than baking soda and vinegar unless you have a friend who passes on free shampoo! Lucky!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use honey and I do not condition my hair. I apply the honey when my hair is dry and only to my scalp. Then get under the water and gently scrub it. No more expensive shampoos/conditioners for me. I also color/trim it myself. I do have a weakness for decorative hair combs however.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm there with you shopping for hair accessories. If you got it, flaunt it.

I'm not sure what is going on lately, I've used conditioner for decades, same brands, but these days it just weighs down my hair. I've started just rinsing my hair, no product and it is working fine. I have to shampoo maybe once every 7-10 days.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd like to know where to buy honey that's cheaper than shampoo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I'd like to know where to buy honey that's cheaper than shampoo.
    I have never found honey that's cheaper than shampoo...but shampoo seems to really dry out my hair so I use honey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larabelle View Post
    ...but shampoo seems to really dry out my hair so I use honey.
    Of course it does. It's designed to. The pharmaceutical industry has spent billions of dollars and decades of time conditioning us to believe that the way our bodies naturally look and smell is somehow wrong or bad. You need shampoo for that limp hair, then you need conditioner to moisturize, and you need gel or aerosol so it can defy gravity, and then you need damage restructuring or density serum or herbal hot oil treatment to restore everything to where you started.

In ancient times people "cleaned" their hair with mud or clay. You could wash your hair with peanut butter or corn syrup, it wouldn't matter. By the time you had spent enough time getting that out, any other dirt or oil would be gone too.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So good to see this post. I also do the baking soda and acv rinse. I follow with an organic conditioner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by safiyaho View Post
    So good to see this post. I also do the baking soda and acv rinse. I follow with an organic conditioner.
    It really depends on your hair type. Mine is extra oily and I must wash it at least than twice per week or it becomes so greasy
    I've checked lots of blogs and forums, articles and magazines, have no alternatives. Either stick to my walmart shampoo or cut down the hair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chuckgreen: I thought my scalp was SUPER DRY and flaky until I committed to no-'poo for 6 weeks and then it started to change. Now, it's adjusted and fine and I rarely even use the baking soda. I do have a cousin with really oily skin and she hasn't converted to no-'poo so to each his/her own! Whatever works for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wonder if the who no shampoo methods works better on those with dry hair then those with oily hair. I gave it a try for around six weeks or so. My hair looked bad and felt bad. My hair is a light to medium brown. When I tried using shampoo alternatives, my hair got noticeably darker. It made my hair seem dirty to me. I wash my hair every other day. Sometimes I will let it go three days, but there is a noticable quality difference. It is not icky but it is kind of a bad hair day.

I am kind of a "natural type." No hairspray or products, no perms or coloring, no hairdryer or curling iron. I use a natural soap since I have sensitive skin. It works good for my skin. But I have tried the natural "shampoo bar" by I place that I got the soap from, but my hair did not look good with it.

I would like to have nicer hair but I don't want to pay for a bunch of high price salon products. I would like to be able to do this with natural products, but after a few failures I gave up and went back to normal shampoo.

I currently put a light moisturizer on my hair after I wash it. Dr. Thayer's Witch Hazel. I was starting to get dry scalp. I recently turned 51 so I think this is an age thing. But somehow I have dry scalp with hair that still trends toward oily. It seems unfair.

Maybe I should play around some more.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was thinking more about the honey instead of shampoo comment. Honey is natural moisturizer. But it is not a natural soap. So it could moisturize your hair/scalp but how would it get you hair clean?

Does you hair really feel clean from just the honey. Do you use anything else? Is there a transition period where your hair looks greasy or yucky?

I am a little skeptical I kind of feel like I want to try it as well. I have read some internet things of people saying the baking soda/ACV damaged their hair. And other people have said a natural bar soap is good for their hair, but other people say the PH is all wrong and it can mess up your hair. But honey seems like it would be pretty safe. It seems like the worst it could do was make your hair sticky.

One person online said that the key is massaging your scalp for a couple minutes. So I might try that too. At the very least, I don't think it would hurt. It sounds pretty relaxing too.

On the one hand, my hair is not currently horrible. On the other hand, it is not particularly nice either. I feel like there is potential for improvement.
    KathyB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast