Weight Loss accountability 2018
Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Weight Loss accountability 2018

I've decided to start working on losing weight since my knees have been giving me trouble lately. That and I'd rather go down a size (or more) if I'm going to spend money on new clothes, rather than going ~up~ a size. So I'm going to post here to keep myself accountable.

I do have the Lose It app on my Nook but haven't used it for some time. I haven't weighed myself for some time because I can feel that I've gained weight in how my clothes fit.

On the other hand, I've started listening to a weight loss self-hypnosis CD I picked up years ago and recently found again. I've been listening to it for the past two weeks. It starts off with listening to it for 30 days then as needed to reinforce the messages. For the most part, the self-hypnosis part is to be played as you're going to sleep but also occasionally when awake so the conscious mind is aware of the messages. It also has a subliminal message CD that can be played any time. (The self-hypnosis CD shouldn't be played while driving or where safety may be an issue.)

Since I've started listening to the CD, I"ve noticed I'm starting to not snack between meals as much. (I tend to eat when bored or stressed sometimes.) There have been a couple occasions where I've 'slipped up' but I've become aware of it and allowed myself the treats, knowing I'll get back on it. Also noticed yesterday that I was still pretty full for most of the day after having brunch (it was Sunday, the one day a week I get have brunch).

While I do need to start journal-ling my food more, I'm at least paying attention to what I eat, which is a good start. Haven't really felt like I've lost anything yet, but that's ok. I have no problem losing the weight slowly, which is probably healthier anyway. I'm sure there are quicker ways to lose weight, especially under a doctor's supervision, but at least I'm starting.

The CD is mostly to help with mindset and is only one tool I'm using. It's to keep focused on losing the weight and pay attention to the reasons ~why~ I'm stress/binge eating, and not so much as what I'm eating. I've also started using some weights for exercise and trying to eat healthier as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm back on the wagon, too. The program Husby's insurance paid for for several years has ended now. The scale that automagically transmitted my daily weight to the program and to my weight coach still works, but does not send off my weight to anyone. So now I'm texting my diet buddy with my weight every morning, to keep me accountable. So far, so good, I'm down a few pounds in the past couple weeks.

I'm doing Weight Watchers and using their app A LOT more now that the other program has ended. I've been having a whiny hissy fit since WW changed their program and lowered my daily points, but now that I pulled on my extra-big girl pants and started actually using it, I'm finding I can eat more than with the old system. I'm starting to really like that, too. Last night's supper, tandoori chicken with cabbage salad, was actually only one point because of WW's new zero points foods.

I'm using my Fitbit more to track activity and finding chores and other excuses to make myself more active. The HydroBikes are ready to go down at the lake, too.

I find I get hungry if I'm not eating enough protein at key times of the day, so I'm being more careful about that too. It helps that the new zero points foods include chicken breast, shrimp, and eggs so I can add those to dishes or snack on hard-boiled eggs.

Our doctor recommended the Mediterranean diet after Husby's heart attack, so I'm trying to find ways to include more of that style of cooking in our diet. It's helpful that a lot of WW recipes are now based on the Med diet, too, without calling it that.

I still want to lose at least another 25 pounds yet this year. I'm going to have to really work at it to make that goal since I've wasted so much time already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I need to get a Fitbit since I know I'm not getting enough exercise. One thing I've tried to do is take the stairs (at least going down) instead of just taking the elevator. I've also noticed that I tend to get cranky or overly hungry if I don't get enough protein.

I have ~a lot~ of weight to lose and I know it's going to take quite some time (years) to get anywhere near where I should be weight-wise. (Have no desire to go anorexic or bulimic to get to my goal.) I've been heavy pretty much my whole life but I don't do well with being nagged or pushed into doing things. I should look into one of the programs here at work where they offer bonuses or the like for getting healthy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On week 3 of the self-hypnosis CD (30 days are suggested in the beginning). Been pretty good about it and making sure I track doing it. This way, I don't just put it aside and don't listen to it. Part of me just wants to roll my eyes at it, though. I think the reason for that is it was created back in the 90's so there's a bit of new-agey 'love and light' aspect to it. I'm all for visualizing burning away old issues that are sabotaging my weight loss but I'm not going to drown them in love in order to do so. That's the cynic in me. I guess I'd rather have something more personalized to me.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's tough to form new habits, but it sounds like you are getting into this. I know that after 2 years of going to the gym I still think about just going back to bed every week instead of working out. I skipped last week, but tomorrow I am going to go.

A local hospital sent around an email with helpful advice. I know, everyone has advise, but some of it bears repeating. https://sportsmedicine.kansashealths...art-exercising Starting small (walking) and sticking with it were what helped me when I was at my worst.

DH, like you, needed a personalized plan. He started in a group class, but it went way too fast and was geared toward younger guys in better shape already.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link. I'm glad it included accountability (which is the whole point of this thread for me). The need to form new habits is the reason why it says to play the CD for 30 days when getting started on this and then play it again as needed.

I've done a short form of T'ai Chi on and off over the years. But right now I've started using an 8# free weight to get ~some~ exercise in.

The one good thing about the self-hyponsis CD (besides already being paid for) is that I've become aware of snacking between meals, especially if it's stress binging related. Sometimes it's a case of "it's almost lunch, I can wait". Sometimes I realized that I'm not actually hungry and the snacking is sort of a grazing instinct I need to get over.

On the other hand, when the CD gets to the 'love and forgiveness' section, I roll my eyes. It makes me want to visualize tying up the issues and punt it all into a vat of oil before torching it, rather than doing the cuddly 'you're forgiven' visualization the CD does. Sorry, I don't do fluffy bunny stuff like that. Just chuck those issues in the trash and forget about them!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried hypnosis years ago and found out I can't be hypnotized. Too bad, because I would ask to be hypnotized to love exercising.

I opted for the treadmill this morning. Pulling on pants so I would be fit for public viewing on the lake just didn't seem worth the effort.

So far today I'm tracking accurately. I had a 1.4 pound gain this AM which doesn't make sense to me but obviously I did something I shouldn't have or vice versa. Tomorrow should be better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure if I'm actually being hypnotized or not. The reason I say that is that there are points where I end up disagreeing with the CD (such as no caffeine, or the whole 'love and light' fluffy stuff). Then again, I've stopped crocheting and just lie back and listen to the CD. I have noticed that I'm sort of 'consulting' with myself - "do I feel hungry? do I really want to get a snack right now?" I"m also eating a bit healthier, especially during lunch at work. I don't allow myself to feel guilty if I do eat sweets and the like, I just get back on the wagon (so to speak).

SD, the company that did the weight loss CD also has one for enjoying exercise. These CDs are a mixed set of one self-hypnosis CD and one subliminal CD. The difference between the two is that the self-hypnosis CD has the speech part in the forefront with the music in the background and the subliminal CD has the music in the forefront and the speech part in the background. They say to listen to the self-hypnosis part while awake once in a while in order to be aware of the 'instructions'. Otherwise, it's suggested to play it while going to sleep. The subliminal one can be used at any time. Perhaps that might be useful?

Not sure why you'd have a weight gain in the morning, SD. Maybe later in the day, re-weigh yourself to see if it changes? Right now I"m more paying attention to how my clothes fit (the pants that were feeling a bit tighter seem a little looser, although not as much as I'd like).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a weight gain for misbehaving the day or two before. I thought I would lose more when I weighed today but only down .2. Oh, well. I just have to keep working the plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't pay too much attention to daily weight changes. I can go up or down 1-3 pounds for no apparent reason during the week. What's important to me is that I don't see steady increases over a period of weeks. And it's important to remember that if you are exercising, you are trading fat for muscle and may not see weight changes for a long time.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really went off the wagon the past few days. I need to cut down on the sweets, primarily, but had a lot during the days I took off. I do some exercise, more than I've done recently. So that's a good thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't worry too much about the daily fluctuations either, but if my weight starts to trend upward, I know I need to behave better.

Sweets are bad, Ren, no doubt about it. I'm sure you'll be able to get back on track. I try to limit the sweets in the house and that helps a little. I also try to keep things with low points value/calories in the house that I can eat when I really want something sweet, but things I'm able to limit so I don't get into trouble. It's hard to balance sometimes. All any of us can do is to keep trying.

I dropped a pound or two the past couple days but I don't expect it to stay gone. I didn't eat much yesterday due to vertigo. Hard to eat while feeling nauseated. So I expect a rebound gain, but I'm trying to behave to minimize the regain. I'm now below the weight I lost when I had my tooth pulled, so I'm feeling good about that. I lost seven pounds that week eating nothing but ice cream, then regained two or three, but I was careful not to gain it all back. So far, so good. I still want to lose about another 25 pounds this year. It's going to take some work to achieve that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sweets have become a habit I need to break. I've only really started the effort to lose weight a few weeks ago. One good thing I noticed yesterday was the fact that while I wanted to eat something sweet, I made myself stay out of or leave the kitchen. I wasn't hungry so eating it would've just out of boredom and it was there. I still ended up eating sweets but at least I had less than I would have. Another thing I've done is buying cereals like Special K that have a certain amount of sweetness but are less calorie bombs than the really sweet cereals like Sugar Pops or Lucky Charms. It's a step in the right direction.

That's one of the things the self-hypnosis CD stresses - not eating when you're not hungry. Granted, another thing is to stop eating sugary things. One step at a time. Getting more exercise is another thing it reinforces. So the CD's helping but having this accountability thread is good reinforcement as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found that a little treat now and then won't derail the weight loss, as long as it doesn't turn into an everyday kind of thing. And it's better to find smaller, lower calorie treats than give them up entirely. Avoid specially marketed "diet" food and just eat real food.

Exercise increases your metabolism. On the one hand it can make you really hungry, but on the other if you're eating light and healthy you'll burn fat faster. Even 15 minutes a day can have an effect.

I just got back from yoga and I'm craving chocolate covered raisins, but I think I'm going to make a sandwich instead.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only "diet" food I have is Diet Coke. For some reason, I prefer the taste of Diet Coke over regular Coke. Other sodas (root beer, Sprite/7UP) I prefer regular and can't stand the diet versions, which have some weird aftertaste. I do like Fresca but rarely get it, although it does have a bit of a strange aftertaste as well. I never got into 'diet' foods. Again, mostly due to either a weird aftertaste or texture.

Thankfully, I mostly drink water or tea. I only add half/half to my first mug of the day (which is a plain black tea). The rest are flavored teas and I don't add anything to that. (The only exception to that being when I'm sick and drinking echinacea tea. I add honey to that.)

I need to get back to my T'ai Chi but my knee was giving me problems for a few weeks. I decided to go easy on it for a bit. (My knee is the reason why I'm working on losing weight.) I did start doing some walking around the mall yesterday. I may do that early in the mornings on the weekends as well.

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast