2019 Weight Loss Accountability - Page 10
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the size of lunch makes a huge difference as to if I'm hungry in the evenings. Had a good sized salad for lunch so I'm still good. Yesterday, I didn't have as large a lunch and ended up hungry in the evening. Main reason I had salads is because I wasn't really interested in the hot dishes being served. I'm not limiting my selection of what I want to eat, although I am really starting to look at how much sodium is in what's offered at lunch. I know sodium's an issue in processed/prepared foods.

Still getting in ~30 minutes of walking each day. I know I do have to do strength training in order to build muscle and I have been lifting a small free weight. But I'm still at the point where I have to make sure I get at least the walking in and not just rely on walking to and from the parking lot like I had been previously. The 30 minutes of walking doesn't include the walk to the lot and the moving around the building that I normally do.

Then again, the first Dr. (at the annual physical check up) did say it normally takes about 30-40 days before I should see the weight really start to come off. I'm only 3 weeks/21 days in on the process.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG Ren. Strength training does not really require weights. You can do a lot w/ body weight. You can start with "wall pushups", sit-ups and squats, toe raises, etc. I relied on this book in 2010 when I decided to be serious about getting in shape and use the overall basic body workout. Building muscle is really rewarding in that you will find it makes your day-to-day life easier, housework a breeze, and so on. See if your library has it and give it a read. Very simple and straight-forward. Author Liz Neporent. I need to get back to this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Body.../dp/0345453735

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Several years ago, when I was in really bad shape after having torn up my rotator cuffs, I started taking tai chi. You wouldn't think that standing in a slightly crouched position and waving your arms gently from side to side would build muscle, but it does. Especially when you start off barely having strength to lift your arms in the first place. I was also walking to build stamina.

I moved on to yoga, where I built a lot of muscle pretty quickly. Kind of surprised myself. We don't do weights at all, just work the various muscles in standing or sitting positions. Most positions are pretty easy, it's not all headstands or legs behind your head poses. We do a lot of squats, lunges, and planks.

With free weights make sure you know what muscle you are working and that you are doing it properly. Something as simple as which way your palm is facing when you lift a hand weight determines which muscle(s) you are using and if your wrist is all over the place you are not getting the exercise you think you are.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I know you can do it!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do T'ai Chi already and need to get back into it. I seem to do it in spurts. I even have a 'soundtrack' of music to listen to while I do it. Of course, my home computer is on the fritz *again*. This time it's the sound that's not working. I have to take it back in to get it fixed. It was working fine yesterday. Sigh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a new yoga teacher for the summer. There was an error with scheduling and the previous teacher did not get put in for this time slot, though she still leads other classes. Anyway, it will be interesting. I was starting to not feel challenged enough with the routines we were doing, so mixing it up with new moves will be good. This new teacher also does pilates and she said she will bring some of that into class this summer. Maybe it will help me get losing weight again.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope things work out, CH. There's a yoga place not too far from me but I haven't gone yet (other than looking into it). The biggest problem is that there doesn't appear to be that many beginner's classes, which is what I would need. I've never taken yoga before. There is one on Saturday but I had been going to other things at the same time. I'd have to look again to see if the schedule's changed or not.

A couple people at the community garden have expressed an interest in having a yoga teacher come out at one point or another (or possibly start up a class there) but nothing's come of it so far.

Other than that, I'm still walking at lunch for 30 minutes as well as on weekends (in the morning). Right now, I sometimes feel like I have almost no stamina but I don't want to stop because I really do want to lose the weight and get off the BP meds. On the upside, I'm kinda feeling better in having smaller portions, although I did have some candy this afternoon. I've been drinking more water in the evenings when I feel a bit hungry. Again, it's more of a "oh, I'm hungry... maybe" feeling, rather than a "I'm hungry - eat now!" feeling. I think dinners in the evening have been as much habit as hunger.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today looks like it's going to be a hard day to get my walk in at lunch time. I would try walking inside the building but there's an event going on in the afternoon in the atrium (where I would be walking). I think I may end up walking at the mall this evening, if the rain doesn't lighten up by lunch time. I need to get the battery on my watch replaced and the mall where the store is often used for walking laps. It's also near the place where I get brunch on Sundays (my main food indulgence) so I can get some walking in before eating, especially in the winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Blah. I was able to get my walk in at lunch as the rain stopped. I still kinda feel like I'm dragging a bit, although I didn't sleep well last night. I went to bed later than I normally do then got woken up by some loud noise. I initially thought it was something falling in my apartment. But I think it was probably a truck going over the speed bump right outside my building. Sigh. I might also have some issues with changes in weather with the rain coming in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ren, I hope the new routine is falling into place for you. Getting past that first round of constant cravings is tough.

I am aching all over from the new yoga workout yesterday. Woke up and could immediately feel my ribs and abs. I can feel my leg muscles now, too. Yes, this new teacher is going to be a good one.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you like the new teacher, CH. I may eventually go over to the yoga place at some point. Right now, I'm doing pretty good with getting the walking in. That's one of the reasons why I make sure I walk every day. If I didn't, I know I'd find excuses to NOT walk or get other exercise in. I'm also starting to get back into T'ai Chi again. I seem to do that in spurts and need to do it more regularly. But I'm starting to feel energetic enough in the evenings to want to do that. So that's a good sign.

I think I'm getting over the initial constant cravings, like you mentioned, especially in the evenings. That's a good thing. Haven't lost weight (beyond the initial 1lb) yet but I'm not sure if that's due to still getting used to the new diet/exercise and my body's going "oh no! starvation mode!". I know muscle mass weighs more but I don't think I've gained enough muscle to account for that. I think it's more that my metabolism's getting used to the new way of things. We'll see...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Between walking at the con on Saturday and gardening on Sunday, my legs are a bit sore. I still want to get my walk in during lunch. A part of me's still concerned that I'll find more excuses if I don't get my walk in. On the other hand, I'm finding I'm getting more T'ai Chi and the small weights for arm exercises in more often these days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One less thing to stress about. I was able to switch PCP to the medical group the Dr. I've been seeing is a part of. For some reason, there was an issue getting it switched but it's fixed now. They're going to fix the charges from the previous visits since I had originally been assigned to another medical group as my PCP. I couldn't remember where my PCP was from the last time I had health insurance since it had been a long time since I had seen them.

Anyway, I did get my walk in yesterday. I just took it easy. Didn't do anything in the evening, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trying to up the amount of time I exercise a week but so far not going well. Still working on it.

You're doing awesome renmerc with getting your walks in everyday!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Rabbit. You'll get there eventually. You're doing something, at least, even if it's not where you want to be at the moment.

I've been wanting to lose weight for some time but needing to go on the BP meds was the push I needed to do it. My biggest problem in getting moving was the ease of making excuses to NOT exercise. I know that if I don't take my walks, particularly since it's warm out, chances are I won't do them when I get home. Fortunately, now that I have been doing my walks at lunch, I'm finding I have the energy to do the T'ai Chi in the evenings.

I've also cut back on the sweets, both in the evening and at work. I still want them but I no longer buy snacks at lunch as much. Mostly I get the occasional cookie when we have leftovers from lunch meetings and the like. Thankfully, the cookies and brownies tend to be the first things that go once word spreads that there's food available. My choices of food might need to be tweaked again - less carbs/breads, but at least I'm starting to eat healthier. And I don't feel as hungry in the evenings, either. I still occasionally want something but it's not the "I'm hungry - feed me!" feeling I've had in the past. I just have to make sure I don't bring home candy or ice cream when I go shopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did a pretty good job last night at the grocery store. I focused on getting healthier choices (a small container of hummus and prepped 'baby' carrots for example). I did indulge and got a candy bar but I only got the one and not the 'family' sized bag of candy. Or a pint of ice cream that I'd end up eating half of last night. This way I don't feel like I'm slighting myself.

Also stopped drinking soda. I usually stuck to 1 Diet Coke a day (usually at lunch during the week) but now I'm just drinking teas and water. I'll still have the occasional soda at a restaurant, though.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast