2019 Weight Loss Accountability - Page 7
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, funny thing is the doctor at my annual check up stated I shouldn't have oil or olives (or cheese). Probably because oils are fats and olives are salty, mostly due to needing to get my BP down. I like your suggestions, though. I'll have to look into things I like.

I have been eating one granola bar and an apple in the evenings, mostly to get over the cravings since I'm used to having dinner (and sweets) in the evening. The doctor also stated that it should be eating veggies rather than fruit. Oh well. I'm trying to cut back and I'd rather eat fruit until the peas come in.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not all fruit is created equal. Look up low-glycemic fruit. Things like strawberries and blueberries are in season now and cheap.

Olives are 5-7 calories each and 5 of them is 2.5 g of fat. As a snack, once a day, it's pretty good. Pickles are another favorite, but watch for sugar.

I'm not a fan of granola bars because they are typically high in sugar and carbs (and thus calories) but if it is helping you cut out desserts, then great.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ren, I have not checked this thread for a while. I think it is great you have seen the doctor and know what the priorities are. It will work out eventually. I was surprised a few weeks ago when my brother told me he was on BP medications. He is 6 years younger than me, but probably has a lot more stress. I think he eats OK in general. He is not overweight.

I read an article recently that we really should fast for 12 hours overnight. Give the digestive system a "rest". It makes sense to me and so my cut-off time is 7 pm now. I walk the dog at 6 am and don't get breakfast until 7 am. I do tend to also have mid-morning snack and decent lunch. I should be able to cut portions at supper as your doctor suggests.

I ALWAYS bring my own lunch, even if it just tuna & crackers or PBJ or HB eggs. Usually leftovers from supper - but if you're not cooking large supper there won't be leftovers....

Water or other melon w/ supper? I frequently have cold overnight oatmeal in a jar for morning snack, but I think it would work for supper also. Smoothies? Google "mock orange Julius" - easy to make w/ milk, OJ, ice, vanilla extract & artificial sweetener. I'll start making those again now it is hot. I also made a version w/ coconut extract, sort of like Pina Colada.

My mother's dietician (she was diabetic) said eat a variety of food groups at each meal -- they digest at different rates so you won't get hungry all at once.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like "Pure Protein" bars Choc & PB flavor. About $1/bar from Target or Amazon. 200 calories, 3G sugar (they use artificial sweetener.) I think they are pretty filling.
    There are "sweet" vegs like carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, corn. Try some of those.
    Another trick is to check the cups that came w/ your dinnerware (the ones you never use to drink coffee from.) I know filling mine to a certain level is about 1 C. So portion control and eat your dinner from that china you're not using anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering what to bring to work for lunch next week. (The cafe's going to be closed for the week.) I didn't want to keep bringing PBJ sandwiches everyday. But hard boiled eggs will work as well as some fruit and other things from the farmer's market.

I normally eat an apple because there's a local orchard so I can get local grown apples. Having strawberries from either my own garden or the farmer's market has turned me off strawberries from the regular grocery stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have found that when I eat as close to vegan/plant based as possible, I have to eat a lot just to keep from losing weight. Could you eat a vegan dinner? That way you could eat until your satisfied but not be hungry.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My doc recommends the Mediterranean diet. A lot of weight loss diets are starting to incorporate aspects of it in their programs. He also says to avoid or at least severely limit artificial sweeteners. I recomend The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook if you're interested in researching it. The American Heart Association is a good resource and they publish a lot of cookbooks. They also incorporate a lot of the Med diet elements.

Husby is 6'1" and about 175 pounds and has HBP. It was controlled until recently when it spiked up for no known reason. He's on 2 different meds now, which is working. Sometimes BP has more to do with heredity than diet, but of course diet is the element people can control.

"White" foods are the enemy, white flour, white rice, etc. Processed foods of all kinds are bad, too. All restaurant foods are high in sodium, as are most processed foods. A good rule of thumb is to avoid foods prepared by others, whether it's from a factory or a restaurant. Often the more processed a food is, the less filling it is, too.

Ask your doc to refer you to a dietician. He or she will give you pointers and lots of info about what to avoid, what daily guidelines you should work for, a lot more details than you'll get from your doc. Docs aren't usually great about detailed nutritional advice. Nutritionistsxcan tell you what not to eat, but aren't great about helping with a detailed weight loss program. You have to find one that works for you and meets all your needs. None of them are low sodium. Even the good programs like WW pretty much ignore sodium, so you have to figure that out for yourself, and it's a nightmare.

Read food labels. Don't bother with the front labels which are often intended to mislead, go right to the nutrition labels on the back.

"Natural" sugars (honey, molasses,etc) are not better for you than refined sugars, sea salt is not more healthy than regular table salt. Fruit juice is mostly sugar, not healthy,ans should be avoided in favor of eating whole fruit. Dried fruit is not a healthy food because dehydrating concentrates the sugar, so you get lots of sugar in very few pieces.

I'm more motivated lately. Husby and I have been completely off the rails, but I'm doing better making time for cooking. I've lost a couple pounds and need to work harder. He does not need to lose weight but he loves sweets and is doing better avoiding them lately. That helps both of us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One of the gym teachers at school has gotten me started with intermittent fasting. I can eat between 10 and 6, and then I fast until 10 the next day. A few teachers at school are doing it and have lost a ton of weight. I have not, but I have a feeling that's more to do with what I am eating between 10 and 6 and my lack of exercise. This week I am turning it on, full gear and will see if it works once I have really committed to it.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My doctor has given me a number for a dietician. I do have to check if the dietician is in-network (for my insurance) before I make any commitments to that. And the annual check-up doctor also suggested fasting in the evenings. So right now, I'm getting used to cutting back in the evenings. Particularly since I had the bad habit of eating a lot of sweets in the evening. I'm pretty much balancing out my diet. I think part of my problem was that I wasn't eating enough on the days I was really hungry. The ac doctor did suggest eating veggies in the evening to keep from getting hungry. I just need to find what works for me.

The Mediterranean-esque diet will likely work better for me since I like my cheese, particularly. I don't have a problem with focusing on more vegetarian choices. I just want to have the option of having cheese and some meat. I realized at one point that if I don't get protein, I'm a very cranky person.

I've been working on including walking every day. So far, so good. I'm not sure if I've really lost any actual weight so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Usually our insurance won't pay without an actual referral.

It's important to eat the right proteins, and enough of them. I found out one boiled egg is not enough and I will soon be hungry, but 2 eggs last me for hours. Getting enough fiber and fats is important, too, but the right way. If you don't eat enough fiber you will not feel full and satisfied. That's why it helps to stay away from processed foods. I've also found stuff like Fiber One bars do nothing for me. Track your food to find out what works for you. If you eat a fiber bar and then you're hungry too soon, then try an apple with a little peanut butter instead, and see if that works. If it's broke, fix it.

I concluded I hate olive oil. It always tastes rancid to me. I use other oils now, the kinds that aren't unhealthy. We're transitioning away from beef and pork for protein in favor of chicken and seafood. We eat more beans now and switched to brown rice years ago. Wild rice too, which is high in protein and conveniently cooks in the same time as brown rice.

I've never had good luck using veggies to kill cravings. For me it's a matter of willpower until I can develop better habits. The best way I've found to avoid sweets is not to buy or make them in the first place. Can't eat them if they're not here. Not easy, but neccesary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just found out there's a nutritionist service at my work that is free (likely through our HR benefits). I will eventually make an appointment with them.

I was really good last night when I went grocery shopping. I didn't pick up candy or ice cream at all. I'm like you, SD - out of sight is out of mind where sweets are concerned. Granted, there are sweets available at work but I tend to overindulge less there than at home. Fortunately, fresh fruit is either in or coming into season so indulging my sweet tooth will be easy to do with fruit than candy. And there are several vendors at the local farmer's market that sell eggs. I'd rather get them from the farmer's market than the grocery store since I don't know how long the eggs have been sitting around there. I prefer hard boiled eggs than scrambled or other ways of cooking them. Funny thing is, I generally don't like egg salad, although I do like to have a bit of mayo when I make them into sandwiches.

I've preferred brown rice for years as well, although I haven't really gotten into beans as much. And I do prefer wheat or multigrain bread over plain white bread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ren, what does your doctor want your BP at? I'm just asking because after 4 years of high blood pressure myself, my doctor has always wanted it at 120/80 or below. Six months ago I had a doctor appt. and she said I could try to lower one of my meds by 1/2. I tried this for a few months but readings were higher than 120/80 so I went back to the full mg. I went for blood work last week and got a call yesterday that my blood work was good but my dr. now wants me to stop taking that med (one of two I take) because she now says that 140/90 is okay. This seems odd to me.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure. She probably told me but I can't remember. But it was definitely quite a bit above 140/90. I have a follow-up appointment on Friday so I can ask.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did she put you on meds or are you first trying to get it down with diet and exercise?

I am one of those odd people where nothing I do seems to work except meds. I am not overweight, exercise and do not smoke. My doctor always tells me that she has no idea why I have high blood pressure. Do you monitor every day? I bet the changes that you have made already have started to make a difference in your readings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lost 20 lbs and was able to cut bp meds by half, per doctor's orders. I've regained but my bp has stayed in order. Doc wants me at or below 140/90. Doc told me every day my bp is high, it damages my cardiovascular system. It's nothing to mess with. Pro tip: Do NOT discuss politics with your doc and THEN have your bp taken! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast