2019 Weight Loss Accountability - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not a Dr but was researching this AM. I put new batteries in my BP monitor so I can start using it just to check. Like I said, my younger brother is now on BP med.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...ure-guidelines
    It also has tips for what to do BEFORE taking your BP. I had coffee this morning, then took it. Probably should cut back on coffee anyway......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's always good to take your BP monitor to your dr. office and have them check it once a year. In the beginning of the year my BP started to go higher than normal, DH took it with him to a dr. appointment and it was way off. Ours was older and I use it just about every day so we got a new one.

I was flipping through one of my books today and read this and then saw the exact same thing on the news tonight so I though I would share. Chicken breasts have as much cholesterol as red meat. Just incase your trying to watch your cholesterol.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The report wasn't that simple. I knew that's what people would take away from it though. They did not say chicken breasts had the same cholesterol as red meat. They said "chicken" and mentioned chicken fat that is not removed and eating the skin. That, and dark meat is where the most fat is in chicken, and since the fats are animal based and not plant based, it will have cholesterol. BSCB doesn't have nearly as much fat as dark meat and skin, therefore lots less cholesterol. They also said it wasn't the meat that's the problem, it's the saturated fat in meat of all kinds. What I got out of that story was there was no news there. We all know lean meats of all kinds are better for us than fatty meats. At the end of that story, I was wondering why they thought it was newsworthy.

What annoys me is nobody can make up their damn minds about eggs and cholesterol. It seems like the reports change every other week about whether they're the healthiest food on the planet or they're going to kill us all dead.

Still making lots of excuses for not getting back on track. Gotta pull on the big girl pants and get to it one of these days...

Oh, wait...

Never mind, bad turn of phrase there...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The media loves to shock us to get eyeballs on their "news" sites.

I believe the current answer on eggs is that one small egg per day is not a problem. High cholesterol is a combination of diet and genetics, so sometimes it can be controlled with diet, and sometimes you need medication. Of course, with eggs if you're not extremely careful you get more than one a day mixed in with other food, like mayonnaise, salad dressing, baked goods, fried food and ice cream.

I am thankful that with all my medical problems high cholesterol and high blood pressure are not among them.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The latest I've heard about eggs is you can eat as many as you want. Husby's dietician backed that up when we met with her before he was discharged, and our doc said the same thing. It's all very confusing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit, my Dr. put me on the BP meds with the instruction to lose weight (which I need to do anyway). I have an appointment with her this Friday to see if she needs to up the dosage or if the current dosage is doing its job. She also mentioned that even losing 15 or so pounds could possibly allow me to get off the meds. I do need to lose more than that but 20lbs is a good starting goal to reach. I'm still surprised that I'm not currently diabetic.

Yesterday I got out of work early and made sure I still got some walking done before I actually got home. If I don't make an effort during the day, I tend not to want to move once I get home and comfortable. Blargh. I seem to remember the first Dr. told me that my metabolism should change after the first month or so. So I'm hoping to get a bit more energy in the next 3-4 weeks. I just have to keep at this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On our local newscast, it was the local doctors report that claimed chicken breasts had the same amount of cholesterol as red meat. Also it stated that in The Engine Seven-Day Rescue Diet by Rip Esselstyn. Although, being a vegetarian for years, then falling off the wagon and now leaning toward being 75% plant based (I do eat meat/dairy occasionally) *I* don't believe animal fats of any kind are good for your heart health. I never get in arguments with people about this though. With all the conflicting advice, all any of us can do is the best that we can. Any study today will have changed by 3 years from now.

ren, a lot of people are able to get off BP meds with weight loss and exercise, I hope you are one of them. That would be great! I too like to workout early, that way it's out of the way and doing it after work never seemed to work for me.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw the story on national news and they didn't say chicken breast. I still can't buy it that red meat is no worse than chicken breast, although if the study included the skin and other fatty parts, I can't disagree with that. Red meat has so much more fat, it seems logical to me it would therefore have more cholesterol than BSCB though.

I quit seeing my diet doc the day he told me I could eat all the sweet potatoes I wanted, but I had to give up raw carrots due to the sugar in them. He was 100% convinced that was 100% logical. Ugh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Dad was saying something about the chicken vs. red meat story last night when I was talking to him. I'm pretty sure it was on the news he had on while we were talking.

I think I'm adjusting to little to no dinner in the evenings now. Well, it helps if I have a late lunch but I think I'm beginning to recognize when I'm actually hungry vs. eating out of habit. I'm thinking of getting some frozen fruit Popsicles for something sweet in the evenings. I'm looking at the ones that only have ~60 calories or so. It's better than the trail mix bars, which are a step down from actual candy and ice cream.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sweets are my downfall..esp cus allergies meds make me crave them more. so many things are bad and then good in the news. it is all balance. like people who say I don't eat candy or desserts..yet have sugar in coffee and tea all day. well sugar. just all what source. now in the news is that you can drink 25 cups of coffee a day before it is bad for you. who can do that !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2019 Weight Loss Accountability-61251202_2800735093286910_3595483866996932608_n.jpg

Thought this was funny!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gotta love Garfield!

People don't seem to get it how much sugar is added to foods you wouldn't think about, either. I once went cold turkey and quit sweets completely. I will eat sweets if they're around, but usually prefer savory foods. Even at that, it was difficult. After 3 weeks, it got better. I do believe sugar is physically addictive.

Avoiding sugar is difficult, but avoiding salt is next to impossible. I know it's not ideal, but I'm taking the approach of cutting back or eliminating it where it makes sense, and eating salty foods sparingly. It's a battle especially since I love salty crunchy stuff. That gets better over time though, as our taste buds adjust. A while back we ate some breakfast sausage patties that we used to eat a lot of years and years ago. We loved them then, but now they taste so greasy and salty and disgusting we couldn't believe we ever liked them. I'm happy about the good changes we've made, and I keep working on finding new ways to get good flavor without the bad ingredients. I like the experimenting, but it does get frustrating and discouraging at times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ren, ask your doc if she really means for you not to eat at all in the evening. If you're always hungry, it will be hard to sustain a healthy eating plan. Hunger leads to binges. IMO, if I'm frequently hungry, I'm doing it wrong.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, definitely not nothing at all in the evenings. Her instructions were that if I do get hungry, I should eat veggies. That's one of the reasons I was looking at the fruit popsicles.

I tend to prefer an apple in the evening or even one of the trail mix bars. I've also been picking up cucumbers for in the evenings. Once the peas and carrots come into season, I'll pick up those for snacking. It's more a case of no big dinners and especially no candy/ice cream/sweets. One of my big problems was binging on sweets in the evenings. And I don't want to cook my veggies since those tend to add additional calories or sodium.

Yeah, salts and fats are an issue. I like my cheeses. One of the things the doctor said (other than cut back on cheese) is no pickles and olives due to the high salt content due to the brines. For the most part, I tend not to add additional salt to most things but processed food does have a lot of salt already in them.

I think part of the problem is that I"m not sure if I'm actually hungry or I only *think* I'm hungry in the evenings due to snacks being readily available. I just need to make sure that healthy snacks are available if I do get really hungry in the evenings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is it the calories in the evening? I would think you could eat a tub of salad with different vegetables and maybe some beans or roasted sweet potato cubes thrown in for the same calories as a trail mix bar. That's if you like salads. For me it's all about the volume of food I can eat and eating until I'm full.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast