2019 Weight Loss Accountability - Page 9
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be careful of too many fruits in a day because of the sugar content. I try for no more than 2, I guess because I got that habit in TOPS

The problem I have with salads is the dressing. Always way too high in sodium and if I don't carefully weigh it, I will eat too much due to my lyin' eyes telling me a half gallon is only 2 T.

Speaking of scales, I highly recommend a good digital electronic food scale that weighs in pounds, oz, and grams, and will also give a tare weight so after you add an ingredient, you can reset to zero to weigh the next thing. It's soooooooo much easier to weigh most foods than measure them, and saves a ton of dirty dishes. I got mine at WM years and years ago and it's been such a good scale. I use it every day, almost.

I love cheese, too. I keep it out of sight in the fridge so I'm less likely to grab it for a snack. I'm working on switching to shredded cheese only, so it's harder to snack on, but so far that idea has been an epic fail. Still, I think it's a valid idea. Extra cheese is in the freezer, and since there's no quick way to thaw it, no impulse eating. If you allow yourself an oz of cheese per day, you could cut an 8 oz block into 8 sticks, wrap in plastic or wax paper, and store in the freezer. Get out one stick before you go to work, put it in fridge, and it would probably be thawed after work. Or just buy individually wrapped cheese sticks. Portion control is critical.

It's a lot of changes and challenges and can feel overwhelming, I know.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do like salads but I also like my salad dressing. Right now, I'm switching over to fruit rather than sandwiches, sweets and the trail mix bars (the more calorie/sugar dense foods) in the evenings. Eating 1 apple as 'dinner' is better than most of what I've been having previously. I also try and have my cheese for breakfast in order to keep from gorging on that.

I find that having a relatively large lunch makes me feel full well into the evening. Barring that, a smaller later lunch also helps. Right now, it's a case of getting use to eating healthier and earlier in the day (and little in the evening). I know I'm going slip up occasionally but that's ok, just so long as I get back on the 'wagon'. It's also the reason why I make sure I walk every day, rather than just a few times a week.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Salad dressings have a lot of fat and calories, and it seems more and more of them have a ton of sugar. DH and I went to a salad bar type place a few months ago, they had all the toppings and make it in front of you. Well, I looked it up on their web site when we got home and our lunch was in the 800-900 calorie range! Outrageous for one supposedly healthy meal.

Got this in my newsletter this morning. 11 Reasons Why You're Not Losing Belly Fat - EatingWell
    I think I need to address #5. My weekly routine hasn't seemed challenging lately.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, the first dr. I saw (at the annual checkup clinic) said no dressings. Vinegar was good but no oil. I'm like you, SD - I tend to put too much on via eyeballing the portion.

As it stands, I'm trying to change habits to where "sweets" = fruit, instead of "sweets" = cookies, candy, cakes, and other processed stuff. If I end up going for fruit, I'm more likely to reach for veggies in the long run.

I think I'm starting to feel a bit more energy, at least in the evening. I'm wanting to move around more, rather than just sitting in the chair and not really wanting to get up again. That's a good sign.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are a few things that really help me. One is weighing, measuring, and tracking. Okay, maybe that's 3, but they're related. Another is keeping busy. If your hands and mind are occupied, it's easier to avoid food. Making sure I have enough water is important, not because it's filling because I don't think it is, but because it's easy to confuse being thirsty with being hungry.

I've started drinking lemon ice water again. It's refreshing, has no calories, and tastes great. It can only help me to drink more water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do think having the right tools is critical. If you don't have a food scale, weight scale, measuring cups and spoons, etc, it's important to get them. If you can't weigh yourself or weigh or measure your food, it's like trying to drive your car with no speedometer. Not having the right tools makes every job harder. Having the right tools also has a positive effect on mental health, IMO, because it not only gives you a feeling of being in control, it gives you actual control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another thing that might help for salads, get oil in a spray can. You can spritz it on your salad greens and you will use way less than if you poured it on. I know olive oil and coconut oil come that way now.

My favorite summer drinks are iced tea and iced coffee. I've got peach tea in the fridge right now, no sugar. I make thai style iced coffee by pouring cold water into a pitcher with about 1/4- 1/2 cup coffee grounds and letting it steep over night. Filter and serve over ice.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I eat a lot of fruit, it helps me to (somewhat) stay away from sweets. I could eat a box of cookies but I could never eat a bag of oranges in one sitting! I too like salad dressings, Ranch is my all time favorite, could drink it. What I have tried in the past and (thanks for the reminder) have to get back to is flavored balsamic vinegar. Not nearly as good as ranch but better than no salad dressing. 2019 Weight Loss Accountability-img_3572.jpg
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have no idea why it's sideways!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by RABBIT View Post
    Have no idea why it's sideways!
    It wants to be poured!! Plus, this reminds me there's an oil and vinegar store near where I live I should stop in at. I've gone there a couple of times but only to browse. I think the flavored vinegars will be useful. I should see if they have the oil spritzers. If not, there's a kitchen appliance store not too far away...

Thanks for all the suggestions. They're helpful, even if I'm not at the point of implementing some of them at the moment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check Pinterest for low calorie recipes to make your own. You might be surprised what's available. You can use nonfat Greek yogurt for a creamy base and add whatever herbs you want. It's not zero calories but you can get it pretty darn low, and also mix up only what you need once you perfect your seasoning blend. Just mix up a batch of the dry seasoning and add it to taste to yogurt as needed. I've been doing that with the Italian dressing and dip mix recipe I like. I can't make a cup at a time because it doesn't get used fast enough since it isn't loaded with preservatives.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's also easy to confuse being tired with being hungry. Try to make sure you are getting enough sleep. This could also be why you feel tired in the evening? New study shows you can't "catch up" on sleep on the weekends. You really need to get a decent amount every night. My problem right now is it's getting light earlier (5:30) but I'm still going to bed at the same time - hence less sleep. Will try for 9:30 pm tonight. I have to be at dad's house earlier tomorrow anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I often catch myself eating because I'm tired. Food equals energy, right? I also eat because I have to do a task I don't want to. It's helped me a lot to be more aware.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I eat at night because I'm hungry. If we have dinner at 6 or 7pm by 11 I'm hungry. DH is still up messing around and I can't go to sleep any earlier. And if I do get to bed before 10pm, I'm awake at 3am with a growling stomach --or-- I wake up in the morning with low blood sugar and a sick stomach ache.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dlr, I usually get a decent amount of sleep and I've been actually sleeping better the last few weeks or so. I think part of it is me getting used to the new meds. I also used to have dinner in the evenings and binged on candy/ice cream so now I'm trying to get used to not having an evening meal or sweets. I do eat a little as soon as I get home but not like previously. And like you, the earlier sunrise makes me want to get up earlier as well.

At least I'm getting used to the light to no meal in the evening. It's gone from "OMG I'm hungry - must eat" to "ok, I feel a bit hungry but I'm ok". I"m hungry in the morning and during the day but that's ok. That's when I should be eating.

Had the follow-up appointment on Friday. They're redoing the thyroid blood work since I've been on the BP meds to see if I need meds for hypothyroidism (s/low thyroid). Apparently, if I can get it to where it should be, it should help with the weight loss. Still, I did lose 1lb so far. Not much but it's a start.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast