Skin care - 50+?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Skin care - 50+?

I'm curious what other/older women do for skin care - anything special? I have been a fan of Olay Complete SPF 15 for decades. Can put right around the eyes and it never stings. I've been using Night of Olay cream for night. (Just had to go buy some since I was almost out.) Both are very reasonably priced, everything else I looked at seems more expensive. I've been happy with them and people say I look younger than I am (surprised when they find out my true age.) Body lotion - I just use whatever lotion is handy and needs to be used up. My age probably shows the most on my hands - don't see how to avoid that.

I'm curious what others do, what works, what doesn't work, is a product worth the extra cost?

I'm also a convert to the L'oreal Elvive Total Repair shampoos & conditioners. I tried samples months ago - and WOW my (long) hair feels totally different than before. Got my co-worker to try and she was also impressed. It goes on sale at CVS frequently and there are coupons, so the price is reasonable if you shop the sales.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Everyone's skin is so different, I'm not sure that what works for one will work for another.

I drink a lot of water. Plain ol' filtered tap water. Nowhere near the "8 glasses", just enough to stay hydrated. I wash a couple times a day with plain water to remove airborne dirt and oil. Sometimes use a washcloth for a little exfoliation. Once in a while in the shower I use a loofah for a good scrub.

I don't use a lot of product on my skin. I'm not a big believer in magic face creams. Rarely need hand cream or moisturizer, and I'm allergic to some of it. I have both eczema and psoriasis and lotion irritates it. I can use Oil of Olay, but haven't in years. L'Occitane is my current brand, I bought some in 2014 and am still using it. It plumps up the wrinkles a little but nothing gets rid of them for good. Also, the Bath and Body Works lotions seem good.

I don't use sunscreen, never have. Have never trusted that it was safe in the long term. Now a study shows it is absorbed into the blood. They say it is safe but we just don't know. I limit my exposure to the sun and tan sensibly so I don't get burned. I'm at the point now I am brown enough I can stay out for a long period without concern. That's just my skin.

I've talked about hair before on this site. I shampoo and condition about once a week. Other nights I just rinse. My scalp has acclimated to that and doesn't get greasy. My hair is fabulous. Last time I had it cut the stylists were taking turns coming over to feel my hair because they thought it was amazingly soft, smooth and healthy. I grow it to waist length. I use cheap shampoo, and Paul Mitchell conditioner. Conditioner is key for my hair.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Olay as well. I wash with a cleanser and also use a citrus serum that clears up my face and gets the dry skin off. I also use a masque at night and whenever it feels dry.

I'm told that I look like I'm in my 20's and not a day over 30. I'm 50 right now. Soon to be a year older...…

People have asked if I'm my husband's "second wife" as they know he has older kids...Actually, they're my kids too. I gave birth to them...We went to the gym and one of DH's church friends saw us and told DH that he knew DH had 2 boys but didn't know he had a daughter too....LOL. Nope, I'm not the daughter and remain the first wife....

I recommend any facial product for mature skin. It's better than nothing and keeping it moisturized is key.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I want to add that eating and lifestyle habits DO have an effect on your skin and appearance. You know that too many late nights and not enough rest leave dark circles and puffy skin under the eyes. If you smoke or have smoked there is nothing that gets rid of the lines around your mouth and on your face. The food you eat goes throughout your body, not just the stomach and too much sugar and processed food affects your skin, too. That's not just pimples; sugar causes premature aging of the skin (and other organs) depletes collagen and makes your skin saggy.

Being sick will also do a number on your appearance. The body just doesn't have the resources to keep everything going. After my surgeries a couple years ago I looked like hell. Must have added 10-20 years to my face. I got all saggy, wrinkled, grey and puffy. It took a while to come back to looking healthy, and I am still working on it. Some of the wrinkles may be here for good, though.

I don't look like I am in my 20s, lol, but I do get mistaken for being 10yrs or more younger than I really am. I was once mistaken for my husband's daughter, and once for my stepson's girlfriend. I don't think anyone is going to do that again, though.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am 51 and really do not put much on my face. In winter I use a very light moisturizer - Thayers witch hazel. It is about $10 a bottle and a bottle lasts a long time for me. I replace the regular lid with a spray top. Really just one squirt on my face right after a shower. (Moisturizer works best right after a shower or bath.) In summer I don't use any moisturizer on my face.

I only use moisturizer when my skin feels dry. I do not use it on a regular basis as some kind of preventive treatment.

I have sensitive skin. Most commercial lotions bother my skin. I don't use sunscreen because it makes my skin itch and sometimes it makes me break out.

I also use a special natural soap. I do melt and pour soaps. You buy one pound blocks of soap. These are cut up and melted then poured into soap molds. I melt them in the microwave. It takes a few minutes to make a bar and a few days for it to set. You could also just buy the soap and cut it into bars. I find I can get a high quality natural soap for a good price that way.

I also squirt a little bit of the Thayers on my scalp right after I wash my hair. It helps with dry, itchy scalp.

I tried the whole thing with washing my hair less often and just rinsing in between. I know lots of people have gotten good results, but my hair looked awful when I did it. My normal hair color is a light to medium brown. When I tried shampooing less my hair color was noticeably darker.

I also have a young face but old looking hands. I often get mistaken for a lot younger than I am. I am starting to go gray, but it is a very slow process. I noticed my first gray hair around 8 or 10 years ago. Now I have maybe 20 grays hairs. It is not very noticeable.

I do get the dark puffy bags under the eyes. It does take away a little from the young face look. Moisturizer does not seem to help with it. They are not really dry. and not really wrinkled either. Just puffy. I have heard that it can be caused by allergies. I think that might be the case.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Adding a picture I just took.Skin care - 50+?-img_20190924_110357829_1569337649901.jpg
    A few lines starting on the forehead, but overall not much wrinkles.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've always used fragrance-free products. Lately, it's been Oil of Olay. They have a line of fragrance-free. I use little or no makeup. I always use very gentle products and only organic coconut oil for moisturizing.

I do get a facial/massage once a month from a practitioner who only uses natural, fragrance-free ingredients. My face always looks radiant when I come home. It's my treat when my monthly dividend comes in.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am working currently on coming up with things that will help the bags under the eyes.

I have only done a few days worth of things. Nothing really noticeable so far, but maybe a it takes a little while.

I am doing a facial massage I found on youtube from a series called sexy over 50. I am tossing in there some other general self massage for lymph nodes, since there seems to be a relationship between lymph nodes and bags under eyes. Well, I think it is still firmly under the alternative medicine category. On the plus hand, facial massage and other self massage feel good and is relaxing. So it is not a total loss even if it has not effect.

Has anyone else tried facial massage and/or facial exercises to help your face look better? If so, has it worked for you?

On a similar note, I am also trying to work on relaxing the muscles in my face and near my face. It is a a tricky thing, since I really can't stretch most of those muscles. Massage help, but I am also just focusing on the muscles and relaxing them. A bit like progressive muscle relaxation. I am not if this is related or not, but it is a very relaxing thing to do. I generally practice relaxing my muscles while I am lying in bed waiting to fall asleep.

I am also looking into the the idea that puffy eyes can be cause by nose/tear ducts not draining properly. This could be an allergy related thing. Since my nose generally feels mildly stuffy most of the time, this seems like a likely thing. So I might try massage around the nose/breathing exercise to try to clear the area.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The facial massage is an interesting concept. Increasing blood flow to the areas should "nourish" the skin cells more, you could also be massaging cream in at the same time. I had not thought of that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    The facial massage is an interesting concept. Increasing blood flow to the areas should "nourish" the skin cells more, you could also be massaging cream in at the same time. I had not thought of that.
    The same applies to the scalp skin where the hair grows. I would recommend doing as my wife said: perform a scalp massage every time before using any styling tools like this for example, and after washing your hair with shampoo and conditioner.