Dh is stuck at a plateau
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Dh is stuck at a plateau

Okay, here's the scoop:

2 years ago, dh decided he was tired of being overweight and began exercising and eating great. Over the course of 9 months, he lost 60 pounds and kept them off for about a year.

Then, we got pregnant and started working on the house and his exercise time was cut down severely until he just wasn't able to do it at all anymore and he wound up gaining back the weight.

Last January, he started exercising again and lost about 20 of the pounds but again, I had Patrick in February and weight loss and exercise got lost in the shuffle.

Fast forward to three weeks ago. He said he was feeling like a sausage stuffed into his clothes and he wanted to lose the weight once and for all and to maintain it forever. So, he started exercising again (he gets up at 5:00 am and rides 20 miles on the stationary bike). The first week, he lost 10 pounds. We know that was water weight. He eats a bowl of Special K for breakfast, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, carrots, and an apple for lunch, and we have a healthy dinner at home. He doesn't snack, and he drinks either water or Crystal Light lemonade for a drink.

The problem is, since the initial 10 pound drop, he hasn't lost anything else and is actually putting on a few pounds. (Oh, I should add that he plays ice hockey twice a week as well in a super-competitive league, and THAT, my friends, is exercise!)

He is totally losing confidence and wants to give up because he isn't seeing results. He has a little Excel chart on the computer where he tracks the weight loss and really is dedicated to it, but he is feeling so low about the way this is turning out that I'm afraid he's going to quit. He's a big guy by nature...6'3" and topped out at (I'm guessing, because he wouldn't let me see the scale) 260 or 265. Last time he got down to 205. I think he's back up to 260, or 250 after the 10 pound loss.

Do you guys have any thoughts on why his weight loss has crapped out on him? Any thoughts or tricks on what he can do to get his metabolism up and running again? (He's NOT getting up earlier than 5:00 am, and he really doesn't have much more time to exercise after work. Hockey is at 11:00 pm as it is.)

I'd appreciate any advice you might have because I love him so much and it makes me so sad to see him so discouraged. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i dont think he is eating enough..i have lost 92lbs and u would be supprised at what i eat..he should be eating at least 1800 cals a day..also look on line for guidence thats what i did..he also should be snacking though out the day..fresh fruit, yogert and other healthy things

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He need to keep his metabolism up by snacking on low calorie things throughout the day. It will make his body continually burn the calories instead of going into starvation mode and hanging on to every calorie that comes in. Also, he may be building muscle mass at this point which weights more than fat and that is a good thing. I did that when I was working out and then the weight started coming off again after a few weeks. Please encourage him not to give up and to go and talk to a nutritionist about how to best eat healthy for life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Debbie summed up what I was going to say! Also, maybe he needs to "shake up" his exercise routine, I know hockey is something he will do all the time, but maybe some jogging or running instead of biking all the time, maybe his body is in a rut and needs a change.

BTW, he's not alone, Mike has also gained weight, lost it and now has gained it back again. At least your dh is exercising, Mike is so discouraged he keeps on eating and eating

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep, Debbie took the words right out of my mouth, too. Everything I've read lately says that you need to keep low-calorie fuel in your body all day, otherwise it keeps every calorie because it goes into starvation mode.
    I hope you can encourage him to hang in there~ a few small adjustments might help him start seeing the results he wants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Muscle is much denser and heavier than fat...maybe his exercise is building muscle. Do his clothes fit better?