need info please
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default need info please

Anything i can get for info on Follicular Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I need to know everything, causes, treatment, survival/mortality rates, genetics (is it passed through to children etc) everything.

I am searching, but i do keep running into very technical sites done in doctor speak.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so far i have found this: Follicular lymphoma: About 22% of all lymphomas are follicular lymphomas. The term "follicular" is used because the cells tend to grow in a circular, or nodular, pattern in lymph nodes. This is a slow growing lymphoma.

Most of the time, this lymphoma occurs in many lymph node sites in the body, as well as in the bone marrow.

The average age for people with this lymphoma is about 60 [my mom is 50]. It is rare in very young people. It is not considered curable by standard treatment. But it is slow growing, and the 5-year survival rate (the percentage of people surviving at least 5 years) is around 60% to 70%. Over time, many follicular lymphomas change (transform) into a fast growing diffuse B-cell lymphoma.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Missy, read this site, it seems to be fairly straight forward: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Hod...n.27s_Lymphoma

My mum had this disease. She died about 5 years after she was diagnosed at the age of 74.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think this site is very good. http://www.apjohncancerinstitute.org...mphoma-non.htm

If you need help with it, PM me. I'll be here for another hour.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I went to the site and found out more than I had at other sites. gave the link to my mother too. The only thing I am having a particularly difficult time figuring out is wether or not is is genetic, wether or not i have a higher chance of having passed it to my kids, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi again Missy. I meant to add earlier that my mum died 12 years ago and the treatment of this disease is greatly improved since then. I hope I didn't scare you by telling you my mum died of it.

I found this on hereditary aspects of NHL:
    "There is no evidence of any hereditary association with cases of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Therefore, the families of patients with the disease are no more likely to develop the disease than other people. Also, smoking is not linked to the development of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma."

There is more on cause and risk factors here http://www.lymphoma-net.org/causes-and-factors.cfm

Take care, missy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Rhonda. No, you didn't scare me. I read that there is a 60-70% five year survival rate. Yup, it's scary, but knowing that going into this journey is better than tripping over it later. Thanks for all these great links, I appreciate it! So far the results she has gotten back are that her lymph nodes are between 7-8 and they aren't too concerned till they get to 10...i don't really know what that means, I think Mom was simplfying it for me, but i forget what she was trying to explain to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug