Does anyone here Low Carb?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does anyone here Low Carb?

Just curious to see if anyone does and if so how it is going? What kind of foods to you prepare and so one?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i did it for awhile, i lost about 25 pounds. but i also love my carbs and they won this battle!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm working on the low carb lifestyle. I know it's a great way to loose weight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to start the Atkins diet, um, I mean "way of life" on Monday. I just don't know how much willpower I will have to stay away from breads!! I bake a loaf of bread every day and rolls at least 3 times a week. Sweets are no biggie for me, I mean I like them, but I can live without them!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been doing lowcarb for the last 20 months.. It will be two years in March.. I've lost 110 pounds and still have 90 to go. Yes, significantly overweight...

I love this WOL as long as I stay away from sugar and flour.. It's kind of an all or none situation.. Once you get the sugar and flour out of your system, you don't crave it.. But one bite of it and you'll struggle to get back on plan. I had gone off plan last month and spent almost the whole month eating what I want.. I gained 15 pounds back.. But, i'm back on plan now and have lost half of it again..

What I eat.. Well, eggs, lettuce, broccolli, cauliflower, alot of chicken, cheese, turkey, I pretty much stick with the basics.. Protein, veggies & cheese...

For example, tonight i'm taking a recipe from a Paula's home cooking from Food TV.. I think that's the name. Anyways, she made home made maccaroni and cheese in the oven with eggs & cream and cheese and stuff.. I'm replacing the pasta with cauliflower and broccoli... Sounds very yummy...

If you have questions, feel free to PM me..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to low carb but am not always successful. I am diabetic and my blood sugar is always the lowest when I am low carbing. I basically eat old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast , bacon and eggs or low carb waffles . Snacks are pork rinds or nuts . Lunch might be a tuna egg or chicken salad or some sort of a wrap. Dinner is usually a meat,poultry or seafood with a green vegetable or salad. I drink diet sodas or iced tea made with Splenda. I also will buy Atkins shakes or Glucerna Shakes.

I tried mashing steamed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes and was pleased with the results. I don't cook much when I am low carbing other than cooking the basics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went grocery shopping today, the only things I purchased that I normally wouldn't have are the pork rinds. Induction really doesn't leave a huge place to pick and choose, especially when you are as picky as I am. However, I am excited about starting!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been low carb for almost four years now and I'll never go back. It wasn't just about the weight for me - I only had 20 lbs or so to lose - but my depression, acne, PMS and a whole lot of other problems disappeared. Good luck to you; hope you survive the "induction flu". I used to be a TOTAL sugar addict, and now I'm rather indifferent about sweets. If I can do it, anyone can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I want to lose weight, not loose weight as I previously wrote.

Anyone else who has been low carbing it, please share what you eat. I'm looking for some quick and easy meals, snacks, etc.... It's so awesome you've all lost weight and kept it off

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is one of my favorite recipes....Induction friendly!

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 pound pork sausage
    1 stalk celery, chopped fine
    1 tablespoon onion, chopped
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Paprika, optional

Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika.

Bake, covered with foil, at 350º for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until hot and bubbly and top is lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes.

Makes 8-12 servings

Can be frozen

Per 1/8 Recipe: 550 Calories; 40g Fat; 42g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
    Per 1/10 Recipe: 440 Calories; 32g Fat; 34g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
    Per 1/12 Recipe: 367 Calories; 27g Fat; 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's another one!

Bacon cheeseburger Quiche

1 lb hamburger
    1 small chopped onion
    4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
    3 eggs
    ½ cup mayonnaise
    ½ cup half and half
    8 oz shredded cheddar or swiss cheese
    garlic powder(optional)

Brown hamburger with onion. Mix in bacon. Press into the bottom of a deep dish pie pan.

Combine remaining ingredients in mixer bowl and whip well. Pour mixture over beef and bake 40-45 minutes until top is browned and set. Cool 15 -20 minutes before slicing.

Apparently it does not freeze well.

This makes 6 servings.

Per Serving:

Fat 39 grams
    carbs 4
    Protein 27.5
    Calories 470

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And now a good one for dessert.....LOL!!

MERINGUE SURPRISES
    2 egg whites
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/8 teaspoon salt*
    1/2 cup granular Splenda
    Beat all ingredients until fluffy, but not quite stiff. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 300 about 40 minutes, until crisp and dry.
    Makes about 15 meringues

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OH, these look good. Thanks for adding them. I'll give them a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a former fitness and health coordinator, the best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle and weight (IMHO) is to:

Be Active - this is number one. Our bodies need to move and stretch. Walking is absolutely excellent.

Eat in moderation - eat everything in moderation, eat slower and eat a bit less. Get your fruits and veggies, carbs and proteins and fats. And I cook simple, basic meals on a very tight budget. I like casseroles and chilis and soups and I LOVE dessert. By just eating in moderation and enjoying absolutely everything and not depriving myself, I have been losing that last 10 pounds of pregnancy weight. Example, The biggest thing is to eat one small piece of dessert to feel satisfied and not half of the cake!!! Another example, I love cream and sugar in my coffee. I drink two cups every morning. So, instead of 2 tsp of sugar and 2 big dollops of cream, I have one cup with 1 tsp sugar and 1 dollop of cream and the second cup with 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 dollop of cream. I still thoroughly enjoy and NEED my coffee!

Drink Water - all through the day....we need to keep ourselves hydrated.

I have read a really neat book called, "French Women Don't get Fat". The author is Mireille Guiliano. It is interesting as it talks about the culture of eating in France. And while I can't afford to eat all fresh foods like they do, I can adapt their ways of thinking to fit my lifestyle. In the book, they do not deprive themselves of anything...chocolate included!

Congratulations to all the women who have lost weight on Atkins...if it works for you, then go for it! You have to do what works for you and your lifestyle!

These are just my opinions and what works for me....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Atkins and other low carb plans do advocate everything in moderation: their position is that there is nothing "moderate" about the amount of sugar and starch we eat in modern Western culture. No other culture in history has even come close to our glycemic load. And if you're like me and you were raised with a really high amount of sugar and starch, your pancreas is half blown by the time you're 20 and you HAVE to get it under control before you get type II diabetes.

My typical menu is pretty dull. I like to cook, but I'm too lazy to do the creative stuff like quiches. Also, my SO can't tolerate meat, so anything I make that's more than 2 servings has to be freezer-friendly.

Usual breakfasts: 1/2 and avocado with some cream cheese or dressing (You're allowed 1/2 avocado even on induction); veggie omelette, maybe a piece of cheese, occasionally bacon or sausage. Truthfully, I'll eat anything for breakfast, even tuna or chicken.

Lunches and dinners: some combination of meat and veggies, usually two veggies. Crockpot cooked roast, green beans, and cauliflower. Maybe beanless chili. A bunless burger and soup. Roasted chicken and a side salad. I'm a meat-and-<strike>potatoes</strike> cauliflower girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast