Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure in Check Challenge
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure in Check Challenge

I've been noticing that I've been having an increasingly hard time keeping my blood sugar and blood pressure under control. In fact Yesterdays readings kind of scared me, blood Sugar 188 2 hours after 2 slices of pizza, and blood pressure 144/92. I decided that I needed to take better care of my health and I started a spread sheet that list my numbers, daily exercise, daily relaxation,and my medications everyday. I thought that I'd post here on my progress and I'd love some company on my journey. Pop on in and cheer me on, or come to stay and take this challenge with me. Even if you only have one of these challenges I'd love your company along this road.

Morning Blood Sugar-138
    Evening Blood Sugar-128

Very careful of starch intake today. Took Cinnamon and Fenugreek to keep bs down.

Blood Pressure-152/97 Yikes!!! I need to increase my potassium and add some relaxation.

Because of an eating disorder that I'm recovering from I can not diet, however I have completely revamped my eating and I am following a meal plan. To date I have lost 4lbs.
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 05-03-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Polly, I had no idea you were dealing with these issues. Great idea to take charge and be in control.

I need to control my blood pressure too - among a lot of other things. Do you have your own blood pressure machine? If so, what kind?

I'll be along for the ride too - don't know in what capacity - definitely to cheer you on, but also to put me in better shape.

Mahalo for starting this thread - it's important.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mauimagic,

I'm delighted that you'll be joining in, or at least popping by, it's so nice to have your company.

I have a OMRON automactic blood pressure monitor. Very easy to use, no real need for instructions even just plug it in and go. My monitor was a birthday gift from my Mother, what's better than the gift of health? I used to monitor my blood pressure by stopping by the pharmacy a few times a week, Which is very easy to do, while running errands and all. But having my own monitor is great, no excuse not to be on top of it. Now I'm being even more careful by charting on a spreadsheat. Since going to the doctor right now is out of the question I have to be my own physician. I'm pretty blessed though, how many uninsured people have their own BP monitor, and BS meter?
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 05-03-2009 at 02:55 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is a great gift for someone you love!! You have a very wise mother!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find that monitoring my blood sugar level is a great diet plan -- makes me watch what I put in my mouth (at least a little better).

My 7 day and 14 day average, as of this morning, is 108 or 109, depending on which average you look at. My morning reading is 100. I'm going to check it again around noon to see if it dips lower, cause I'm always really sleepy early sunday afternoons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry your dealing w/ these issues. I too am in a batttle of my own. I have lost 11#s and 2 bottom sizes by walking and watching what I eat better. My sugar has started to creep into the pre-diabetic zone so enough is enough.
    Last readings- BP 120/85
    Sugar 117
    I walk up and down the stairs when its rainy. I walk to garage sale after garage sale for excercise and I think the dog and I willstart walking too. I just bought "Shrink your female fat zones" by Denise Austin. Find any little thing and build on it. Good Luck. We can do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our blood pressure machine says Wal-greens by homedic and I bought it at walgreens on sale. Hubby thinks that it reads a bit high at least for him. He reads higher at home than at the docs office. I should know how it reads for me soon as I have a doc appointment Tuesday. But I tend to get "white coat syndrome" so I tend to have higher blood pressure at the docs.

My doc said to buy one any brand as long as it goes over the arm not the wrist kind. So that is what we bought.

I'm on high blood pressure medication Lisinopril with some sort of dietetic ( water pill)

My top numbers are running between 100 and 113 bottom numbers 70 to lower 80's

Doc said to let he know right away if it was less than 90 on the top and less than 60 on the bottom.

I find the information on what blood pressure should be very confusion and not in agreement often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly, I'll be your cheerleader. . .I don't have any blood sugar or blood pressure issues at this moment. My problem is my weight which led to my lack of self esteem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Oh my goodness, lots of company!!! Hello everyone, wow this is awesome....Glad to have company on this thread.

I'll be back later tonight to post my numbers.

Polly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got around to testing my blood sugar again like 5 minutes ago (4:16 pm Mtn). It was 102, not having eaten much today. Good rest for the body to have an easy day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BP-141/89
    Morning BS-137
    Evening BS-115

Again I increased my dosage of cinnamon and fenugreek. 6 capsules of cinnamon and 3 of fenugreek with each meal. Again I kept a very careful watch of starch intake, mostly proteins and vegetables. It seems to have helped. My goal is 100 or below. I also increased my pottasium intake with each meal and added Dandelion. BP came down a bit, I'll have to research more about supplments good for BP. I did not do any relaxation, I think maybe I'd better.

Natalie, 102!!! WooHoo!!!

imagine, I'd love to believe my monitor is running high. My numbers seem outragous. Maybe I'll take it with me to the pharmacy and test both monitors at the same time.

frugalwarrior 11lbs. Awesome!

mauimagic, Yeah, my Mom is wise when it comes to health. Very thankful for the BP monitor and BS meter, both from my Mom along with all the test strips, and lancets.

GaPeach, Thanks! Weight can be a very complicated issue and it most definately is a factor in self esteem, this is something I know a lot about. If things were as cut and dried as going on a diet we'd all be thin. I spent years being anorexic, at a certain point I strived for recovery and decided I would never diet again and promptly gained weight. I eventually got healthy enough in my thinking about food that I could follow a meal plan. The pounds are starting to shed. Recovery has been a long road that I still travel PM if you'd like.
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 05-04-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My blood sugar (in medical it's: B/S) was 97 before I was really all that awake (pre-shower), but at least I had my glasses on!

Somewhere I have one of those manual blood pressure setups like the nurses use, and a stethoscope, and... If I could remember where I put it all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Morning B/S 117
    Evening B/S 125

BP-135/103

Taking pottasium and dandelion, seems to have brought the BP numbers down some. Sticking with 6 cinnamon and 3 fenugreek per meal. Keeping starches to a min. but my IBS is kicking up wanting more fiber in my system I think. I'll need to get my B/S under better control before I try adding some whole grains back in. I would just love a homemade sugar-free muffin right now*sigh* But, I'd rather have my B/S down then a muffin.

Natalie, I'm not sure I'd be able to figure out how the BP monitors from the doctors office work. But, I'll bet they are far more accurate than what I have. You should see if you can find it. And 97!!! WooHoo!!! You go Girl, awesome!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

you are all awesome and inspirational - blood pressure is another area I need to tend to..... but then, they are all related and I need to keep things simple to be successful. Perhaps I'll get a blood pressure machine for DH for Fathers Day - now that would be a gift of love!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found an interesting web page. I in fact have Hawthorn in my cupboard, guess what's getting thrown into the rotation?

http://www.zona.com/blog/index.php/c...lood-pressure/

And that would be a great Father's Day gift!

Here's another link. Very well respected.

http://www.richters.com/qa-search.cgi
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 05-05-2009 at 03:34 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast