2011 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge
Page 1 of 84 12341151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2011 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge

Let's do it again in 2011!

Some will be building on successes achieved in 2010 and some will be starting fresh, but we all have a common goal of getting and keeping our weight at a level that is healthy and feels good.

And boy, do I ever have some Christmas cookies to work off....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in, although 2010 was more of a "lose a pound a month" project for me.

I got down to 135 and some change this year, and I wouldn't mind trying to get it down to 130, but I will be happy if I can maintain anything between those two numbers for the year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good to see you here, Madhen!

Losing one a month is good too...as long as the scale is heading in the right direction, I call that a victory!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in. I need to be held accountable for my actions.

If I only lost a pound a week, it will take me a full year to get within reason of where I should be, so hopefully I will do better than one a week.

Santa brought me a bicycle for Christmas, so there is no excuse for not getting aerobic activity this year (unless just pure "sorryness" takes over). Here I go.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for starting this year's thread, LB! New year...new challenges!

It's December 25th today, and I'm the highest weight I've been all year. I shouldn't have weighed myself today, but I did...and I'm kind of glad I did. "The truth will set you free." All year my goal has been to maintain between 126 and 128, and this morning I was 135.0. The number on the scale has been creeping up for the past month to a month and a half. I haven't been on the 2010 Lose-A-Pound thread as much as I should have been, and I've indulged far too much on Christmas goodies. It seems like there is always an excuse. Which means I've got to get serious to get back to where I was. No more number on the scale creeping up.

In exactly a week the new year starts. I want to be at the most 130.0 by Monday, January 3rd. Then my goal will be to lose a pound a week until I'm 125 or 126.

For any newbies that start reading this thread because they're starting the Lose-A-Pound-A-Week thread for the first time, I started my weight loss journey on January 26th of 2009. I lost a little over 30 lbs in 5 months and have been maintaining ever since. This thread has been my lifesaver when it comes to weight loss and maintenance. I feel very accountable when I post exactly what I eat and how many calories I've had in a day. It's always amazing how quickly it adds up when you're not paying attention or writing it down. I use this thread to write it down...for all to see...for my accountability.

Can't wait to see new faces on this thread! Wherever you are in your weight loss journey, we all have similar struggles. This is a great place to get support from others on the same path...to better our health. Our bodies will thank us in the end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in for sure. I want to lose about 50 pounds. Eek.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default According to Wii Fit... I need to lose

30 lbs.....to be healthy...ugh! My son who is now 15 weighed in at 197 roughly 4 months ago....He is around 5'10" and the doctor called him fat...he took it very hard...and to look at the boy you would not have called him fat just very rugged....well he decided to lose some weight...(actually becoming to self conscious about it lately). We got the kids the wii system with the wii fit with it and he weight himself the first day we got it and he now weighs 168...I am so proud of him...if he can do it then i can to...so looking forward to this thread to help keep me motivated...anyone do weight watchers points?

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome, Labontet, onencgirl and alotofgooddeals!! It's so nice to see new faces!

alogd (aka 'alotofgooddeals'), I've never done WW, but personally I know a lot of people who do or have in the past. Can't really help you in that department, but hopefully others can.

Breakfast - nothing other than a coffee with creamer (approx. 100 calories?) because we were opening presents with the kids

Morning Snack - 2-1/2 hard-boiled eggs (194 calories) with S&P and a coffee with creamer (approx. 100 calories?)

Lunch - a large green leaf salad (10 calories) with 1/4 of a cucumber (8 calories), 1/4 of a red pepper (11 calories), a can of tuna (120 calories) and 4 tbsp of calorie-wise salad dressing (120 calories) and a large glass of water

Total Calorie Intake (so far) - 663
    Total Glasses of Water (so far) - 1

I want to end the day at 6 large glasses of water. Gotta flush out my Christmas calories.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I want to end the day at 6 large glasses of water. Gotta flush out my Christmas calories.
    I may need to call the fire dept. and ask them to bring the fire hose....there's been that many Christmas calories here!

Is anyone else craving and green vegetables? I sure am...think it's a sign my body is telling me to knock off the junk!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LB, I have been craving veggies too. I was buying fresh veggies, but the guys in the house eat little of these and I was experiencing a lot of waste, so this past week I bought a lot of frozen veggies with coupons in the size that can either feed me one large portion or three small portions if the guys want some. I think that I will continue to buy frozen only. I do have some canned veggies, but really prefer frozen. Do you think that I will get a good nutrient value in the frozen and lots of good fiber too?

Gonna enjoy a cup of coffee now and let dh read his e-mails and surf the net too.

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default i was eating and eating and eating... and then

got on the wii scale and gained 2 lbs since yesterday...Yikes! So now i am just drinking water and eating carrotts cause our holiday meal is for supper...dh is making yeast rolls...so i am going to eat alot...ha ha....but tomorrow will be a new day and i will be starting my journey..Now someone said just 663 calories so far today.... I have been told that you need to eat enough food a day to actually lose weight cause if you do not your body starts to shut down and turns everything you eat into fat.. even if it is something healthy...true?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by auntie2many View Post
    LB, I have been craving veggies too. I was buying fresh veggies, but the guys in the house eat little of these and I was experiencing a lot of waste, so this past week I bought a lot of frozen veggies with coupons in the size that can either feed me one large portion or three small portions if the guys want some. I think that I will continue to buy frozen only. I do have some canned veggies, but really prefer frozen. Do you think that I will get a good nutrient value in the frozen and lots of good fiber too?

Gonna enjoy a cup of coffee now and let dh read his e-mails and surf the net too.

A2M
    I've always heard that frozen is better than canned, and fresh is better than frozen. I tend to use fresh cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower and frozen for most other things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alotofgooddeals View Post
    I have been told that you need to eat enough food a day to actually lose weight cause if you do not your body starts to shut down and turns everything you eat into fat.. even if it is something healthy...true?
    Yes, it's true. Your body will think you're trying to starve it and will try to hold on to its fat reserves....it's a survival mechanism.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by auntie2many View Post
    I'm not sure, but I'm guessing frozen veggies are healthier than canned. But eating veggies canned or frozen is far better than eating no veggies at all.

got on the wii scale and gained 2 lbs since yesterday...Yikes! So now i am just drinking water and eating carrotts cause our holiday meal is for supper...dh is making yeast rolls...so i am going to eat alot...ha ha....but tomorrow will be a new day and i will be starting my journey..
    Regardless of what you do, alogd, don't give up! Weight loss is a long and treturous journey at times. We're all here for you! And you're right...tomorrow is a new day!

Now someone said just 663 calories so far today.... I have been told that you need to eat enough food a day to actually lose weight cause if you do not your body starts to shut down and turns everything you eat into fat.. even if it is something healthy...true?
    If you're not eating enough, your body will most likely go into a "storage" mode. This is basically because the moment your body thinks it's not getting enough food, it will horde all the calories and hold onto the fat since it thinks its going into starvation mode. Your body will also slow down your metabolism because it thinks a "fasting state" may be close and it will want to preserve as much energy as possible. This is done through holding tight onto the fat stores and not releasing them.

The key is to increase your calories with highly nutrient dense food to fuel your body! I used this link to figure out how many calories I should consume (based on my current weight, goal weight, gender, age, height, activity level and goal date). Calculate Calories Needed for Goal Weight

As per the website..."Experts recommend weight loss at the rate of 0.5-2 lbs/week. Remember that this estimate is based on your body weight, height, age, gender, and activity level. It may vary slightly depending on other factors.

Generally, women should not consume any less than 1,200 calories per day, and men should not consume less than 1,500 calories per day."

Personally, I should consume 1,200 calories per day to get to my desired weight by February 4th. I gained 2 to 3 lbs since yesterday morning (because of overeating and not counting my calories yesterday), so those pounds are mostly water retention and food just sitting in my intestines. I know if I have 1,200 to 1,400 calories over the next couple of days I should lose those few pounds that I gained.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in also, this year has fluctuated a lot for me. I initially lost 25 lbs, but then gained 10 of them back . We had our big meal yesterday so I should be able to concentrate now on getting back on track.

I still have about 30 - 35 lbs. I want to lose, I also have a goal of including more fruits and vegies into my diet.

A2M - frozen vegies are as healthy as fresh, maybe even more so depending on how long it has been since the fresh were picked. They start losing nutrients as soon as they are picked.

Page 1 of 84 12341151 ... LastLast