50 days left in 2015 - Do you have a goal you want to meet by the end of the year?
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 50 days left in 2015 - Do you have a goal you want to meet by the end of the year?

I realized today that as of tomorrow, there are 50 days left to 2015. This gives me 50 days to work on a couple of my 20 wishes goals for this year.
    My goals for the next 50 days are to:
    1) detox from caffeine, concentrated sweets, and artificial sweeteners
    2) drink more water - 8 glasses/day
    3)lower my blood cholesterol - by eating healthier - more oatmeal, fruit, vegies, nuts, fish, olive oil, flax seed, etc.

Hoping to develop some healthier habits before the New Year. I really would like to see what my body feels like in a healthier state. I just don't have the energy levels I used to. Work is getting more stressful both mentally and physically. I'm not sleeping as well. My body aches.

Any one else have a goal they want to work on before 2015 comes to an end?
    The countdown begins tomorrow, but join me anytime!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today is my day off for the week and I have been doing some research on the pros and cons of eating whole eggs. I grew up on a farm, we raised chickens, collected the eggs each day, and mom made us delicious breakfasts and baked goods from them. The egg yolk has been given a bad rap due to the cholesterol levels in it. Research has shown that the adverse affect on 'bad' cholesterol is outweighed by the beneficial effects of 'good' cholesterol. (Some studies I read however say this may not hold true for diabetics)
    Here is a list of health benefits I researched for eating whole eggs- Limiting self to one whole egg a day.
    * low calorie food, 70 calories for a large egg. Studies shown it satisfies hunger longer than other choices, like carbs. Good for weight control.
    * high in protein , and contains all 9 essential amino acids.
    * yolks contain lutein an antioxidant that may reduce risk of age related macular degeneration and cataracts.
    *Excellent source of:
    -selenium antioxidant that fights cell damage caused by free radicals , reducing cancer risk and improving thyroid function
    -Vitamin A which boosts immune system
    -Vitamin B-12 helps turn carbs into ENERGY
    -Vitamin D for stronger bones and teeth
    -Omega 3's to reduce risk of heart disease
    -choline to help brain and nerve development and possibly improve memory
    -tryptophan which converts to serotonin which boosts mood and melatonin which benefits sleep.
    Of course one will need to watch intake of other foods which are made with the egg and avoid unhealthy ones. It is usually not the egg at breakfast that is the 'bad food' but the bacon,sausage,or ham, and the carbs served with it. Also how you prepare the eggs, my mom always fried them with the left over bacon grease---NOT good.
    So for breakfast I had one whole egg and a scoop of my vitamin enriched powder with a full glass of water. A slice of 12 grain bread toasted with a small amount of the raspberry jam given to me by a friend.
    No diet coke or other soda since yesterday a.m.--dull headache-- plan to limit myself to one 12 oz can if needed midday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I need to lose a few pounds, about 5. Also I haven't been drinking enough water. And our church is being challenged to read Scripture every day until it is a daily habit. So those are my three.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

keep my weight from rising and possibly lose a bit
    Just survive all the stress right now w/ grace
    Have Dh find a job so he isnt so grouchy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to get in the habit of daily exercise, lose weight, at least not put any more on and quit going after sugar, keep my blood sugar down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have not and will not have any soda today, very surprised. I am very dry mouthed however. Been drinking water on and off all day, maybe 32 oz. More with supper. I must be very dehydrated, it just isn't quenching my thirst like the diet coke did. Miss that ice cold tingling sensation.

Doing well with nutritional intake. Had an orange and a banana for lunch during a road trip, skipped the usual snack foods and soda. For supper having salmon topped with a handful of crushed spicy nacho doritos. I know the doritos are not healthy, but it's better than sitting on the couch watching a movie with them on my lap! And I can't throw them away because that would not be frugal

More food facts I found when researching my food choices today:
    Orange- Eating a whole orange better than orange juice for many reasons. Most surprising to me is that a very important nutrient called herperidin is located in the peel and white pulp of the orange. This nutrient has been shown to lower high blood pressure as well as cholesterol blood levels. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties which can decrease the risk of inflammatory diseases such as asthma and arthritis. The Vitamin C in it boosts immune system. It is low in calories, high in fiber.
    Banana- Learned for the most antioxidant properties bananas should be eaten fully ripened. They contain a sterol which can block the absorption of dietary cholesterol to help stabilize blood levels. They also are broken down in the lower intestine which helps maintain a heathy balance of gut friendly bacteria.
    Do not put an unripened banana in the fridge because they can't ripen in cold temps. Once ripened they can be put in the fridge for a few days, the outside will turn brown but the inside will stay fresher.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kim have you tried seltzer water for that cold tingling mouth feel? It is just carbonated water. If I want some flavor I add a cap full of lime juice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Kim have you tried seltzer water for that cold tingling mouth feel? It is just carbonated water. If I want some flavor I add a cap full of lime juice.
    No I haven't but I'll give it a try, thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Doing well today, no pop. Drinking water throughout the day. Still feel thirsty all the time. Forgot to pick up some seltzer water.
    For breakfast I had oatmeal with added ground flax seed and cinnamon
    Lunch yogurt and a banana.
    Supper chicken breast with butternut squash.
    Probably some popcorn later with a movie.
    Doing more research on my food choices, maybe it will develop a habit in me to choose healthier choices if I know the health benefits.

Flax seed: A few things I learned. It contains fiber which helps you feel fuller when taken with meal and can aid as laxative. It contains lecithin which breaks up the fat left by food in your intestines, thus preventing it from becoming body fat. It is a very strong antioxidant. It helps lower bad cholesterol. Also helps body absorb calcium.

Cinnamon: Contains compounds that help cells in the body use glucose better thus helping to control blood sugar. Helps thin blood to keep it flowing in your system and possibly prevent clotting. (Be careful if already on blood thinners) Use in moderation. Has anti-inflammatory properties that can help protect the cardiovascular system from damage and help problems like arthritis.

Butter nut squash- 1 serving provides you with over 400 % of vitamin A and 50% of Vitamin C daily recommendations! Now that is a superfood. And since a deficiency of vitamin A can cause night blindness, I'm going to eat more of it, I already have poor night vision. Also because of its hard shell it can be stored for months, sounds like a frugal food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow , diet coke detox hit my body in them middle of the night. Caffeine and everything else artificial in it must be purging my body. I have the same awful headache I get every time I try this. I could have gotten up and had a large glass of diet coke but instead I took a Tylenol and a large glass of water. Within a half an hour I was able to fall asleep. The pain is duller now. Off to work I go.

For breakfast I am eating peanut butter and a mozzarella stick on a slice of whole grain bread sandwich. With a tall glass of water and vitamins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Worked 12.5 hour shift as we had a sick call. Coworker stopped at pop machine in the way in and wanted to treat me with a diet coke. She did not know I'm trying to cut it out of my daily diet. I had less than 1/2 the can. Enjoyed it , but threw the rest away. I'm done with the stupid addiction to it. Needed to take pain meds for my headache earlier in the day. Now pain free.
    For lunch I brought yogurt, an orange and left over butternut squash.
    For supper hubby bought me 6 inch whole wheat /chicken breast sandwich. Tomato, red onion, banana peppers, with vinegar and olive oil. Drank water throughout the day. Had a Cortland apple when I got home. Yum.
    3rd of 50 days of healthier diet complete. Except for headaches I think I am thinking clearer than I was. I want to be a good role model for my grandson as he grows and spends time with us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

46 days left until New Year.
    Doing well with the healthier diet and detox of caffeine, artificial sweeteners and concentrated sweets.
    For breakfast had a whole wheat sandwich with peanut butter , honey, and sprinkled with sunflower kernels. It was very good with the extra crunch.
    For lunch/snack brought mozzarella stick, apple, yogurt, banana and dietary gave me a bowl of diced beets.
    Not very hungry tonight, just sautéed some zucchini in olive oil and Italian herb bread crumbs. Crushed a few spicy doritos on top for pazazz.
    No soda and I'm not a coffee drinker. Realized that the vitamin and amino acid supplement powder I use in my water in the morning has 120 mg of caffeine. less than what I was getting with all the soda without all the artificial ingredients. I'm going to stick with it for now as long as I have it and decide when I run out what I want to do. If I eat healthy I shouldn't need it.
    Some of tonights research:
    sunflower kernels: Wow, what a powerhouse of health benefits from these tiny seeds. Natural antioxidant properties as well as containing oleic acid which helps decrease bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. It has many vitamins contained it, it is a great source of B complex vitamins. Niacin in particular helps decrease bad cholesterol. I'll be adding these more often to salads, etc.

Zucchini: low calorie, no cholesterol in it and the peel is high in fiber which helps prevent colon cancer.
    Pure Honey: benefit list was very long for this natural sweetener. Antimicrobial properties-swallow a spoonful for sore throat or make a gargle with it. Instant energy booster and known to reduce muscle fatigue in athletes who ingest it before performance. I think I will try mixing cinnamon with honey to spread on my toast or just add to my oatmeal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

45 days to meet your 2015 Goals!
    I love pancakes. To make them healthier for us today I added some of the ingredients I have researched this week. Added cinnamon, sunflower kernels, ground flax seed.Also some almond flavoring.Topped it with real maple syrup. Because of the cost of maple syrup I usually cheat and just add some to cheaper pancake syrups. Now that the kids are gone and I don't have to worry about a plate full of wasted syrup left on the plate, I am going to use the real stuff as a treat. Didn't need much with the already great tasting pancake.
    Researched pure maple syrup: 54 antioxidants in this natural sweetener!! I can feel the free radicals purging my body as I write!
    Bringing some healthy snacks to daughters today. My first full day caring for my grandson today, as my daughter heads back to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Left to my daughters I a hurry this a.m. and forgot my vitamin drink and my healthy food to bring along.
    Had some corn, sautéed diced potatoes for lunch. Hand full of pretzel sticks nibbled on throughout the day. And a small helping of chicken hotdish I made in her slow cooker for supper. Also treated myself to McD's ice cream cone on the way home. Need to drink more water tonight.

I'm building a healthier mindset which is what this challenge if about for me. I want to think about what I am putting in my body. If I am ingesting junk food/drinks (AKA diet coke) that my body does not need or worse is causing harm to my body over time it is not frugal in many ways. One is the cost of the food/soda, two is the cost to my health and possibly loss of work and health care bills, three when I shop for junk food/soda I am tempted to buy other things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

44 days to meet your 2015 goals!
    No diet coke today, drinking water when thirsty. Keeping ice water on my cart which helps. Probably not meeting my 8 glass goal but way better than the zero water I drank in past.
    2 eggs for breakfast
    apple, orange, banana, yogurt for snacks and lunch.
    Healthy pancakes for supper - dh wanted them again today. Finished left over zucchini.
    Had appointment today and they noticed I had weight loss in past 5 weeks. I think 5 # lost in the past week.
    I think I was hungrier when drinking diet coke.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast