2016 Self Image Challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2016 Self Image Challenge

To quote Deb Cat, "Good morning and Happy New Years my friends!!! Time to start a new thread. Like dean said; "new year, new thread, fresh start!" LOVE IT!

Today is the first day of a 365 day book that you will write. Make sure it is a good one.

Everyone welcome....so don't be shy! We are hear to support you, cheer you on, hear your complaints, and put our own problems out there. Spread the love and join us!

Welcome 2014.....bring it on!".
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

New start
    working my behind off in the pantry and have done several shelves,purged lots of iffy dates,reorganized much,got a lot of stuff off the floor and am moving things bit by bit from the MIL apt overflow back where it belongs.

In the coming days i will do the small kitchen pantry too but for now my goal is by the end of Feb. latest and hopefully end onf Jan, which is super ambitious.

Hope everone is recovering from Christmas and is picking thier New year projects.
    Mon. is several calls to wind up pet care and me care for the year.
    f

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I, too, am busting butt to build stockpile back up, use some more older and restock. Mine needs rearranged too but don't know how I'm going to do that yet. I want it built up a lot more than it is in order to be able to do the goal below.

I've also been racking my brain how to pay off Bank of Hell by the end of 2016. I have a gut feeling we're going to have more trouble with them either by then or before. We've already had two rounds and the bankruptcy has only been over since end of April. Trouble started in May. There's not that much owed till payoff... about $13,400?? I've figured it up and I THINK there's $5,000 a year goes to principle or thereabouts so I'd need to pull about $8,000 out of my a$$ somehow. But I think it can be done or if not then shortly after the first of 2017. That's if nothing happens a in Murphy hits or Hell bank starts in again before then. I'll definitely have new lessons in robbing Peter to pay Paul especially since my income was short about $10,000 in 2015 as compared to the year before....bad as 2014 was.

With his health going up and down I want it paid off so if he can't do this anymore it can be put up for sale with little pay out until it sells. OR if something happens TO him I can put it up for sale cause otherwise I'd have to let it go... let them have it cause I couldn't make the payment on it.

I would like to start Ebaying again to help with the pay off. I've put it off and put off cause of all the changes they've made.

Last thing is get a grip on this house / trailer. Declutter some and make more room. Get stuff put where it belongs.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope to make this year a calmer, more relaxed year. Without getting so obsessive about it that it actually starts to get stressful.

I have medical issues that seems to get worse when I am stressed

OR

Medical issues that are entirely caused by stress

OR

A bunch of symptoms that are all in my head

I suffer from "we can't find anything wrong with her." I.e., all the things they test me for come back negative.

It looks suspiciously like rheumatoid arthritis. All over achiness and low energy. Pain/achiness varies from very mild to really intense. Energy level is literally all over the place, but low energy seems to correlate with increased pain. Of course that could be lots of different things. I think doctors do not suggest it because of my age. Symptoms started when I was in my 30s. And when I was in my 30s, people told me I looked like I was in my 20s. I am in my 40s now, but have not gone fishing for a diagnosis for a while.

The doctors have not been entirely unsympathetic. In some of my bad periods I have been give prescription pain meds and anti-depressants. But I really do not want to be on those again. Especially for something that is only bad part of the time.

I hope I am not coming off as too much of a Debbie Downer. I do not usually talk about it this much.

Well anyway the point is that I am going to be focusing on calming and distressing things this year. My husband is having surgery in January, so not off to a good start there.

I am focusing a lot on some alternative healing. I do not like the side effects of some of the medications I have been on. And my experiences with doctors have not generally been positive.

Right now I exploring acupressure/reflexology. Even if they do not work as advertised, they are still enjoyable and relaxing. And they do not seem to have bad side effects. I bought a foot massager with an Amazon gift card I got for the holidays. (It is currently in the mail.) I also ordered a foot roller ball and some books. I am not really into other people touching me (besides my husband) so I am looking into versions I can do myself. Doing it myself is empowering. I can do it however often I want. And the cost is much less than going in for sessions.

So I will be writing a bit about acupressure, reflexology, etc. unless I decide it is not working for me.

I also have a few other things in mind I will write on as I go.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Niko-so understood. Dh has medical issues and apparently just popped up w/ more he hasnt seen fit to tell me about as the hosp. just called regarding his eye?? Our bank acct. is already suffering w/ no real job for 4 mo. and a paycheck that should be here yesterday but we had an ice storm.
    I slept in today to rest up and am now at the pantry again. I am still catching up from mess Ds made when he trashed it in 2012. I am finally in the farthest corner. It is painfully clear it all mine to deal w/. So by the end of Jan. I want real progress.

Welcome Kathy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Niko-so understood. Dh has medical issues and apparently just popped up w/ more he hasnt seen fit to tell me about as the hosp. just called regarding his eye??

Welcome Kathy.
    You didn't know about the eye?

Challenges
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am seeing a bit of a common theme. Maybe we should say that people are welcome to join even if no one in their family has health issues. I try not to think about my husband's healthy too much. He has a lot of issues, but he is still pretty functional. He can work at an office job and do chores at home, he just can't do anything too physically demanding. I know there is an early retirement in our future because of my husband's health, but I am okay with that. I would rather retire early with less money than work longer to max out my retirement benefits. I honestly think staying home caring for him would be more enjoyable than work. I really enjoy home activities - crafts, reading, playing games - more than going out.

And now to switch topics a little.

Ginger tea. I have heard good things about ginger. It is supposed to be good for your digestion, good your sinuses, good for RA. I am planning on order some on Amazon tonight. I like herbal tea and drink a lot of it anyway. I think the ginger is worth a try. Even if it does not work, it will probably still be a tasty tea.

My philosophy in general is "do no harm." I am trying out things that may or may not work. One of my criteria is things that are very unlikely to have bad side effects. Another criteria is taste. Foods and spices that taste good - yes. Foods and spices that taste yucky - no. Things that are fun or feel good - yes. Things that are physically or emotionally painful - no. So massage is a yes, but trigger point therapy is a no.

Another criteria has to do with time. I work full time with a long commute. So I am looking for things that are quick or I can do while I do other things. For example, I think I will be able to do my foot roller while I am reading or at the computer or watching TV. No matter how awesomely good something is for me, if I have to do in 90 minutes every day, it is not going to happen. I may occasionally do some longer things for my health, but only if it is not something I need to sustain every day.

I suppose another criteria is not to [censored] expensive. I might make a few exceptions here and there. I have some performance bonus money from work. I am thinking of splurging on a biofeedback game machine.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My goal for this new year is to take better care of me (I've been raising kids for 28 years, love every single minute of it but it's time to take care of me now!) and simplify our home! I want to be more organized and better prepared for anything that could/might happen!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome calimomx2. It is good to have another person here.

I got my little foot roller ball yesterday. I have been using it on my feet today and also on my hands. For my hands I put it on the table and roll over it with one hand. It works pretty good. I was able to do it at work while I read work related stuff on the computer. For feet it was a little more awkward. I have a standing desk at work. (This was my choice. I get stiff when I sit all day.) So that means I am shifting my weight to one foot, since I am not putting my full weight down on the ball. I think I will get used to it. I used the ball on my feet sitting down a little last night. I think that works better.

I think I feel a little better. I am not really going for instant improvement. I am thinking more on the lines of something like 1% better each day. I think of it like exercise. If you exercise only once or twice, you do not get that much benefit from it. You need to do it several times a week for a few months before you start seeing improvements.

I ordered the ginger tea, so I should be getting that in a few days.

I am thinking right now in terms of movement. It is good to move your body through a full range of motion - or as close as you can get to a full range of motion. Often we move our bodies a lot, but not through the full range. We tend to move our legs back and forth, but not side to side. Yoga and stretching are two ways to do this. There are also several other systems out there for it. I could select a routine designed to move my body through all its paces. Or I could just move back and forth semi-randomly. Some types of dance do a good job of moving your body through all its paces. I am experimenting with a few different things to see what feels best.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy New year everyone!!!
    It has been a LONG time.....I am glad to see you all are still going strong
    2015 was crazy, but some amazing things happened. I opened up my studio in town and I have really been very busy helping people feel better! I am hoping I have a busy year work wise in 2016 as well. We were able to keep paying down the mortgage, Home Depot, and my husband's hospital bills. There was a LOT of family crap, especially with the ex-wife, but due to her bad parenting and the stepkids acting badly, we are not paying for the youngest one's school (actually partying, there is not studying going on), and child support is over for both. This will give us a lot of breathing room, lot of saving up for DH's retirement funds, and not having to scrimp and save ALL the time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey Citrine!!
    I can tell this year is going to be so busy for awhile at least.
    Hope your studio tends to be busy and you can dump the debt. Most of us are hanging at To DO for the most part. Join us??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Learn more
    Write more
    Draw more
    Move more
    Craft more

Not quite a to do list, but more of a philosophy of life list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I have been reading things on goals. I have also been watching a series of training videos that sometimes talk about goals. I have been doing a bit of thinking. Not just about what my goals are. It is about what type of goals to have. It is about the best ways to accomplish goals.

There are several threads where we talk about our goals. There is the 20 wishes and the to do challenge for a wide variety of goals. And really all the challenges on the board. At least the ones that stay on topic.

But I thought I would use this space here to talk about goals in a bigger way. Because when you look at the bigger picture, self-image really is a huge part of it. And because I like writing about stuff life this. And because writing about things you are learning helps you learn it better. I will probably ramble on a little in additional posts.

For example:

Am I a fitness warrior pursuing the path to health and fitness?
    Or
    Am I an overweight, out of shape lady struggling to maybe get in a little better shape?

Attitude matters. Self-image matters.

One of the more interesting things I have come across is the Level Up Your Life book. It is based on the types of games where you have a character that levels up through game play. If you are not familiar with those types of games, this may not make a lot of sense to you. I will try to explain anyway.

A level one fighter or a level one wizard is kind of a pathetic thing. Your abilities and attack power are pretty low. It is a real challenge to take on even the weakest monsters of the game. With enough game play, your character becomes pretty good. Eventually, your character will be amazing and able to do super awesome epic stuff.

And real life works that way to. Or it can work that way. I can pick any skill that I have little or no talent in currently. So I am a level one. This acknowledges that I am not so good at this – yet. Even the simplest challenge is hard for me – at least currently. Yet it also contains the truth that I have the potential to be awesome at this. With enough completed challenges and quests, I can increase my level.

There will probably be no literal monsters to fight, but I can design my own quests. For example, to level up as an artist, painting a cherry tree could be a quest.

But biggest change in attitude is making it fun. It is the idea that making goals and moving toward them is fun. Most goal setting training geared toward the workplace does not make it look very fun. The whole process can seem like a boring grind.

Compare these two philosophies:

Standard: With planning and hard work, you can achieve your goals.

Level Up Your Life: Your life can be an awesome epic adventure. And you get to choose what you want for an awesome epic adventure. It could be climbing mountains and hiking through jungles. But it could also be something like recreating the wonders of ancient Rome in cake or making life sized stuffed animals from concert t shirts.

Dream big. Dream awesome.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2014/15 were not good for me. I feel like I lost my whole life. It's taken forever to get diagnosed and treated, I'm still not done with neurological stuff. My DD, when I was at my sickest and my mom has an end stage disease (the reason we bought a home together was so I could take care of her more easily, then I got sick), she just couldn't cope with it and went to live with her dad. That broke my heart and I think broke me, that was the last straw, all of me was gone, career, independence, my child who was so close to me now is thinly veiled angry at me because life here is not "normal". I lost 30 lbs in a month only to regain 60. I feel disgusting and I think she is embarrassed by me. I've had depression for years and all of this has plunged me into a pretty bad one. I'm embarrassed to see my friends and old co-workers because I have forgotten so much and it's very obvious. I have pushed everyone away except my dog and oddly my dad. He has to drive me everywhere, he's not exactly a mushy gushy guy, we've gotten close but I am a burden.

somehow I plan to make this year better. I just had an energy burst and cleared out almost all the too small clothes. I'm eating better. My neurologist just up and quit so I'm starting over, I'm going to be more assertive. I want to be able to remember the streets of my town and drive again. I want to be allowed to start walking my dogs. I want to dwell in the good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bernice-sorry hon. Nothing I can say but that.

In a bad mood today. Just overdone. Hurrying to get everything ready for Dh's surgery on Mon. cancelled 2x and hopefully now Mon. He is presently unemployed until he knows what will come of surgery. My Ds has me on silent for some reason. If I pm him he isnt answering back. Just that damn stoopid checkmark that he saw it. I told the rescue I have to take a break for a few weeks and that I would call her. So I am already dumped off the newsletter chain. Wow,that took 3 sec. Guess I know my value.
    I know everyone goes through it. Not a princess and never have expected to be. But enough? Getting a bit cranky here. I had to laugh the ins. ok'ed a 1 day stay. They really do have some nerve.
    OK I'm done. Self image-wavering. overtired. cranky. and a little over the way things are going lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast