2020 Health, fitness, and self-improvement challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think everyone is different when it comes to free time and depends on the season too. Lots of shows give us pleasure or education. or bonding. same w crafts or hobbies, types of exercise. I think it depends if there is no balance in your life or no things that give you pleasure. plus for lots of people who can't get out or lonely have tv and internet. though not in that catagory yet .. have made lots friends online. like old time pen pals. I like seeing what people are doing on fb just because lots of times we don't see each other or live in diff places and talking on messenger.

I agree mental health is important. Finally I hope the stress and strain from the last few years is gone.. thought it was but then reared up on new years eve. because I am depleted and need to recharge my emotional health it was nonstop before. yes exercise, eating right helps too. but at the moment get it from work enough, can't be bothered to make myself eat or cook for myself much others or buying food ok. but pushed though to get new job, learn new things for other job. still volunteer etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel like it is all a balance. I watch some tv, but I do lots of other things as well.

And even passive things are not always mindless.

I tend to think a bit about shows I am watching and books I am reading. I often discuss them with my husband as well. And shows with long running plots as well as books series require some memory as well. Who are all these characters again? What are their relationships to each other? What unresolved plot lines are there?

Some of my app games I have played are truly mindless, but I find even the easy board games I play need some thinking for strategy.

Although crafting is thought of as active, rather than passive, it often requires less thinking. This applies to things that are very repetitive in nature. They can often have a meditative effect that is very calming.

I enjoy learning new things. However, sometimes I really do not feel up to it. It can be a bit frustrating. I wonder if I would feel better in the long run if I tried to learn new things even when I did not feel up to it. This would be similar in process to how pushing yourself to exercise when you do not feel up to it can help you feel better in the long run. Although this can sometimes backfire and leave you with even less energy.

There are also two different types of learning. The first is learning a new skill. This generally means that there are a lot of early attempts that are failures or not good quality. This can be stressful. The other type is simply taking in information and understanding the information. There can be failures in the sense of not remembering or not understanding. But generally speaking I find this to be not as stressful, unless there is a big test on it.

When I read an article in National Geographic or Scientific America, I feel as though I have learned something. Even though I may not remember anything about it in a month. So I have not really learned anything. But at least I felt smart for a little bit.

I think I might play around a little with the second type of learning. I have also studied about how to study. So those are skills to practice as well. Note taking, mind mapping, sketch noting, spaced repetition, self-testing, etc.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I call the second type of learning you talk about "assimilation". And I think by practicing it you can become better/more adept at it. When I become fascinated by a topic (dogs, gardening, sewing) I start reading randomly about the topic, and the more knowledge you accumulate (even if it seems random) eventually starts to inter-connect. You know you really understand something if you can explain it to someone else coherently. All those bits and pieces now make sense as they relate to each other. For one weird example, about a month ago I was watching horse-training videos. Not because I have a horse, but because I am interested in dogs. But I could readily see that the methods being applied to the horse training also can be applied to dogs with problems. One video addressed horses who "spook" easily and something the trainer called "the bravery game" that she went through with the horse and owner. Easily adaptable to dogs but I have not seen a video for dog training that explained it as clearly as the horse video. Hubby is going "why are you watching horse training videos?" ...... because I know how to assimilate: take in and inter-relate.

Exercise program starts TODAY. Goals are strength and flexibility, I had a variety of exercises I used to do already. Aerobic exercise is all the dog walking, need to speed it up a bit and lengthen the distance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right now I am in the process of finishing up getting lots of dental work. It had really taken a huge chunk of emotional energy. I have a bunch of temporary crowns in my mouth currently. I am not able to eat properly.

So I am kind of on get through this mode rather than self improvement currently.

I have started a little bit looking into the area of prehistory. Geological eras, prehistoric animals, things like that.

I have also been looking into the idea of exercising for better mental health. There is some research saying it can be pretty effective. It does not work for everyone, but then again neither do the mental health meds. And exercise does not have bad side effects.

So I am trying to exercise more even though I have been kind of low energy lately.
    KathyB

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I would call dental work "self improvement". You are taking care of your oral health, you will look and feel better afterward. I know it is a trial to have several fillings/crowns at the same time, but it is worth it.

Exercise does not have to be high energy. That is why I like yoga. It is a slow and thoughtful process. You don't have to do 100 sit ups to blaring music, but you will definitely feel your muscles afterward. And there's no weighing, measuring, or tracking to make you feel judged or inadequate.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did 30 minutes of exercise yesterday and I'm feeling it this morning in my butt and abs. I really like the workout I'm doing. It's intervals on the bike, then jumping jacks, butt kicks, bicep presses and others then I get back on the bike for a few more intervals. I go at a pace that works for me but it gets my heart pumping and me moving. I'm doing this workout every other day for 2 weeks and I can already tell a difference in my ability.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh started his cardiac rehab yesterday. He needs to up his calorie intake, per the rehab people. They couldn't believe how well he's done since leaving the hospital. He's lost 20 pounds, is eating right and now starting exercise. I have a group of church friends that will be starting a 3 month exercise thing next month. I'd start now, but I'm waiting for some new shoes to come in. Dh got new shoes and loves them. I've been having a lot of heal pain and wonder now if it's the memory foam in my shoes. Once the new shoes get here, I'll start with some stretching exercises. I have a DVD from the arthritis foundation (don't know where it came from) that I will start with. There are several levels, so I'll start off slow and then work my way up. Once dh finishes the rehab, we'll get a gym membership or buy some equipment for home use. I do need to eat better. I'm probably the only nut to get a frozen coke in freezing temps, but that's what I've been craving. Really need to cut that out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are these old shoes or new shoes you are having issues with?

Do need shoes with special arch support or are regular shoes okay for you?

You can buy shoe inserts to extend the life of old shoes a little bit. It you are crafty, you can also buy a role of insole material. This can be cut into the shape you need. Most shoe inserts you buy will need to be trimmed to fit your shoe as well. For insoles that are old and ratty, take the insole out and trace around it. If you want to keep the old insole in and just add more padding trace around the outside of sole onto card stock or the back of an old box. Stick it in the shoe and keep adjusting till it is the perfect size. Once you get the perfect size, then trace it on to the shoe insert or sheet of soling. I stupidly ruined a new pair of inserts by thinking I could estimate the shape.

For the shoe soling material, I glue fabric on the front, fold over fabric to cover the edges and glue the back. Then I glue the whole thing into the shoe. I have done this once to some worn out sneakers and a couple times to some dress shoes that had no padding at all. I like the way it makes the shoes look, especially for open toed shoes.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

KathyB - The shoes were both old and new. The new ones were to replace the old worn out ones but seem to be giving me trouble. I got some other new shoes that don't have the memory foam and got a compression ankle/sock support and that has helped so much. I'll keep the other shoes but will look for a heel insert to see if that helps. Thanks for the info on making your own insoles. I'll have to look into that. Also losing weight might help. I'm going to start to do a little exercise today. I also need to do better eating. I did great while dh was off work, but now, I seem to have fallen into my old habits. Need to drink more water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12