2020 Health, fitness, and self-improvement challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2020 Health, fitness, and self-improvement challenge

This is the place to discuss your diet plans, exercise goals, achievements and frustrations.

Name:  9edf78893e6c9e6c158b290648f06589.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  41.5 KB
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lost 30 pounds in 2019. I want to lose an additional 30 pounds minimum

1. Continue to eat better
    2. Establish consistent exercise routine
    3. Establish a routine personal care plan to include:
    monthly haircut, deep conditioner, eyebrow wax,
    mani and pedi, plus using all my Christmas stuff
    facial care, foot soak
    4. Start quilting
    5. Practice my instruments
    6. Book clubs and TBR
    7. Organize and eliminate all the paper
    8. Organize and declutter books

This is a lot, but how happy I would be to accomplish it all !!
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I desperately need to let go of 10 pounds, and I would very much like to get rid of 20. I cancelled My FitnessPal subscription to save us $50 a year, but I can use the free parts of it and still get the same benefit, so I will. I run a weight loss competition at school, and it's starting next week. I would love to win the competition to win the money, but also because I know that it's time.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since dh had a heart attack the day after Christmas, we are forced to change our lifestyle. Dh wants to lose 100 pounds and I want to lose 30. We will be eating healthy, low sodium/sugar foods. Portion control. Did I say Portion Control? Healthy snacking. Exercise as soon as dh is cleared. He'll start rehab in a few weeks. When he's ready we'll get a gym membership. There is a new planet fitness 3 miles away. Getting to bed early and waking up early to eat a good breakfast before dh goes to work. Get things done around the house instead of watching TV. Stay on top of the household chores. Keep the paper clutter to a minimum. I have so much shredding to do. We want to be more educated in a healthy lifestyle and set a better example for our children and grand children.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Giving up an hour of TV and instead walking around the house to tidy and do miscellaneous chores is a good plan. Water the plants, dust the things that never get dusted, wash a window, etc. It will pay off in the long run.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been trying to ride my stationary bike every night. I usually do it 3-4x/week but hope to get to 7x/wk. I must eat better and include more protein/veg/fruits. I think canned fruits is a start for me as they're softer and my GI system doesn't do well with raw/tough things. I've thought about adding baby food to my baking as the holistic lady said to make sure pureed or very soft items are in my diet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My recumbent-elliptical combo is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully DH will have it set up when I get home from work tomorrow.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been very sloppy with my eating habits so plan on cleaning that up this year. I am going back to the 80/20 rule, eat good 80% of the time and eat what I want 20% of the time. I also have decided to give up sweets for the next month, very hard for me. So no sweets until after Feb. 5. I want to get back to eating veggies at every meal again too.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is a little different than most posts on this thread, but this year is going to be for improving mental health. There may be some physical stuff too. But the mental health stuff is the top priority.

I am still working on the details. I will post more later.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree regarding mental health. It is an adjustment from thinking about work all the time to thinking about - something else. Figuring out what I want to focus on getting really GOOD at and not just squander all this new free time. Haven't got a plan yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did so well yesterday, and today, I blew it. Tomorrow is another day!

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    I agree regarding mental health. It is an adjustment from thinking about work all the time to thinking about - something else. Figuring out what I want to focus on getting really GOOD at and not just squander all this new free time. Haven't got a plan yet.
    Any time spent relaxing is not wasted.

As a general sense, anything we do should have a purpose. But "It makes me feel good" or "It makes me happy" or "It helps me relax" can all count as a purpose. So in that context things like doodling and looking at pictures of cute animals online have a purpose.

There is also the idea of rest and recovery. I think this overlaps quite a bit with relaxing, but it is not quite the same thing as relaxing. It is generally acknowledged that we need rest and recovery time and illness, surgery or some physical issue. But we sometimes forget or do not admit that we also need mental rest and recovery for things that are stressful as well.

I feel like mental health is not given as much important as physical health. Activities we do for our physical health are generally perceived positively. For example, even people who do not exercise think that exercising regularly is a good thing. But things that make us feel better mentally or emotionally are often looked down on by people as a waste of time. And sometimes people will look down on you further if your idea of what relaxes you is different than theirs. People might say it is silly, stupid, childish, an old lady/old guy hobby, geeky, weird, etc. Or not appropriate for a woman. Or too stereotypically feminine. Men can get grief for having a hobby that is seen as womanly and also for being too stereotypically masculine.

So one important step for me is too do relaxing things - or let yourself do nothing much - without feeling guilty. And to be unapologetic for what helps me relax and feel better. I am not hurting anyone or breaking any laws. I will do my best to ignore any people with negative opinions of my hobbies and interests.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

By "squander free time" I guess I mainly mean watching TV and surfing the internet. Sorry that seems to belittle people who do but I just don't see the point and there are studies of the effects of TV hours on brain activity/development. My husband spends HOURS daily on this. It seems very sad to me. (Most recently he watched Alien and the 2nd Alien movie again for the nth time?) My most passive activity is reading or listening to books. There are studies that suggest your brain operates differently when reading than when watching TV. Regarding the internet - I love it for for getting instructions/directions of how to do something I want to do. Example of the youtube for installing a separating zipper in a fleece jacket - a huge help. But I don't spend time looking at facebook posts of people I talk to at most once a year or used to work with years ago.

Some people may think the hours I spend walking the dog are wasted but I feel they are not. I enjoy seeing what is happening outside and in the neighborhood and enjoy seeing the dog so engaged with sniffing and running or just sitting and watching what is going on around us. Activities like putting a puzzle together engage the brain in problem solving as well as all our craft projects do. If I work on cross-stitch for an hour I just figure I am an hour closer to finishing that project. I also enjoy yard "work". Pulling weeds is a zen-like experience. Maybe it is the simple decision making involved - of weed/not-weed? (with the occasional "oops - that was not a weed".)

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I try to maintain a balance. It is good to let your body rest, let your heart rate come down, let the muscles relax, get a good sleep, etc. Especially if you are older, or sick, or stressed. It's also good to have engaging, productive hobbies, like sewing, cooking, gardening, sports or music that keep your body and brain active. And I think it is good to have a little entertainment, like tv, movies, board games, or computer games which let you play, fantasize, compete, and interact with others in a relaxed setting.

It's also important to realize that what works for you may not work for others. I need 10 hours sleep to feel rested. A lot of people would call that "lazy". DH works in a stressful environment where he makes decisions that affect other people. He likes to come home and play mindless computer games to relax. He can stop after a couple of hours and go do other things. I've known people who were unable to do that, to stop and cook dinner, take care of their kids, or get to work the next day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did not eat well today. I will do better tomorrow.

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast