Looking for salad "recipes"
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Looking for salad "recipes"

Dh and I are trying to incorporate more regular salads into our menu. We always have a side salad with every meal...but we decided that if we had salad as a main dish 3 times a week, it would help out our weight loss quest and also cut 3 meals out of our budget, since we already have most of the salad fixin's on hand!

So I am looking for good "recipes" for green, leafy salads (no pasta or potato salads, please). What kinds of combinations of things do you put on your salads? Does anyone have any great salad dressing recipes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hey I found out a way to save on dressing and keep from over dressing (more calorie) I load my salad (before or after you add stuff, your preference) Into a bowl with a lid, add dressing, just a bit at first, (you will be amazed how much it covers) and shake and pour back into bowl. Each leaf gets some.
    My mother used to take it and put it in her spinner and add the dressing and spin it on it. But I tend to lose alot that way.
    Just a crazy...tip..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have done this before. I usually set all the fixings out on the table like a salad bar. Our main "meal" salads are:
    Chef Salads
    whatever veggies we want plus ham and boiled eggs

Taco Salads
    Lettuce, tomato, cheese, salsa, sour cream, a few tortilla chips for crunch, taco meat and/or beans

Grilled Chicken Salads
    Veggies and grilled chicken or tuna

Fajita salad or grilled steak salad.
    It takes a lot less meat to top a salad than to feed all of us as a main dish.

I let you know if I think of other ideas

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should mention that my three kids, (13, 12, and 9 years old) will eat all of these. Only one of my kids even uses dressing. They have been asking for salads lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It really is a delicious salad that my grandmother used to make.
    It could be adapted with low fat mayo and substitute sweetner.

Banana salad:

green leaf lettuce, romaine or iceburg
    sliced banana
    chopped peanuts

Dressing was a blend of mayo, milk to thin and some sugar to sweeten.

A waldorf salad is also good for a change of pace. I like mine wtih curry powder in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like to open some chick peas and beets as additions. Banana peppers, craisins, wheatberries are all preferred toppings here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our favorites are spring mix with dried cranberries and feta cheese and spring mix with orange sections and sliced almonds. You can make either into a main course salad by making them larger and adding a little chicken.

For dressing most of the time I just drizzle a little EVOO on the salad followed by a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I learned this trick when we were on vacation. I asked for "oil and vinegar" dressing which where I come from means basically italian dressing. The waitress brought a container of oil and a container of vinegar. I guess that is what I ordered, but had never had it come that way before. I tried it and it is surprisingly good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My salads always seem to be a combination of whatever I have in the kitchen or garden that is low in calories and is edible. So, I will add, fat free cheese, a small amount of raisins or cranberries, low fat feta, cucumbers, apples, carrots, onions, grapes, green peppers, berries (whatever I have). If I want meat on it, I always have turkey peperoni or turkey sandwhich meat in the fridge and I just put a little on there.

If you are losing weight, I know it may not be the most frugal thing, but I find those salad spritzer dressings (that spray) help. they are usually one calorie a spray and they last a long time. Other than that, the shaking idea is a good one.

I find that when I eat a big salad at least one meal a day, then I do much better with my weight loss. If you have ever seen the weight watcher point thing, I can make a salad with the stuff above for very few points and it will be HUGE. If you like Italian dressing, I find that the Kraft Fat Free one is pretty good and you can get bigger sizes for cheaper at BJs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are some of my favorite salads:

Baby spinach, pineapple chunks, blue cheese (or feta), grilled chicken, honey mustard dressing.

Romaine, strawberries, almonds (or walnuts), parm cheese, grilled chicken, poppyseed dressing.

Romaine, breaded chicken tenders, hard boiled egg, cheddar cheese, green onions, honey mustard dressing (or ranch).

Romaine, buffalo chicken tender**, blue cheese, diced celery, ranch/blue cheese dressing. **to make buffalo chicken tenders, prepare breaded chicken tenders as directed. Place into a bowl with melted butter and Franks Red Hot sauce. Place lid on bowl and shake to cover tenders with sauce.

Spinach, grilled chicken, dried cranberries, green onions, parm cheese, sliced almonds, raspberry vinegrette.

Romaine, taco meat (or grilled chicken), black beans, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, salsa & ranch.