Juicing anyone?

Thread: Juicing anyone?

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Juicing anyone?

I'm not sure if this post goes here but here goes:

I'M GETTING A JUICER ! My mom has been wanting that jack lalane $$$$ juicer. Well after Christmas she called and they were having a 2 for 1 special so she is giving me the other one. now I'm just tickeled .

So tell me about juicing....innundate me with all your knowlege. I cant wait to hear what you say. It should be here any day. I want to be ready.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Always add a little canned tomato to your version of V8, it just tasted better!!
    Dont forget your going to have the $hits at first but dont give up!
    Ummmm......try out lots of different stuff, and get some seeds ordered now to grow your own stuff or you'll go broke buying it because it is so danged good!!
    Oh yeah, carrots and oranges ROCK together!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have that juicer, and I'm not wild about it. It is a pain in the butt to clean, and you have to clean it every time you use it, and you should really juice each time you want fresh juice, as it loses vitamins when left in the fridge.

That said, my favourite is carrots with apple and pear. I typically do 2 carrots, one apple, and one pear. So good....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nvmommyx6 View Post
    Always add a little canned tomato to your version of V8, it just tasted better!!
    Dont forget your going to have the $hits at first but dont give up!
    Ummmm......try out lots of different stuff, and get some seeds ordered now to grow your own stuff or you'll go broke buying it because it is so danged good!!
    Oh yeah, carrots and oranges ROCK together!!!

roflmbo CJ you crack me up! But thanks for that IMPORTANT advice. I've got those seeds ordered and in my possession girl. I cant wait for summer.

Accck madhen, what a bummer that it's a pita to clean. Oh well, I'll get over it. The juice idea sounds awesome! I cant wait.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got it for Christmas.....LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My kids love fresh apple juice (course I love that I add a few carrots to it and they drink it happily!!)

Pain to clean??? I guess, like anything else, but I love that I can use the pulp in my compost pile.

I haven't gotten too adventurous with it yet - we need to share stories as we learn!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is a bit of a pain to clean, I actually use my blender now for smoothies more often, cuz you can just blend up the soapy water in there and it's done!

But I still use my juicer. It's much sweeter and more flavorful than smoothies because it's not bogged down with all the pulp. I do apple-carrot-celery most often, because they are nice long lasting and cheap ingredients.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have the same juicer; my mom gave it to me when she bought a new one. We love it . . . the kids love picking their own fruit at breakfast and Ri helps me put it through the machine. Like MadHen said though, we drink whatever we make right then; it's not as good otherwise. I also *just* got notice that I am getting one of my wishlist books from Paperbackswap . . . it is the juicing book written by his wife and it gives you recipes for juice AND what you can make with the leftover pulp. I've been wanting that book for a while. Previously, we have just been dumping the pulp into the compost. HTH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got tired of cleaning a juicer, then spending my day trying to incorporate all the leftover pulp in foods, like muffins, pancakes, cookies, etc. I couldn't stand tossing it in the compost pile. We just went to eating whole foods, instead.

Word of caution, consuming large quantities of carrot juice can raise the blood sugar of people with blood glucose challenges. Consult your doctor if you are diabetic concerning juicing.

Some of my favorite recipes:

Energy Shake (Breakfast)
    Handful parsley
    4-6 carrots
    Bunch up parsley and push through hopper with carrots.

Garden Salad Special (Lunch)
    3 broccoli flowerets
    1 garlic clove
    4-5 carrots or 2 tomatoes
    2 stalks celery
    1/2 green pepper

Potassium Broth (Lunch)
    Handful parsley
    Handful spinach
    4-5 carrots
    2 stalks celery

Pink Morning Tonic (Breakfast)
    1 pink grapefruit, peeled
    1 Red Delicious apple, seeded

Waldorf Salad (Mid-morning)
    1 green apple, seeded
    1 stalk celery

Evening Regulator (Bedtime Snack)
    2 apples, seeded
    1 pear

Ginger Hopper (Mid-Morning)
    1/4-inch slice ginger root
    4-5 carrots
    1/2 apple, seeded

Zippy Spring Tonic (Mid-Afternoon)
    Handful dandelion greens
    3 pineapple rings
    3 radishes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default OOOOooooo, So Excited!

I got my Valentine's Day present from my honey early! We had found a Breville Juice Fountain Plus JE95XL at a liquidation outlet store yesterday. These are regularly priced at $200+, but was marked down to $75! Well, this norning he surprised me with it and I immediately put it to use. Today was shopping day, so I was already running low on fresh fruits and veggies, but I made do with what I had for the initial run. I juiced:

1 large, peeled tangelo
    4 strawberries
    2 kiwis

It was a really nice, fruity, pick-you-up kind of drink. I felt so good after drinking it, just really "healthy" and energized! I can't wait for tomorrow: we found some great deals on Granny Smith apples, navel oranges, celery, spinach and lemons and limes! I'm gonna juice my butt off! (Hopefully both figuratively AND literally!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the "pain in the neck" side of things. These gadgets are a pain to clean. We do use an old-fashioned juicer for orange juice ... so good, and no leftover bits to find uses for. It's just a mess, every time. We were given a food processor a few years back, used it a few times and that was enough. Nooks and crannies, parts & pieces. Not worth it for us.