smoothie help..

Thread: smoothie help..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default smoothie help..

ok..i'm not a smoothie drinker but want to be...

i work out twice a week with a trainer (soon to be 3 times a week) and i have to eat before i go..but at 530am, its hard...she wants me to eat
    1/3 c oatmeal
    a fruit
    a few almonds

or even all bran and milk and fruit and almonds..

could i ....

blend,
    frozen berries and half a frozen banana
    a packet of instant oatmeal (will sweeten and its finer)
    a bit of ground flax and wheat germ..
    some milk (maybe i could try van. yogurt which i dont eat)

blend up...what do you all think??? i know just try it....but i'm chicken...lol...

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i'd personally choose to go with the berry smoothie since 1. they taste good and 2. its easy to drink

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We drink smoothies at our house. The almonds are for protein so you might be able to sub a protein powder instead.

Here's what I throw in the blender.
    frozen berries
    banana (if the kids haven't eaten them all)
    protein powder (vanilla)
    greens powder
    a couple of frozen beets
    some frozen kale or other greens (not too much - 1/4c maybe?)
    juice and water
    Sometimes I throw in lemon juice or dandelion tincture as they are good for cleansing the liver and kidneys

I don't measure anything except the protein powder and greens powder which come with scoops! lol.

My kids don't even notice the other goodies in there.

Oh, and I don't see why you couldn't put some oats in there.

Basically it sounds like what the trainer is looking for is good quality nutrition (fruit), protein (almonds) and low glycemic carbs (oatmeal).
    Last edited by HomeschoolMom; 03-01-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adding info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

depending on the type of smoothie, sometimes i'll make a "creamy" smoothie with tofu. but knowing tofu isn't for everyone, you could always supplement a milk/dairy to make a creamy-smoothie.
    i've also known people to use ricotta cheese to creamy it up a little, with a bunch of fruits/berries/juicy veg.

what sounds good to you? then start from there... and play around with different flavours.

ask your trainer - sometimes they have really good ideas....BUT she might also require you to have something solid in your stomach to work out, rather than a smoothie, which (depending on how it's made) can fly right through you.
    I'd start with asking the trainer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by celina View Post
    ok..i'm not a smoothie drinker but want to be...

i work out twice a week with a trainer (soon to be 3 times a week) and i have to eat before i go..but at 530am, its hard...she wants me to eat
    1/3 c oatmeal
    a fruit
    a few almonds

or even all bran and milk and fruit and almonds..

could i ....

blend,
    frozen berries and half a frozen banana
    a packet of instant oatmeal (will sweeten and its finer)
    a bit of ground flax and wheat germ..
    some milk (maybe i could try van. yogurt which i dont eat)

blend up...what do you all think??? i know just try it....but i'm chicken...lol...
    I'd agree..just try it. Actually I'm going to go grocery shopping for some ingredients to start making smoothies for breakky as well ... I have a hard time 'eating breakfast' every day. I wake up at 6.30am but won't make my toast at work until 9-9.30am - not good for me

The only thing I'd suggest changing is not using the intsant packets of oatmeal. That kind of oatmeal is more processed = more sugar, less nutrients and will spike your blood sugar levels. Instead buy the 2kg bag of Quaker quick oats - no flavour and ground them up into a a powder and toss it into your shake. You should find out if your trainer wanted you to eat 1/3 cup COOKED or PRE-COOKED? Just measure out the pre-cooked amount and grind it up. Then you'll know how much oatmeal powder you'll need to add to each smoothie.

I would second asking your trainer on suggestions for breakky items/smoothies and explain you just can't eat that early. At least have a milk and a fruit with the almonds and come home to have the oatmeal after or have the oatmeal at work if you go straight to work from the gym each am. Use the trainer, thats why you're paying them right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is a good "protien" smoothie recipe, for those who are faint at heart about trying smoothies!

1 packet of K20 protien powder (don't add water, just use the pouch as is) The mixed berry one works really well in this!
    1/2 banana
    a small handful of berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, each will have it's own taste, but they'll be good)
    1/2 cup of non fat vanilla yogurt (or skim milk if you want it less creamy)

You can add the instant oatmeal if you like, but the K20 packet has 5 grams of fiber...so if that is the point of the oatmeal, you don't really need it! Blend it up well in your blender and add 2 ice cubes and I guarantee you won't be dissapointed!

If you get braver, you can try this smoothie... 1/4 cup spinach, 1/2 cup grapes and 1/2 cup non fat yogurt. As gross as it sounds, it's really good! Tastes like grapes...oh, and I add a couple of ice cubes too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Momto2Boyz - not trying to be argumentative here but I think the purpose of the oatmeal is yes the fibre but also for the carb portion b/c she will be burning it off...she'll need something to give her energy as she burns it off. Thats what I remember being told by the trainer - but I could be mistaken?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love smoothies yes your idea would work but I would use the yogurt, 1Tbs in your smoothie and maybe some stevia to sweeten as needed or some honey. I also add 1 raw egg for protein and whip in blender on high. I use frozen fuit and oj yogurt and 1/2 tsp vanilla. 1 egg I also add chia seeds for omega 3's. Don't be scared to experiment. Have fun and enjoy, Drink up and enjoy your day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i don't know how healthy my smoothies are but they sure are yummy....

1 scoop soy protein powder
    1 small bananna
    1/2 cup soy milk or ice if you are out of milk
    1 T ground flax seed
    then whichever fruit you are feeling that day.... i use pineapple, peaches, pears, oranges, mandarin oranges, berries, etc.....

i have a personal size blender so its super easy and convenient to make anytime....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just blogged about this idea today.

I watched a great tip on making smoothies over at funwithfoodstorage.net and the girls there were saying that you could take your yogurt, put it into ice cube trays and then freeze it.

Once frozen just pop them out and place into a Ziploc freezer baggie, then when you are ready to blend just toss a couple yogurt cubes into the blender along with your juice, fruit & ice.

Just thought I'd share since this was smoothie related.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...