Does anyone else live sugar-free?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does anyone else live sugar-free?

I searched the forums and couldn't find a similar thread. If this doesn't belong her, feel free to move.

Back to my original question.

I've been eating & living without sugar for about 1-1/2 years and wondered if anyone else is too?

Let me be more specific - by sugar free I mean:

No refined sugars, no artificial sweeteners, no 'ose' anything, no hfcs and no white flours, rice, pastas or breads

I use stevia, agave and local raw honey to sweeten, if necessary...

I have NOT however, given up my dark chocolate -- a little every now and then satisfies...

Sometimes I feel so weird and all alone...Anyone else out there?????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i wish i could i try to eat healthy but i am also lazy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do my best to live sugar free. I try stay away from processed carbs all together. I do occassionally slip and have something sweet, but it is rare.

I've learned that not eating sweets, and things made with white flour is the only way I can keep my weight down. For me, it's less about calories and fat (although, I do keep an eye on portion control) and more about carbs and specifically sugar.

People think we are weird too. Our kids eat very little sugar, have almost no candy or sweets. About the only time we have treats is birthdays and holidays. The only person who didn't think it was weird was the dentist. He could tell that the kids don't eat sugar when he looked at their teeth! So at least someone was on my side!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

wow and I literally thought i was alone on this one!!!
    i rarely eat anything with "sugar" (as we've come to know it).
    organic/raw - to me - is different. (ie, honey, agave, as you mentioned)

i RARELY eat anything that's processed anyway. i've come to find i simply detest the taste for the things like you mentioned. and YES i can definitely tell if something's been made w/artificial sweeteners or "sugar".

by choice, i do my best not to consume this type of food.
    however, there are times (usually social occasions (like bdays, etc.)) that I will take my obligatory bite.

i've found i dont have dips in energy, my blood sugar is more balanced and i dont have bizarre cravings.

i tend to make my own "sweets", but i'm not a sweet foods eater really. just every now & again. but more than likely, it's something i've made myself.

thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not totally ~ I use white sugar on occasion and sub in splenda quite a bit. I'm only allowed 200 carbs a day so I have to be strict on what I eat. Some days are better than others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wish! I have a horrible sweet tooth. A couple of years ago, however, I gave up sugar, and I never felt better. I had so much energy, and I was losing about 0.5-1 lb/week. Then someone made/bought a birthday cake for me, and I had a slice because they were hurt that I wasn't going to....and it was like the flood gates opened.

I applaud the rest of you for eating in such a healthy way

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by perSue View Post
    wow and I literally thought i was alone on this one!!!
    i rarely eat anything with "sugar" (as we've come to know it).
    organic/raw - to me - is different. (ie, honey, agave, as you mentioned)

i RARELY eat anything that's processed anyway. i've come to find i simply detest the taste for the things like you mentioned. and YES i can definitely tell if something's been made w/artificial sweeteners or "sugar".

by choice, i do my best not to consume this type of food.
    however, there are times (usually social occasions (like bdays, etc.)) that I will take my obligatory bite.

i've found i dont have dips in energy, my blood sugar is more balanced and i dont have bizarre cravings.

i tend to make my own "sweets", but i'm not a sweet foods eater really. just every now & again. but more than likely, it's something i've made myself.

thanks for sharing.

OMG! I'm thrilled to read that there others like me on this board. The reason I posted this question is I'm interested in knowing how you deal with the day to day 'offers' you might get from friends or neighbors re: desserts, ice cream, chips, pasta etc. Sometimes I say "No thank you. If they insist, I'll say "I'm allergic". In many ways, I feel sick after eating 'sugar & processed foods" so that's what I say...BUT sometimes that leads to "Oh what happens to you?"

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, hypo-glycemia about 11 years ago and started changing my diet ever since. Just over a year ago, I completely did away with sugar and it's relatives. I really don't want to get into specifics with people and sometimes "no thank you" doesn't seem enough for them.

Actually, I really would love to start some kind of blog or forum where we can share our daily 'victories and struggles. I know it's not easy. Anyone else interested in sharing?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willychez View Post
    Actually, I really would love to start some kind of blog or forum where we can share our daily 'victories and struggles. I know it's not easy. Anyone else interested in sharing?
    You could start a Sugar-free social group. At the top of the page, in the blue bar, click on "community" and then social groups.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes! We do not use sugar or refined products or sugar substitutes either, except we put 1/2 cup sugar cane crystals in a 5 loaf batch of whole wheat bread and 2 Tbsp in a 10" cast iron pan of yeast cornbread. As I mentioned on another thread, I raised my 3 kids to not think of dessert as the great reward for slogging through a meal of beans, veggies, etc. They did not grow up with a sweet tooth or eating junk food. Not long ago, my 36 yo DD said to me, "Mom, I am SO thankful that you didn't get us hooked on junk food and eating between meals. You don't know how much I appreciate that!" That made me feel really, really good

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willychez View Post
    OMG! I'm thrilled to read that there others like me on this board. The reason I posted this question is I'm interested in knowing how you deal with the day to day 'offers' you might get from friends or neighbors re: desserts, ice cream, chips, pasta etc. Sometimes I say "No thank you. If they insist, I'll say "I'm allergic". In many ways, I feel sick after eating 'sugar & processed foods" so that's what I say...BUT sometimes that leads to "Oh what happens to you?"

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, hypo-glycemia about 11 years ago and started changing my diet ever since. Just over a year ago, I completely did away with sugar and it's relatives. I really don't want to get into specifics with people and sometimes "no thank you" doesn't seem enough for them.

Just tell people you are pre-diabetic. I am and when I say that, the questions stop

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm also glad to see this thread, not that I'm sugar free, but am wanting to begin eliminating it from my diet.

Momto2Boyz, a couple years ago I went almost totally sugar free, I dropped 20 lbs. in about 3 months.
    So I know that it has a direct impact on my weight.

Thanks to willychez for starting this thread & to FV!!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well, how _I_ deal with ppl who offer me foods like that is simply to state "I dont like that kind of food" or "I just dont eat that" or whatever.

I'm honest. I dont say anything like "i'm allergic" anymore cuz well it's a lie & secondly i dont wanna get into the details of bloating, potty trips, sickness for days, feeling low in energy, mental fog, etc...

so I smile and politely say "no thank you, i'm not hungry" or "i really shouldn't today" & nod knowingly.

lol it's silly, it's a game... but I just shrug it off.

I deal with the same thing since i'm lactose intolerant... you'd _think_ more ppl would be understanding, but in public/in groups of ppl i've been asked "what happens"... NOT a dinner table discussion!!! LOL
    So I just kindly say "oh no thank you. not today!" or "i've already had dessert, thank you".

If it's an at work deal... where you're "expected" to participate, take your own something!! i've taken protein bars that look like "candy" or taken in my own dessert (i stash in my desk/purse, wherever).

decoys can work to your advantage.

hope this helps.

let me know

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am basically sugar free. I eat fresh fruit, which has sugars in it, and veggies have some sugars. But I don't think that is what you mean. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, which helps.

I chose this path for three reasons. One, the only way I can control my weight to stay low carb. Two, added sugar in my diet makes me feel sluggish and bloated. Three, my blood sugars seem to be very sensitive to sugars and carbs. They spike quickly and then crash, leaving me shaky and nauseous. So I feel healthier and have more energy if I avoid sugars.

That's not to say that I never have sugar. Some has to be used when baking with yeast, to feed the yeast. But it doesn't have to be much. I'll occasionally have a bite of birthday cake or similar celebratory foods (but I really don't like cake at all).

I don't make excuses, nor do I feel that I owe any excuses. I just say that I am watching my weight and that I am trying to eat healthy. My family and friends know my aversion to cake, so that's no problem anymore.

I find this type of eating to be very easy, even when eating out. After all these years of trying various kinds of diets, it was such a relief to be able to go low carb and never feel deprived.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am on the Atkins diet so I don't eat a lot of sugar or carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast