Homemade Brown Rice a roni?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Homemade Brown Rice a roni?

Anyone have a tried and true recipe? I can find some things on the net but would like someone's tested recipe. DH's blood sugar is up and so we need to increase whole grains and decrease white carbs. I'm off to use some instant brown rice I've got in an experiment, but if it stinks I'd like something to fall back on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I have this and made it a couple times long ago. But not sure. I'll look and see. Didn't know it was decent for diabetics tho. Definitely have to look and see and will also watch your thread in case someone actually has it for sure. Wish there was a diabetic section in the Food catagory for recipes.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you know there are whole-grain versions of Rice-a-Roni?
    http://www.ricearoni.com/rar_products/riceARoni/savory/

But it has a whopping 42-grams of carbs per serving. It's suggested to keep to 30-grams of LOW-GLYCEMIC carbohydrates per meal and 10-30-grams of low-glycemic carbs. for snacks. I don't consider this a good choice for someone with a blood glucose challenge, and I doubt that you can improve a rice/pasta dish by making your own mixture.

Uncle Ben's Converted rice has the lowest G.I. (Glycemic Index) value - 44 - and is a better choice than many other kinds of rice. Basmati is also a good choice. Also keep in mind 1/2-cup is a serving.....

You can increase the resistant starch in rice if you allow it to cool before you eat it. You can find more information about resistant starch at this link: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nut...tantstarch.htm

Try sticking to whole foods (apples rather than apple sauce or apple juice), as well as choices on the lower half of the Glycemic Index of Foods.
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/
    http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

I use chana dal in side dishes, soups, dips.... It's one of the lowest foods on the GI. http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

Health-care professionals are suggesting increasing your use of legumes/beans more than whole grains these days. I recreate recipes for a health-care professional who works with people with blood glucose conditions. I take their favorite recipes and adjust them so they are low-glycemic. I've been asked to incorporate more bean flour in baked goods for her patients, not just whole grains. I've also been adding Hi-Maize Resistant Starch to baked goods and other foods, which she also agrees improves the products for people with blood glucose conditions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks grainlady. I looked at the box of 'whole grain' rice a roni and set it back down. I've always eaten brown rice and other 'healthy' foods but saying dh is resistant is an understatement. I'm trying to ease him into it. I finally made the rice with chicken stock, parsley, onion and mrs dash. It was ok but he dumped a ton of salt on it to get it down. ~sigh~ I swear my kids eat anything but his mom raised him on white bread and bologna and tv dinners. I'll keep trying.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

theres one on the hillibillyhousewife.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just took a diabetes education class a couple of months ago, as I wanted the nutrition counceling in order to best plan meals that my family would eat and would also be healthy for me. In the class I was surprised to learn that our bodies will digest white rice and brown rice the same, the rice is a carb. and it will be processed and effect our sugar the same. From a diabetic stand point the only rice that would effect our blood sugar the least is a long grain wild rice. In the class I took, the nutritionist strongly pushed limiting the salt intake, because of the higher risk of heart issues people with diabetes has. If your husband will eat the white rice without all the added salt, I would serve him white. Encourage him to be mindful of his his serving sizes (1/3 cup of cooked rice), and balancing his carbs out with plenty of nonstarchy vegies and protein.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sahm2boys View Post
    theres one on the spam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typed.com
    Thanks SAHM2boys. Why didn't I think to look there, duh!

Just peachy, my understanding is that the fiber slows the release of the starch into the system thus making the load the same but spreading it out. He hasn't been declared diabetic, the MD just thought his fasting glucose stayed a little high and that metformin would help. HELLO! How about a dietary change? Doc said nothing about that so I stepped in. ( I have an MS in nutrition but that doesn't always translate to patient compliance :p )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry I tried to be helpful with information that is currently being taught by the ADA. Didn't mean to overstep onto your nutrition degree. Because we all know that current research doesn't result in a change in how things are taught.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by justpeachy92 View Post
    Sorry I tried to be helpful with information that is currently being taught by the ADA. Didn't mean to overstep onto your nutrition degree. Because we all know that current research doesn't result in a change in how things are taught.
    I wasn't trying to be snippy, honest. Just wanted you to know why I was looking at the brown rice. I hate there's no tone on computer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
    I wasn't trying to be snippy, honest. Just wanted you to know why I was looking at the brown rice. I hate there's no tone on computer.
    I hate it also. That's why alot of times I put a word in bold to emphasize so it might come out better. Or capitalize a word. I know somethings I say dosent' come out right in an even tone.

Anyway, I looked and looked and can't find it if I had it in the first place. I just emailed my husband pieces of the conversation on this page however. He needs to read it also.

He's stubborn like yours but he IS coming around, slowly but surely. Fingers crossed for yours and hugs to you for patience.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I never liked brown rice until I had it baked.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

It comes out soft and nutty. You can put anything in it, vegs, nuts, dried fruit, herbs. I use a little extra butter on mine, I think it improves the "mouthfeel", makes it richer and less starchy.

Have you tried serving it with pork chops or a roast where you can dole out a big spoon of gravy or au jus to flavor it with?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown